News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Book recommendations for a newbie

Started by Damian, January 03, 2010, 01:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damian

I've been reading through the PPI recommended book list and there are A LOT of books in there, and I'm not quite sure where would be a good place to start.  I'd like to buy a couple of books and would like some suggestions on which 2 books I should start with.

I've never investigated but would like to learn, and I've had some paranormal experiences.  What would be a couple of good books for me to start off reading that would help me as an investigator?

Thanks all!
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Tim

Hi Buddy,
If you are just starting off in the field, I would suggest starting off with Joshua Warren's "How to hunt for ghosts: a practical guide."The other is "Picture Yourself Ghosthunting: Step by Step Instruction For Exploring Haunts and Finding Spirits, Spooks and Spectres
by Christopher Balzano.

Please feel free to post any questions too.
Tim
Sounds interesting...Go on.

Damian

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation Tim.  I was leaning towards Picture Yourself Ghosthunting already.  Sweet, new reading material!
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

PPI Tracy

"Picture Yourself Ghosthunting" is a very good book.  That one and a John Zaffis book were the first one's that I read on the subject. 

Damian

Thanks for the suggestions.  I stopped off at Borders on my way into Vegas (here for work...the CES tradeshow) and picked up How to Hunt Ghosts and Ghost Hunting (the book by TAPS).  I was bummed because they didn't have Picture Yourself Ghost Hunting, and that one was my first choice.  Oh well, guess I'll just order it online.

Damian

Found a Barnes and Noble on my way home from Vegas and they had one copy of Picture Yourself Ghost Hunting, so I stopped in and grabbed it.  I'm excited to get into this book.  I'm about half-way through How To Hunt Ghosts and enjoying it. 

In How To Hunt Ghosts I'm learning about how EMF relates to the paranormal.  I never realized how significant EMF is for entities.  I always knew it was a part of paranormal occurences, but after what I've read, it looks like EMF is a fundamental building block of the paranormal and is woven throughout.  I'm now rethinking my rather limited understanding of energy and the manifestation of paranormal occurences.  And thinking back to Buddy the ghost rearranging my piles of laundry, i'm amazed at how much energy that must have consumed.  And now I wish I could go back and take some EMF readings because it was a pretty old apartment with antiquated electrical wiring and a significant lack of insulation.  I wonder if there was a significant EMF source that would have allowed "Buddy" to physically affect my laundry.  And why my laundry of all things?  Strange.  If only I knew then what I am beginning to learn now.

ljiljanac

I started reading "Ghosts; True Encounters with the World Beyond" and have highlighted half of Chapter 2.  This book is pretty interesting!

Damian

What kind of book is it?  More of a chronicling of experiences, or speculation and theory about the paranormal, or investigation tactics?  I'm always looking for good books to add to my collection.

ljiljanac

This book is pretty much about everything....other people's accounts, studies done, ESP, differences between ghosts/spirits/etc., investigations, and so on.  I'm only on Chapter 4 and have a long way to go to the end.  So far, it's interesting reading!   :)

PPI Brian

One book I highly recommend is "The Demon Haunted World - Science As a Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan. Anybody interested in paranormal research should read this book first, and always keep it within arm's reach.  :)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

ljiljanac

Damian

Thanks Brian.  I'm adding that to my to-get list.

PPI Brian

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

Damian

Yes, please.  I'm a "list" person, in that I rely heavily on lists to organize things in my life.  So I've got a small list running of books that an aspiring paranormal investigator should read and have in their library.  So any other recommendations you want to send my way would be very much appreciated.  Thanks Brian!

ljiljanac

I am enjoying reading "Ghosts; True Encounters with the World Beyond".  It really is fun reading.  One story has my skeptic antennae up high....in this story, it takes a few very strong men effort to move an extremely heavy bookcase off of a rug that has covered that floor for many many years.  Under the rug was a one-inch layer of dust hiding a ring used to raise a trapdoor in the floor. 

You probably already know my question.......How would there be an inch of dust underneath a rug.....?......that was underneath a heavy bookcase....?..... which required strong men to move?  First, there is no way for the dust to get under there.  Second, there is no way an inch of dust could accumulate underneath a rug covered by a heavy piece of furniture.  Third, by moving the rug aside, the dust would be disturbed or wiped away....if there was actually any there to begin with... which I do not see as possible.  Therefore, I do not believe that detail of the story and wonder if it is completely made up.

Damian

Just finished How To Hunt Ghosts and really enjoyed it...especially the helpful summary of different types of manifestions and manipulation of energy.  Thanks for the suggestion Brian!