News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Happy 20th Birthday, Hubble Telescope!

Started by Gary, April 24, 2010, 03:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Thought a lot of you would enjoy seeing 20 amazing photos taken by the Hubble Telescope for it's 20th year.  Wow, that is really incredible!

http://earth.google.com/hubble20th/
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

ljiljanac

Wow, those are awesome pics!!!  I am always amazed at how it appears to be "daylight" within some of those Nebulae........Nebulae?  Nebulas?  Nebuli?   "KARL HELP!!!"  lol lol lol..........    ;D   ::|     I am also always reminded of the sheer power that exists in the universe (galaxies colliding, stars exploding/imploding, black holes, etc) that really make the power of the ocean, weather, etc. here on earth seem minute........minute?  minoot?  "KARL HEEEEELP!!!!"   lmao!    ;D   ::|    I love the Universe!   

Damian

And that shot of the nebula that is 50 light years wide!!!  We're seeing in one small picture where light would take 50 YEARS to travel from one edge of the photo to the other.  That's amazing to me.  The scale of celestial bodies and the massive emptiness of space is humbling.

Sweet find Gary!
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Debra

These photos put me in total AWE...
The sheer creative power of the universe...
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Tracy

Shellshock

XoXo

PPI Tracy

PPI Tim

It's a piece of space junk. we should shoot it out of the sky. It simply costs too much money.
What is it really good for?
" And we will be right back to fox news after this short commerical"

Has your blood began to boil yet?
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Damian on April 24, 2010, 12:49:49 PM
And that shot of the nebula that is 50 light years wide!!!  We're seeing in one small picture where light would take 50 YEARS to travel from one edge of the photo to the other.  That's amazing to me.  The scale of celestial bodies and the massive emptiness of space is humbling.

Sweet find Gary!

If we had the ability to travel 670 million miles an hour... it would still take 50 years to span the space encompassed in this image. Absolutely mind boggling. Thanks for sharing this with us, Gary.

And Tim, I know you're joking. HST is the most important astronomical observatory ever built by humanity. If we spent as much of our GNP on space exploration as we spent on war, our economy would be in better shape and our kids would be much more interested in studying science and engineering.

http://www.youtube.com/v/n0RgMnIgPco&hl=en_US&fs=1&
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

Damian

"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Brian M on May 10, 2010, 07:05:33 PM
Quote from: PPI Damian on April 24, 2010, 12:49:49 PM

HST is the most important astronomical observatory ever built by humanity. If we spent as much of our GNP on space exploration as we spent on war, our economy would be in better shape and our kids would be much more interested in studying science and engineering.

That would make the best Facebook post I've seen since Betty White announced the SNL gig. j/k

Seriously.....we should challenge each other to post things about time and space to boggle the mind.  Case in point....the above post by Brian.

ljiljanac

Aside from what we know of solar flares and lunar cycles, I imagine there are other things that occur out in space that contribute to paranormal experiences here on Earth and would allow us to understand it a bit better.  I always wondered what kind of "space junk" is up there, and how of if it is affected by or affects magnetic fields down here.    P^/

PPI Tracy

They always told me as a kid that God had no beginning and has no end.  I couldn't ever wrap my brain around that.  I guess space is an example of that.  Right?  I mean where does it begin and where does it end?  Does it?  How's THAT for a brain bender?

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Tracy on May 12, 2010, 12:54:21 PMI mean where does it begin and where does it end?  Does it?  How's THAT for a brain bender?

Actually, one of the well-supported theories by physicists about the universe is that its existence is owed to the intersection of dimensions, and that all of our three-dimensional universe exists in the "membrane" where that intersection occurs.  The term they're using for this is "Brane Theory," and while it's meaning is "membrane," not "brain," the parallels are simply too close to ignore.  One of the ancient Vedic creation myths is that the universe was born from the mind of a dreaming Vishnu (do I have that right, Debra?), which seems as apt a description of Brane Theory as any.  At the end of the day, though, why the universe exists, not how it exists, is still the biggest "brane" bender of them all.  We'd need someone to interpret the dream life of such a god.

Debra, are you interested in the job?
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

This series of videos describe the parallel universe theory Karl spoke about. You can cheat and jump to the last video to hear the physicists talk about brane theory.  ;D

Warning: Contemplating the multiverse can be a mind blowing experience. Parental discretion is advised.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7SDrj4Tjvk&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/v/SHzU3fgID3o&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/v/dVfw1XOIFGk&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/v/P-mLF23JzKA&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Part 5:
http://www.youtube.com/v/jjzj4RvJFgo&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Damian

I'm giddy with anticipation as I start watching these video clips!  Thanks for posting!

Gary

I haven't seen it yet, but I have heard from a few people that the Hubble film being show at the Science and Space Theater in Balboa Park was awesome!!!  You guys should check it out while it's there.  I plan to try next week maybe!!
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

Damian

WHOAH!!!  I'm amazed after those clips!  HOLY COW!...we have a working theory for how our universe was created!  And again, the scale of this existance is so befuddlingly huge that it's difficult for me to wrap my mind completely around.

Great way to start my day!  Thanks guys!

ljiljanac

So the Brane Theory is just an idea thought up as a possible explanation and isn't really supported by anything tangible?  Or did my pea brain miss that?  Seriously, the videos were really interesting but completely over my head.  HAHA!  I'm not that smart.    ;D

PPI Brian

Found this video celebrating Hubble's 20 years of service and just had to share it.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/v/zjuyPPTi1q0&hl=en_US&fs=1

Gary

Very cool.  I was definitely in awe over some of those photos.  Incredible!   
Gary \m/

ljiljanac

Awwww now that was so awesome, beautiful, and sad!!!    :'(    What's replacing Hubble??  Anything??  Thanks for posting this, Brian.  I would love to figure out who did the  music too.   :)

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Lillie on August 07, 2010, 12:59:33 PM
Awwww now that was so awesome, beautiful, and sad!!!    :'(    What's replacing Hubble??  Anything??  Thanks for posting this, Brian.  I would love to figure out who did the  music too.   :)

Music by Miika 153. You can Google this artist for free mp3 downloads.  :)

ljiljanac

Quote from: PPI Brian M on August 07, 2010, 02:03:15 PM

Ooooooo, thank you Gary!  :)

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Lillie on August 07, 2010, 05:17:30 PM

You're welcome Debra.  :D

Gary

Quote from: PPI Lillie on August 07, 2010, 05:17:30 PM

Ahhhh, you did it too!!!  LoL  Nice one "Carl"!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Gary \m/

ljiljanac

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!   LMAO!!!!!  Too funny!!!!    ;D   Thank you Brian for the music info, and thank you Gary for pointing that out.  lol lol lol    ;D   How the hell does this keep happening!!!?????  I swear it started out with "Carl".  lol

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Karl on May 12, 2010, 02:00:12 PM
Quote from: PPI Tracy on May 12, 2010, 12:54:21 PMI mean where does it begin and where does it end?  Does it?  How's THAT for a brain bender?

Actually, one of the well-supported theories by physicists about the universe is that its existence is owed to the intersection of dimensions, and that all of our three-dimensional universe exists in the "membrane" where that intersection occurs.  The term they're using for this is "Brane Theory," and while it's meaning is "membrane," not "brain," the parallels are simply too close to ignore.  One of the ancient Vedic creation myths is that the universe was born from the mind of a dreaming Vishnu (do I have that right, Debra?), which seems as apt a description of Brane Theory as any.  At the end of the day, though, why the universe exists, not how it exists, is still the biggest "brane" bender of them all.  We'd need someone to interpret the dream life of such a god.

Debra, are you interested in the job?

I still can't wrap my Brain or my Brane around this, "Carl". 

Don't worry Lillie.....I'm not that smart  (case in point..trying to get a grip on this thread.  Sherlock blew out all my Brain/Brane cells, trying to explain the above).  I think you are very smart...alec.  SOOOO KIDDING!!  I don't know why you keep bustin on yourself.