News:

Thinking of inviting PPI to your home or business? Visit "Client Resources" on our main website for helpful articles and guidelines, or click "Request Help" to contact us about setting up an investigation.

Main Menu

Hey man, whatcha readin? (part II)

Started by PPI Tracy, April 21, 2011, 12:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Tracy

What are your smarts soaking up lately?  P^/

Anybody reading any good books at the moment or just finished up a good one?  Paranormal or not. 

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on April 21, 2011, 12:52:20 PM
What are your smarts soaking up lately?  P^/

Anybody reading any good books at the moment or just finished up a good one?  Paranormal or not. 

I've just finished Jane Erye.
I am also re-reading The Reindeer People Living with Animals and Spirits in Siberia.True story by anthropologist Piers Vitebsky.

Tracy - What have you been reading?
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Tracy

I have been reading:  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/books/review/Margonelli-t.html

http://rebeccaskloot.com/the-immortal-life/

My next book:  Jane Erye   :)

PPI Brian

I'm reading "Buddha Mind, Buddha Body" by Thich Nhat Hanh and I have not yet finished re-reading "The Most Haunted House in England - Ten Years' Investigation of Borley Rectory" by Harry Price.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Brian on April 21, 2011, 06:11:17 PM
I'm reading "Buddha Mind, Buddha Body" by Thich Nhat Hanh and I have not yet finished re-reading "The Most Haunted House in England - Ten Years' Investigation of Borley Rectory" by Harry Price.

Those sound really good!!

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on April 21, 2011, 06:01:14 PM
I have been reading:  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/books/review/Margonelli-t.html

http://rebeccaskloot.com/the-immortal-life/

My next book:  Jane Erye   :)

Henrietta lacks' story is very intriguing and disturbing.

Jane Eyre is made more interesting by the back story: the sociological conditions that the Bronte sisters were living with. They had to write under  male pseudonyms. Women were asked not to read Jane Eyre until they were 25 because it had dangerous ideas. (See The Bronte Myth by Lucasta Miller.)
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on April 21, 2011, 06:12:56 PM

When I was a wee tyke, I read about Borley Rectory. I was very scared.  {8I

Thich Nat Hahn rocks!

PPI Tracy

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on April 21, 2011, 06:18:56 PM
Quote from: PPI Tracy on April 21, 2011, 06:12:56 PM

When I was a wee tyke, I read about Borley Rectory. I was very scared.  {8I

Thich Nat Hahn rocks!

I'd love to read both. 

Anne-Marie

I'm reading "No Bone Unturned - The Adventures of a Top Smithsonian Forensic Scientist and the Legal Battle for America's Oldest Skeletons."  Talk about a book that makes you mad.

What did you think of "Immortal Life"?   I wouldn't be surprised if I worked with HeLa at some point in school.

PPI Tracy

YOUR book sounds fascinating, Anne-Marie. 

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" is just amazing.  I cannot believe what this woman went through and what her family went through and yet how those cells have done so much for medicine.  You would enjoy the book, I think.

ChrisB

I wish I could sit down and enjoy a good book!  The only thing I've been reading is a study book so I can get another certification.  Boring!!!

PPI Tracy

Quote from: ChrisB on May 04, 2011, 09:22:49 PM
I wish I could sit down and enjoy a good book!  The only thing I've been reading is a study book so I can get another certification.  Boring!!!

Woo Hoo, Chris!!!  Livin' large!!   ;)

PPI Jason

I'm reading "Teach Yourself C++ in One Hour a Day" by Jesse Liberty and Sidhartha Rao.

I'm reading a fascinating chapter involving overloading class and user defined arithmetic operators and increment/decrement operators.  :)
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Jason on May 06, 2011, 10:51:32 AM
I'm reading "Teach Yourself C++ in One Hour a Day" by Jesse Liberty and Sidhartha Rao.

I'm reading a fascinating chapter involving overloading class and user defined arithmetic operators and increment/decrement operators.  :)

That book has made the rounds in my house several...okay, "many" years ago.  In fact, I think we might still have some C++ and MCSE books still hanging around.

PPI Jason

It's a good book.

Helpful Hint: It takes longer than "One Hour a Day" unless your goal is to finish it by the time Captain Kirk takes command of the USS Enterprise for the first time.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Jason on May 06, 2011, 09:52:42 PM
It's a good book.

Helpful Hint: It takes longer than "One Hour a Day" unless your goal is to finish it by the time Captain Kirk takes command of the USS Enterprise for the first time.

Preach it, Brothah!  Preach it!

Shellshock

Finished reading :  * The Hiding Place *
                            Corrie ten Boom with John and Elizabeth Sherrill.
XoXo

PPI Tracy

Quote from: Shellshock on May 11, 2011, 11:48:45 PM

What is it about, Shelly?

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on May 12, 2011, 12:29:01 PM

Corrie ten Boom was a Dutch national that ran an underground railroad to help Jews escape the nazis. Very brave woman.

PPI Debra

Now I am reading ORMUS: Modern Day Alchemy,by Chris Emmons.
And because it's on my bucket list, I will be doing one or two of the lab experiments in it. *Allegedly* you can observe the effects of mind on matter with this.

PPI Tracy

Shellshock

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on May 22, 2011, 09:06:34 PM
Quote from: PPI Tracy on May 12, 2011, 12:29:01 PM

Corrie ten Boom was a Dutch national that ran an underground railroad to help Jews escape the nazis. Very brave woman.

Yes, extremely brave !
XoXo

PPI Tracy

Picked up Atlas Shrugged over the weekend.  Since I finally read The Fountainhead, I wanted to tackle another Ayn Rand.

PPI Brian

Allow me to resurrect this old thread.  ;D

Just downloaded a new book on my Kindle Fire called "Paranormal Technology - Understanding the Science of Ghost Hunting" by David Rountree. Most books about science and the paranormal don't have much to offer, but this one is great! I highly recommend it.  :)

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Brian on January 18, 2012, 08:08:29 PM

Just downloaded a new book on my Kindle Fire called "Paranormal Technology - Understanding the Science of Ghost Hunting" by David Rountree. Most books about science and the paranormal don't have much to offer, but this one is great! I highly recommend it.  :)

Glad to see that there is quality writing in the paranormal department. I will check it out.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Debra on January 18, 2012, 08:45:10 PM

Glad to see that there is quality writing in the paranormal department. I will check it out.

There will be more quality writing in the field when we write our book.   ;D

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Brian on January 18, 2012, 08:55:03 PM
Quote from: PPI Debra on January 18, 2012, 08:45:10 PM

There will be more quality writing in the field when we write our book.   ;D

Now you're talking!  ;D

PPI Debra

Brian,
Have you tried the moon phase pro app on your kindle?

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Debra on January 18, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
Brian,
Have you tried the moon phase pro app on your kindle?

No I haven't. Do you like it?

PPI Debra

It's cool. It's a 3d hologram of the moon "live" .You can look at it from any angle, the "past" and the "future". It has eclipse and phase dates and times.

It was free a couple weeks ago, but I don't think it's very expensive