News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Bad Ad Day

Started by PPI Karl, January 08, 2010, 01:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Karl

I know, it's got nothin' to do with anything else on this forum, but . . .

Some advertising just completely baffles me:

???
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Karl on January 08, 2010, 01:18:24 PM

???

Yeah, I know.  My brother just can't seem to catch a break.

PPI Brian

LOL.  ;D Another ad they ran with the same picture was "President Obama wants you to go back to school".
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Brian M on January 08, 2010, 01:32:50 PM
LOL.  ;D Another ad they ran with the same picture was "President Obama wants you to go back to school".

And Dick Cheney wants you to get a haircut . . . hippie!  ;)
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Karl

Quote from: TAPS Tracy on January 08, 2010, 01:25:56 PM
Quote from: PPI Karl on January 08, 2010, 01:18:24 PM

???

Yeah, I know.  My brother just can't seem to catch a break.

LOL!  My brother looked just like this, too!  (No joking!)  And, my father was a barber.  'Xplains a lot, don't it.

PPI Tracy

So did mine. Without the beard and stache.  He had the long "Bon Jovi" hair....nice....thick....blonde....bastard!  The reason he finally cut it all off was he was mixing concrete and his hair fell into the bucket.  He had the opposite of concrete shoes.  So SNIP, SLASH, CUT, CUT, CUT......and long haired Andy turned into Billy Idol !

PPI Karl

Quote from: TAPS Tracy on January 08, 2010, 02:01:30 PM
So did mine. Without the beard and stache.  He had the long "Bon Jovi" hair....nice....thick....blonde....bastard!  The reason he finally cut it all off was he was mixing concrete and his hair fell into the bucket.  He had the opposite of concrete shoes.  So SNIP, SLASH, CUT, CUT, CUT......and long haired Andy turned into Billy Idol !

That's hilarious (because he wasn't hurt, of course :o).  Does he still keep his hair long?

I have this stark recollection of my brother back in the 70s tucking up all of that hair under a wig so that he could fulfill his obligations for the Air National Guard one Saturday every month. 

PPI Tracy

No. No more long hair for Andy. My brother cut his hair 20 years ago.  It was funny because he had his hair long for years and one day I came over to his house to baby sit my nephew who was about 3 months old, so his wife and he could actually go out and have a nice date.  (zack is now 14...wow, times goes by fast)  anyway......so, Andy comes down the stairs, he is all dressed but that mane of hair he had was all tucked up into the towel, turbin style.  So, he turns to me and says, "wanna see something really scary"?  Then he takes the towel off of his head and voila!.....Billy Idol!  Needless to say, it took me the better part of an hour to recover. He looks so much better with short hair anyway though.  He was not hurt when his hair fell into the concrete, but he had just gotten it braided into tiny braids everywhere (terrifying visual, I know) and 3/4 of them just plopped into the bucket when he stooped over.  He got so mad that he went and got it cut that day......and has never grown it long again.  Sorry to go on and on.......his long hair was the stuff of legends in our house for years.

ljiljanac

Nix the mustache and beard, add a crap load of makeup and hairspray, and you have almost every guy I knew back in the 80's.  HA!   ;D

PPI Brian

Just saw this ad again on the AT&T website. This time the heading read: Mom's return to School. Click here to find out more" or words to that effect. I have no clue why the ad would include a picture of a guy with a beard. Maybe it's just me...

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Brian M on January 09, 2010, 02:38:06 PM
Just saw this ad again on the AT&T website. This time the heading read: Mom's return to School. Click here to find out more" or words to that effect. I have no clue why the ad would include a picture of a guy with a beard. Maybe it's just me...

The new paradigm in advertising must be to dump the ad copy and just rely on the subliminal reactions to imagery; I guess we're just going back to the basics of propaganda, really.  This one's almost like an ink blot test, though!  "Mrs. Dalmer, tell me what you see in this ad?" "I see my son moving back in and me needing a job to support him for the rest of my life."  Hey, moms!  Return to school. Click here to find out more.  ;D

ljiljanac

He reminds me of the American Al-Qaeda guy.  Maybe that is a government subliminal message... "our country is great because we send our women to school, help our people out of debt, and, therefore, we're over there for a reason" thing.  In the end, I seriously just wanna know who that guy is, if he's going to be the next Geico commercial guy, and how much they paid him for his mug.     :)

PPI Tim

Can you hair me now? ;D This guy looks like he totally trilled being in this ad.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Brian

Here's another one.

Maybe it's just me, but this one doesn't make any sense either. ???

PPI Tracy

Somewhere in heaven, Frank Zappa is going, "Damn.....where did I put my California driver license"?

PPI Brian

Oh my. I stumbled across another one this morning and had to share it with you:

I suppose this ad makes a little more sense. This guy needs to refinance his mortgage. He can't even afford to cut his hair for cryin' out loud.  :)

ljiljanac

I Googled this a little bit and found some "interesting" websites addressing the guy in the ad.  Apparently, we are not the only ones wondering who he is and what this is all about.  One site threw out the words "Obama" and "propaganda".  When I first saw one of the early ads, the word "propaganda" jumped out at me for a second.  I believe it was the wording coupled with the photo.  The photo is so out-of-place to me in those ads and is in all of those ads.  Upon Google-ing the ads, I was surprised to hear that word thrown around in at least one website. 

Could it be that the ads are meant to be a play-on what is going on in the world today?  Obama is addressing economic and education issues, America is fighting in the Middle East, and the physical appearance of the guy in the ads remings me of John Phillips Walker Lindh, the American found to be an Al-Qaeda member.  The Marine Corps introduced me to propaganda, the uses of psychological "warfare" to drive you nuts, and the uses of visual cues with creative wording to make a point, either overtly or subliminally.  I don't know what the intention of the creator of these ads is (for all I know, he really is selling insurance or lowering bills), but I admit I find these ads disturbing.

Gary

Maybe he's the anti-christ and he's just getting his face out there for his big appearance!  If you wanna believe that!   >:]
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

ljiljanac

You neeeeevvveeeerrr knooooooooow!    :D   What I DO know is that he's kinda fugly.  Yes, I meant fugly with an f.    ;)

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Lillie on January 20, 2010, 04:53:49 PM
I Googled this a little bit and found some "interesting" websites addressing the guy in the ad.  Apparently, we are not the only ones wondering who he is and what this is all about.  One site threw out the words "Obama" and "propaganda".  When I first saw one of the early ads, the word "propaganda" jumped out at me for a second.  I believe it was the wording coupled with the photo.  The photo is so out-of-place to me in those ads and is in all of those ads.  Upon Google-ing the ads, I was surprised to hear that word thrown around in at least one website. 

Could it be that the ads are meant to be a play-on what is going on in the world today?  Obama is addressing economic and education issues, America is fighting in the Middle East, and the physical appearance of the guy in the ads remings me of John Phillips Walker Lindh, the American found to be an Al-Qaeda member.  The Marine Corps introduced me to propaganda, the uses of psychological "warfare" to drive you nuts, and the uses of visual cues with creative wording to make a point, either overtly or subliminally.  I don't know what the intention of the creator of these ads is (for all I know, he really is selling insurance or lowering bills), but I admit I find these ads disturbing.

Damn girl.....you're GOOD!  (and totally right on)

ljiljanac

Shellshock

where was I when these ads were out? I never saw this guy and those ads till now.
Big *Eeeeeeew*... I kinda wish I never checked this thread topic. Cuz,You're right, the Dude is DEFINITELY FUUUUUGLY !  :-[
XoXo

PPI Tracy

Now they have some old dude who looks like someone gave him a nasty wedgie.  He literally looks like he wants to murder someone.

PPI Tim

I've seen this guy in alot of ads. The only one this hasn't been in and I think he would be perfect for a GIECO as a caveman.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Tim on April 23, 2010, 01:44:00 PM
I've seen this guy in alot of ads. The only one this hasn't been in and I think he would be perfect for a GIECO as a caveman.

BINGO!

PPI Brian

Okay, these guys are doing it again. I have no clue what this picture has to do with this ad. Can somebody make sense of this? Anybody?

PPI Debra

He's a scary dude!
Those ads are always a bit "off".
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Karl

Apparently, this is what age 55 is supposed to look like?  In the wizarding world, I believe the correct response would be
"Avada Kedavra"

Speaking of bad ads, does anyone else laugh when they hear, "Symbicort controlls my aesthma at night"?  I hear "miasma" instead of "my aesthma," every damn time. :D 

PPI Tracy

The commercial that TOTALLY cracks me up is the one for Popeye's Chicken.  This African American woman is in a kitchen with cooks in the background, wearing an apron.  She is talking about how wonderful her chicken and french fries are.  How fab the spices are and how delicious it is.  After hawking it for what seems like 10 minutes straight, she takes a box full of the "fab" food, looks at the camera with admiration and says, "Popeye's Chicken and Fries....It's to DIE for!"   

I then crack up when I say out loud...."yeah....LITERALLY!"   |8x

PPI Tim

Since when does a wizard have mortgage problems.