News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

Ghost Hunting - True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena

Started by PPI Brian, September 07, 2007, 01:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

This one looks very interesting:

Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society. Has anyone pre ordered a copy yet? It's scheduled for release in October. Can't wait!
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Brian

Ah, I picked up a copy at Barnes and Noble last night. I must admit that I did not want to put it down, but had to get up early this morning and go to work. Cannot wait to read more.

In this book, Jason Hawes talks about his personal experiences that compelled him to create his first paranormal investigative group, the Rhode Island Paranormaol Society (RIPS), which eventually evolved into TAPS. He then recounts some of their most interesting cases begining in the mid 1990's to the present, in the tradition of Hans Holzer but much easier to read.

I highly recommend this book, and will post more when I get a few minutes.

Regards,

Brian Miller

Denele

Holly

I'm going to start this one right now. Britt said you could not put it down. I'll have it read in no time!  ;D
Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say & not giving a damn. - Gore Vidal

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Holly on October 22, 2007, 10:05:35 PM
I'm going to start this one right now. Britt said you could not put it down. I'll have it read in no time!  ;D

Yes, it's well written and difficult to put down. If I weren't so swamped with evidence review I would have finished the book already!  ;D

Kristen

I've been reading reviews on it, and while most are good, almost all of them mention something about Jason bashing Brian throughout the book.  For those who have read it, what's your take?
Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be understood.  ~Marie Curie

PPI Brian

Quote from: Kristen on October 28, 2007, 10:15:46 PM
I've been reading reviews on it, and while most are good, almost all of them mention something about Jason bashing Brian throughout the book.  For those who have read it, what's your take?

Yes, it's true that Jay bashes Brian in the book, but he also says how much Brian is a part of his family. Although I don't believe it was necessary to bash Brian in the book, the rest of the book is very intriguing and is worth reading. If you've watched the show, you can't help but agree with Jay on the subject of Brian Harnois, but then again it kind of irritates me that he is giving all paranormal investigators named Brian a bad name...  ;D

Regards,

Brian Miller

Kristen

Although Brian had great enthusiasm for Ghost Hunting, I do think what he lacked in professionalism he more than made up with personality clashing.  The chemistry between those guys just didn't mesh well.

I was just curious how much the negativity towards Brian interfered with the actual point of the book.  I prefer to get reviews from trusted sources (aka PPI) before I rush out to buy a book that I'm excited about only to come to a bitter disappointment in the end, which is no fun (and sometimes a waste of funds).
Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be understood.  ~Marie Curie

Shellshock

XoXo

bellalaghoste

thanks I think I will read this book after reading historic hauntings of america by micheal norman and beth scott r.i.p

Holly

Yeah, What's with these Brian guys?? We have this guy on our team Brain M.... J/K Love ya Brian!!  :-*
Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say & not giving a damn. - Gore Vidal

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Holly on November 19, 2007, 02:19:02 AM
Yeah, What's with these Brian guys?? We have this guy on our team Brain M.... J/K Love ya Brian!!  :-*

Yeah, what's with that?  ???

I was talking to Dave an Glenn about that this weekend. TAPS hasn't had much luck with Brians, have they? Remember Brian Bell? I don't think he lasted very long...

These guys give all Brians a bad name.  ;D

Shellshock

I Read the book!  It was great, but I really didnt care to read the "digs" on Brian H. though. :/
I also agree, it was unnecessary to include the smack talk considering the point of the book. Psh*
Overall , I give it a two thumbs up! ;)
~Shelly
XoXo

Todd

it sound really good ill have to pick that book up lol i live right across from barns and noble lol anyways later guys!!!
-Todd
Love is giving someone the power to distroy you, but trusting they wont

MichaelF (FPIE)

Since you guys reccomended it, I ordered it from Amazon.  Came yesterday, and I finished it last night.  I loved it, especially the first half before they started the TV show.  The last half of the book was basically a recapp of all their shows.  All the Brian bashing was basically just a recap of what was said on the TV show.

Anybody else notice that there is a period of a few years wher their stories did not cover?  2002-2004 if I remember correctly.  Wonder if they took a break or if nothing notable hapened.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

ttjoon

Michael,
I read it also.  I really enjoyed it but you are correct in the fact that it seemed to be missing some years.  They are coming out with a brand new book shortly.  Can't wait to read that one.

The only thing that I didn't care for in the book was the constant "Brian Bashing".  I think they could've done without that. 

The exorsism stuff they took part in just freaks me out.  They are braver than I. I draw the line at someone spitting pea soup

MichaelF (FPIE)

I'm cool with the spitting of Pea soup.  May even be ok with a 360 head twist.....   as long as it isn't MY head doing the 360..... ;D
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.