News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

Mothman Sighting in California

Started by PPI Brian, November 05, 2010, 03:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Grant Lawrence has reported in recent days of the sighting of what naturally sounds like a Mothman to me. In his blog entitled The Giant Butterfly Returns to Los Angeles: Witness Describes Amazing UFO Experience, Lawrence notes that a Los Angeles County resident "had an amazing sighting of a giant creature that flew over his home," which was described as "having an appearance of a 'giant butterfly.'"

Some say the sighting is an omen. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/la-mothman/
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tracy

I think I have to agree with the statement, "Is one person's Mothman another person's Giant Butterfly"?  Yep.

PPI Debra

Lol Tracy.
So now Southern California is being watched for something catastrophic. Oh, joy! I've heard tales of the whole state falling off the map for at least 43 years.

"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

Damian

The good news is that if California becomes an island, many home-owners will have some prime real-estate!  We'll become the new Hawaii!
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Damian on November 05, 2010, 03:45:37 PM
The good news is that if California becomes an island, many home-owners will have some prime real-estate!  We'll become the new Hawaii!
And Yuma will be beach front property.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Tracy

Very true!  Ya'll are so far south that ya didn't feel it, but North OC (where I work) had a little wakey quakey this morning.  3.8....was a "jolter".  I think we shall become an island sooner than we think.  

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on November 05, 2010, 03:58:20 PM

Very true!  Ya'll are so far south that ya didn't feel it, but North OC (where I work) had a little wakey quakey this morning.  3.8....was a "jolter".  I think we shall become an island sooner than we think.  

I don't know why, but it set the hotel alarm system off here in San Diego.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on November 05, 2010, 04:13:15 PM

Serious?  You're kidding?  Did you even feel the quake?

PPI Debra

I did not, but this 5 story building always feels like it's moving. Kind of like the parking garages downtown.
All alarms went off at 9:06 AM. Scared the hell out of me.
Yesterday there was a 4.6 in Baja, and we didn't feel it. The alarms did not go off.
Maybe it's a weird coincidence??

PPI Debra

I went to the reports at the US geological survey, and it was reported as felt in El Cajon, Escondido, San Marcos and in Baja. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/ci/10833357/us/index.html

Then, I called the front desk at the hotel to ask them what was the cause of the alarms going off this AM. So far, they don't know. (The fire alarms don't have motion sensors)

PPI Brian

The good news is that if California becomes an island, many home-owners will have some prime real-estate!  We'll become the new Hawaii!

The USGS located the epicenter of the quake in the driveway of some poor unfortunate soul who lives at 907 N Obispo in Long Beach. Perhaps it was something he ate?  :)

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Brian M on November 05, 2010, 05:59:31 PM

The USGS located the epicenter of the quake in the driveway of some poor unfortunate soul who lives at 907 N Obispo in Long Beach. Perhaps it was something he ate?  :)

It's the damn Tesla coil again. Can't seem to read location very well.

Shellshock

Man, didnt feel squat. I guess anything under a 4.0 isn't much of an attention grabber for me anymore. :/
XoXo

PPI Karl

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on November 05, 2010, 06:04:36 PMIt's the damn Tesla coil again. Can't seem to read location very well.

LOL!  They turn up in the strangest places, don' they?

Quote from: Shellshock on November 06, 2010, 01:35:28 AMMan, didn't feel squat. I guess anything under a 4.0 isn't much of an attention grabber for me anymore. :/

Sometimes, I think, building construction is responsible for whether or not we feel the small-to-middling quakes these days.  We had a 4.6 the other day, and on the third floor of our place I felt it as clearly as can be, while Max, who was on the second floor, didn't notice anything, even though I was calling down to him to take notice of it.  You'd think a 4.6 would be immediately felt, but not so!  Some places, even a localized area in the building, itself, can seem to magnify the strength of the quake.  

I know this is off-topic but, hey, all this talk about quakes . . . Anyone remember Quake and Quisp cereal?   We're going way, WAY back here, but they had this kind of product rivalry going, even though they were both made by the same company, and the boxes featured cartoon superheroes Quake (the hunky one, in a cape) and Quisp (I don't know what the hell he was; an alien, maybe?).  I saved the box tops and got a Quisp dart game that included a ray gun (I think) that shot suction-cup darts.  Ah, gawd be wit' the days oyv seen.

If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Karl on November 06, 2010, 12:44:14 PM

I know this is off-topic but, hey, all this talk about quakes . . . Anyone remember Quake and Quisp cereal?   We're going way, WAY back here, but they had this kind of product rivalry going, even though they were both made by the same company, and the boxes featured cartoon superheroes Quake (the hunky one, in a cape) and Quisp (I don't know what the hell he was; an alien, maybe?).  I saved the box tops and got a Quisp dart game that included a ray gun (I think) that shot suction-cup darts.  Ah, gawd be wit' the days oyv seen.

I do remember Quisp! I loved it.

PPI Brian

I remember those cereals. I liked Quisp better than Quake, but my favorites had much stranger characters. I used to love Count Chocula, Frankenberry and Boo Berry too.

I remember saving box tops and sending in for the Ghost Writer. I don't really remember the Boo Hooter, though. Eithrer I'm getting old or I wasn't impressed. Probably both.  :)

My favorite was pulled from the shelves back in 1975 or so; Freakies.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Be77gKd55q4?fs=1&hl=en_US

PPI Brian

Anyway, to get the topic back on track I thought we might discuss the Mothman phenomena.

For those who may not be familiar with the Mothman, here's a link to a Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

and another artcile from Unexplained America: http://www.prairieghosts.com/moth.html

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Brian M on November 07, 2010, 11:56:38 AM
Anyway, to get the topic back on track I thought we might discuss the Mothman phenomena.

For those who may not be familiar with the Mothman, here's a link to a Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

and another article from Unexplained America: http://www.prairieghosts.com/moth.html

John Keel's story is an excellent example of the phenomenon of "high strangeness".

One definition is: " The inexplicable effects and synchronicity of events related to and occurring before, during, and after UFO or extraterrestrial encounters."
[From: http://www.cosmicparadigm.com/High_Strangeness.htm]

However, high strangeness also occurs in some poltergeist & haunting cases as well.

When asked why he stopped his investigation of the often tragic Mothman case, he explained that whatever the phenomenon was, is was effected by his thoughts, and was somehow connected to the collective mind of Point Pleasant.  Even when he was no where near Point Pleasant , the high strangeness followed him (strange phone calls, synchronicity, strange visitations, harassment by apparent Gov't officials). He had to detach himself and his mind from the case to stop the phenomena.

This case has elements of a "tulpa haunting" as well.

PPI Karl

Booberry!  Yes, I remember that one!  For some reason, though, my parents would never buy it for me; we were the lumpy oatmeal types.  (I hope Peter Lorry made some money from the packaging.)  There are still websites available for Quisp cereal, so it may be still in production.

Has anyone seen the motion picture, The Mothman Prophecy?  Very well done for the creep-factor, and, I think, a little plagiarized in Knowing in the way the "angels" would turn up in the middle of nowhere.  I know the film took liberties with the "true" story, but overall does anyone know how accurate a portrayal it was?
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Karl on November 07, 2010, 01:43:32 PM
Booberry!  Yes, I remember that one!  For some reason, though, my parents would never buy it for me; we were the lumpy oatmeal types.  (I hope Peter Lorry made some money from the packaging.)  There are still websites available for Quisp cereal, so it may be still in production.

Has anyone seen the motion picture, The Mothman Prophecy?  Very well done for the creep-factor, and, I think, a little plagiarized in Knowing in the way the "angels" would turn up in the middle of nowhere.  I know the film took liberties with the "true" story, but overall does anyone know how accurate a portrayal it was?

It was considered a "loose adaptation". For example, John Keel was split into 2 characters: Klein & Leek (Keel backwards).

*BTW Keel himself rejected the extraterrestrial hypothesis.

*Skeptical Inquirer did a story on Keel : "In the article, "Gray Barker's Book of Bunk," Sherwood reported finding significant differences between what Keel wrote at the time of his investigation and what he wrote in his first book about the Mothman reports, raising questions about the book's accuracy. Sherwood also reported that Keel, who was well known for writing humorous and outrageous letters to friends and associates, would not assist him in clarifying the differences thus raising doubts about Sherwood's supposition." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Keel

*Richard Gere was asked why he took the role in the film. He had talked to some of the residents of Point Pleasant. He said something terrifying had happened to these people.