News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Lake Hodges Monster

Started by PPI Brian, August 13, 2007, 11:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Looks like we have our own lake monster right in our own backyard:

http://www.hodgee.com/
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

bellalaghoste

Cool I would like to see her sometime I wish we had one in Southern Cali.

PPI Brian

Quote from: bellalaghoste on August 15, 2007, 04:03:48 PM
Cool I would like to see her sometime I wish we had one in Southern Cali.

Lake Hodges is in San Diego County. There are also reports of a monster in Lake Elsinore. Wouldn't be surprised if there are reports of monsters in the Salton Sea.  :)

bellalaghoste

GREAT!!!!!!!! I love sea creature or lake monsters.  I really hope that these legends are true.

PPI Brian

Quote from: bellalaghoste on August 16, 2007, 06:33:15 PM
GREAT!!!!!!!! I love sea creature or lake monsters.? I really hope that these legends are true.

They have a museum at Lake Elsinore that documents all of the moster sightings and the history of the area. It sounds like it's worth checking out. Same with the Lake Hodges interpretive center. I find the Lake Hodges story interesting because they got Scripps Institute of Oceanography and the US Navy involved in the investigation. They even devised a huge trap to try catch the monster!

bellalaghoste

MichaelF (FPIE)

I know tis is an old post, but thx for it.  I fish in SD a lot, Lake Hodges included, had no idea there was a monster legend there.  Suppossed to go fishing this Sat, I think Lake Hodges became my new favorite place.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

PPI Brian

Let us know if catch anything interesting. Maybe you should upgrade to a higher test line?  ;D

Regards,

Brian Miller

MichaelF (FPIE)

I think I need a bigger boat.....
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

Kristen

You've got to be kidding.  That lake isn't deep enough for the cows that used to graze there.  I used to fish in that lake back before it became a flooded forest.
Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be understood.  ~Marie Curie

jputt

Re: Lake Elsinore. Lake Elsinore is to shallow even for the alligators that were caught in 1992.

PPI Brian

Quote from: Kristen on March 10, 2008, 11:21:14 PM
You've got to be kidding.  That lake isn't deep enough for the cows that used to graze there.  I used to fish in that lake back before it became a flooded forest.

Hi Kristen,

Lake Hodges wasn't always that shallow. Some parts of the lake are still pretty deep. The amazing thing about this legend is the fact that both the US Navy and Scripps Institute of Oceanography were both involved in investigating the reports of the lake monster. Very cool.  ;D

MichaelF (FPIE)

I have heard also that due to the fault line and such there are actually some caves and such in the deep parts.  Gives me a reason to fish more, so I'm cool with that....

PPI Brian

Quote from: jputt on March 11, 2008, 07:25:55 PM
Re: Lake Elsinore. Lake Elsinore is to shallow even for the alligators that were caught in 1992.

I read a report by two geologists from UC Berkley regarding changing sedimentation levels of Lake Elsinore over the last 270 years http://geography.berkeley.edu/peoplehistory/grads/LakeElsinoreReport.pdf ; they said the deepest part of the lake is 6 meters. It has been as deep as 13 meters in the past, but has also completely dried up a few times over the study period. Hardly deep enough for a monster, but plenty deep enough for a big catfish.  :)

CACPIR_Dave

OK, Lake Hodges was man made though, right?  Makes me scratch my head.
I thought I read somewhere that Lake Elsinore was man made also.

PPI Brian

Quote from: CACPIR_Dave on March 27, 2008, 01:35:54 AM
OK, Lake Hodges was man made though, right?  Makes me scratch my head.
I thought I read somewhere that Lake Elsinore was man made also.

Hi Dave,

Lake Hodges was a natural lake that was fed by the San Dieguito River; it was dammed by the by the Santa Fe Railroad to provide water for Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe and Encinitas. The project was proposed by Col. Ed Fletcher. He convinced Walter Hodges, a VP for the Santa Fe Railroad to build the dam, and thus the Railroad named the lake after Hodges.

Lake Elsinore is also a natural lake. In fact, it is the largest lake in the southern California Coastal Mountain range. Recent studies of sediment core samples indicate major droughts that caused the lake to completely dry out at least twice over the last few thousand years.

dwalters

It should be a crime to know as much as you do Miller...thank GOD you're on my team bro!

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI-TAPS Dave on July 23, 2008, 08:20:32 PM
It should be a crime to know as much as you do Miller...thank GOD you're on my team bro!

I just hung out with a lot of boring people 'til I met you guys.  ;D

PPI Glenn

I believe the Lake Elsinore monster's nickname is Elsie but I seriously doubt there's anything there since the lake is only 27' deep at it's lowest point.  That would make it kind of hard to hide a monster - unless it's a real tiny one!

And where Lake Hodges is now are the remains of the original town of Bernardo (which has no real relationship to the modern day Rancho Bernardo)

Quote from: PPI Brian M on August 17, 2007, 08:41:40 PM
Quote from: bellalaghoste on August 16, 2007, 06:33:15 PM
GREAT!!!!!!!! I love sea creature or lake monsters.? I really hope that these legends are true.

They have a museum at Lake Elsinore that documents all of the moster sightings and the history of the area. It sounds like it's worth checking out. Same with the Lake Hodges interpretive center. I find the Lake Hodges story interesting because they got Scripps Institute of Oceanography and the US Navy involved in the investigation. They even devised a huge trap to try catch the monster!
Glenn Pitcher
Founder, Pacific Paranormal Investigations
R.I.P. (1963-2009)

PPI Tim

I told you guys last year.
GET THE TWINS! You know who I'm taking about!
Those two little twins from the Mothera movies.
Just imagine it,
The little flying stage coach flies over Lake Hodges and lands
on a picnic table. The twins get out and start singing thier song.
Dancing around the picnic table you could a few drunk Bums
sunburned and swaying from heat stoke in tune to the song.
Chanting
HA-HA-HA-GEE!
HA-HA-HA-GEE!

Hodgee won't be able to resist. He'll appear just as the Bums
start to puke thier guts out from all the cheap beer they drank.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Brian

Ah yes, the mothra twins...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXZbQnNs3Mk

I agree; how could Hodgie resist?

PPI Tim

LOL!!

Hey! That wasn't the Star of India wasn't?

Sounds interesting...Go on.