News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

Fact or Faked: The Paranormal Files

Started by PPI Brian, August 06, 2010, 03:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Has anybody seen had an opportunity to watch this new paranormal show? So far I have been almost impressed by this team. Tonight's episode really caught my attention:

Ben's team investigates a video from Dartmoor in the United Kingdom of a large, unidentified black animal filmed running across a field. Meanwhile, Bill leads his team to El Cajon, California to debunk a video of red triangular lights in the night sky.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/167645/fact-or-faked-paranormal-files-predatorred-sky-at-night

Too bad they didn't check out our video of this event:
http://www.youtube.com/v/LKx_yD38fvA&hl=en_US&fs=1

Link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKx_yD38fvA&feature=player_embedded 

We already explained this event as a hoax. ;D
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

Gary

Awesome, the episodes are on Hulu!!!  Something to watch after work, yay!!   ;D
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Gary on August 06, 2010, 06:12:37 AM
Awesome, the episodes are on Hulu!!!  Something to watch after work, yay!!   ;D

Yep. Here's the full episode. To PPI's credit, the FoF team successfully reproduced the New Year's Eve 2010 UFO. Of course, they could have saved a lot of time if they would have just asked Todd Fassler to show them how he did it.  ;D

Here's the full episode:

http://www.hulu.com/embed/UqOGHMgq7ACwJt8Vkf12FQ

Link: http://www.hulu.com/watch/169160/fact-or-faked-paranormal-files-predatorred-sky-at-night#s-p1-so-i0

Hulu page link for FoF: http://www.hulu.com/fact-or-faked-paranormal-files

PPI Karl

I was thinking of the PPI UFO video the whole time during that episode!  In fact, they could have just nixed the investigation if they had investigated other YouTube videos first.  But, that's not what reality TV is about, I s'pose.

Believe it or not, I've been watching these episodes with great care, to see whether or not they can rise above the urge to sensationalize the paranormal for the sake of exposing it.  I thought the first episode was pretty good, especially that investigation into the ghost car.  I kind of felt the next couple of episodes demonstrated a bit of lazy logic, even though the cases were interesting.  I'm noticing that, when the investigation comes to a standstill, they just find something else to investigate nearby and somehow connect it to the original case, no matter how weak that connection is.  When that happens, the show becomes Destination Truth Lite.  The "destined truth" of that is, they're starting to stage investigations at night for no logical reason other than to use the IR cameras.  ("I can't see anything down here."  That's because you're ten feet under water and it's three in the friggin' morning!  ::|)  That otherwise interesting case about the weird bipedal "things" walking across the front lawn went totally south once they started hanging out at the local park trying to cruise wood nymphs, or whatever the hell that was about.  Ridiculous.  But, when they stay focused on the actual case and try harder to explain and/or debunk, the show's more interesting.  Some people among the team stand out more than others on that point.

I'm eager to see the next ep., which is faithfully DVR'd.  

I watched United Ghost Hunters of Benetton this week.  Maybe I picked the wrong week to watch it, but they made visits to medieval cities as interesting as a trip to the mini-mart.  At least they were honest in the end about not having any alleged paranormal evidence; gotta credit it them for that.  I'm getting the sense, though, that some of them are doing this in their sleep.  

BRANDY (waking up in an unfamiliar bed):  Wai'! Where the hell am I?
PAUL (apply Betadyne to his pierced eyebrow):  Tallinn, Estonia.
BRANDY:  How did I get here?
ROB:  Did somebody say, "Let's get stoned"?
BRANDY:  I should have let that vegan chick take my place.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Karl on August 06, 2010, 01:34:25 PM
I watched United Ghost Hunters of Benetton this week.  Maybe I picked the wrong week to watch it, but they made visits to medieval cities as interesting as a trip to the mini-mart.  At least they were honest in the end about not having any alleged paranormal evidence; gotta credit it them for that.  I'm getting the sense, though, that some of them are doing this in their sleep. 

BRANDY (waking up in an unfamiliar bed):  Wai'! Where the hell am I?
PAUL (apply Betadyne to his pierced eyebrow):  Tallinn, Estonia.
BRANDY:  How did I get here?
ROB:  Did somebody say, "Let's get stoned"?
BRANDY:  I should have let that vegan chick take my place.

LOL!  ;D I watched that episode three times and felt the same way. Barry is still my favorite investigator on the team. I was very relieved when he explained the AVP of "screaming" in the woods as a fox in heat. Duh! Come on, people. When you're outside investigating in a wooded area, you're going to pick up animal noises. For a while I thought they were going to present that as evidence to the client! :)

If they thought the fox made some wild shrieking sounds, you should hear a Shibu Inu when they start going off.  :)

PPI Karl

I was thinking of the PPI UFO video the whole time during that episode!  In fact, they could have just nixed the investigation if they had investigated other YouTube videos first.  But, that's not what reality TV is about, I s'pose.

I should have watched yesterday's episode before I left that comment.  I thought you were referencing Episode 1 with the UFO lights captured in Arizona.  You literally meant the El Cajon UFO hoax!  Hilarious.  Do you think they already knew this was a hoax before they came out here to investigate it?  The experiments they did in the Mojave seemed really contrived to end with flares experiment.  Who would put real fire in a Chinese lantern sent aloft, anyways?  I'm incredulous that the team wouldn't have considered Glade scented luminaries. Ridiculous.  (That's my word de jour.)

The first half of the episode lived up to my predictions of Destination Truth Summer-camp.  These unfounded assumptions that only a large predator (I think "huge" is the word someone used.  :D) could bring down a sheep--where were the locals to challenge such disingenuous and shoddy investigating?  Any sheep farmer knows that dogs and wolves prey on sheep.  That's why they have sheep dogs in Scotland.  Furthermore, the scavanged sheep remains were hardly evidence of cryptozoological predators.  The skin of a decomposing carcass is just as likely to pull away from the wounds as shrink around them.  Also, I don't understand why they never showed the "beast" running in real time (yet they never showed the pony running in slow motion).  Were they afraid it would look like a Chihuahua?  And that round-up discussion back at "The Situation Room"  ::| was cringe-worthy!  Seriously, I was moaning at the ease with which critical thinking was just thrown out the window in favor of opinionation.  "They're discovering new species every day.  [By the way, no they're not.]  Why wouldn't it be reasonable to think there might be a new species of animal living on the Scottish moors?"  Would you like the short list?

And then, the coup de gras:  they pull out the animated reconstruction.  I just about shot cranberry juice out my nose.  "This is what a lion-boar hybrid might look like."  Are you kidding me?  Do you have no shame?  Lion-boar hybrid?!!!  Not only was that a "ridiculous" and juvenile concept, me thinks anyone who would try to put the idea into the public's head has little respect for us and thinks we're too stupid to get the prank: LIon + boAR = LIAR.

That reminds me:  Some while back I saw Penn and Teller interview the folklorist with the beard and cane--the gentleman the Fact or Faked team spoke with when they arrived in Scotland--about the Loch Ness monster.  To his credit, his very practical explanation was that it's a eunuch eel, which has indeterminate growth.   

I dunno, guys.  Maybe I'm just too jaded to enjoy these shows anymore, but this level of investigating seems like a waste of otherwise fabulous resources. 
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

Gary

HAHA, Karl, you are too funny!  I also watched that episode on Hulu this morning. I was bored almost immediately and thought the investigators in their "situation room" as you call it, seemed tacky!  Like TMZ?  Lame!  I didn't even watch the El Cajon UFO portion.  As soon as one of the guys says, "I Love El Cajon!", I knew they were full of it!!!  I just couldn't watch it.  I already knew the outcome anyway! 
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Karl on August 06, 2010, 04:42:23 PM

I should have watched yesterday's episode before I left that comment.  I thought you were referencing Episode 1 with the UFO lights captured in Arizona.  You literally meant the El Cajon UFO hoax!  Hilarious.  Do you think they already knew this was a hoax before they came out here to investigate it?  The experiments they did in the Mojave seemed really contrived to end with flares experiment.  Who would put real fire in a Chinese lantern sent aloft, anyways?  I'm incredulous that the team wouldn't have considered Glade scented luminaries. Ridiculous.  (That's my word de jour.)

The first half of the episode lived up to my predictions of Destination Truth Summer-camp.  These unfounded assumptions that only a large predator (I think "huge" is the word someone used.  :D) could bring down a sheep--where were the locals to challenge such disingenuous and shoddy investigating?  Any sheep farmer knows that dogs and wolves prey on sheep.  That's why they have sheep dogs in Scotland.  Furthermore, the scavanged sheep remains were hardly evidence of cryptozoological predators.  The skin of a decomposing carcass is just as likely to pull away from the wounds as shrink around them.  Also, I don't understand why they never showed the "beast" running in real time (yet they never showed the pony running in slow motion).  Were they afraid it would look like a Chihuahua?  And that round-up discussion back at "The Situation Room"  ::| was cringe-worthy!  Seriously, I was moaning at the ease with which critical thinking was just thrown out the window in favor of opinionation.  "They're discovering new species every day.  [By the way, no they're not.]  Why wouldn't it be reasonable to think there might be a new species of animal living on the Scottish moors?"  Would you like the short list?

And then, the coup de gras:  the pull out the animated reconstruction.  I just about shot cranberry juice out my nose.  "This is what a lion-boar hybrid might look like."  Are you kidding me?  Do you have no shame?  Lion-boar hybrid?!!!  Not only was that a "ridiculous" and juvenile concept, me thinks anyone who would try to put the idea into the public's head has little respect for us and thinks we're too stupid to get the prank: LIon + boAR = LIAR.

That reminds me:  Some while back I saw Penn and Teller interview the folklorist with the beard and cane--the gentleman the Fact or Faked team spoke with when they arrived in Scotland--about the Loch Ness monster.  To his credit, his very practical explanation was that it's a eunuch eel, which has indeterminate growth.   

I dunno, guys.  Maybe I'm just too jaded to enjoy these shows anymore, but this level of investigating seems like a waste of otherwise fabulous resources. 

Yep. I literally meant the El Cajon UFO hoax. Yes, I'm convinced they knew it was a hoax before they went out to "investigate" it. Glad to know that PPI scooped them not only on the story but the explanation.  ;D

I agree -- the Lion/boar hybrid was absolutely ridiculous. Come on, guys. Cats and boars cannot breed and produce offspring. It's genetically impossible. It's probably nothing more than a fox with mange.  

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/weird-true-and-freaky-legend-of-the-chupacabra.html

PPI Brian

http://www.youtube.com/v/ulcLaKBSlQw&hl=en_US&fs=1&

If you're going to send up sky lanterns, you should send up sky lanterns.  ;D

ljiljanac

I honestly cannot and am not watching these shows anymore.  To me, it's all the same.  Plus, I wish they had googled the New Year's light show first before airing it.  The fact that they don't research what they're investigating first or are simply following a script in spite of past documented research leads me to view them as either nothing but actors playing parts or just plain foolish.  I'm pretty much done with these shows.   :-\

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Lillie on August 06, 2010, 05:16:06 PM
I honestly cannot and am not watching these shows anymore.  To me, it's all the same.  Plus, I wish they had googled the New Year's light show first before airing it.  The fact that they don't research what they're investigating first or are simply following a script in spite of past documented research leads me to view them as either nothing but actors playing parts or just plain foolish.  I'm pretty much done with these shows.   :-\

Thank you, Lillie.  I was only forcing myself to view them so you guys wouldn't feel so bad about watching them, yourselves.  Now I don't have to pretend anymore.  They're almost all like Ritz Mock Apple Pie.  (Anyone else know what I'm talking about, or am I just showing my age and my hick background?)

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Karl on August 06, 2010, 06:57:50 PM
Quote from: PPI Lillie on August 06, 2010, 05:16:06 PM

Thank you, Lillie.  I was only forcing myself to view them so you guys wouldn't feel so bad about watching them, yourselves.  Now I don't have to pretend anymore.  They're almost all like Ritz Mock Apple Pie.  (Anyone else know what I'm talking about, or am I just showing my age and my hick background?)

Hey I used to like Ritz mock apple pie.  ;D  (I suppose that doesn't help, because I'm just as old as you are!)

I admit that I still watch these shows. GH has dropped below GHI lately, for obvious reasons. If all you are going to investigate is public places or museums, Europe has the oldest and coolest (and creepiest) places in the world worth investigating. Although I represent the minority, I can't stay away from the paranormal shows for any length of time. You shouldn't be too surprised, because I have a copy of Spooked Productions "The Ghosts of Waverly Hills" that was autographed by the Booth brothers.  :D 

ljiljanac

Karl.....(deep man voice) "you are not alone".  lol lol   Thank you for sacrificing your time and eyeballs to watch these shows for us who wish not to.    :D   And Brian, I still respect you.  Someone's got to keep up the ratings.   ;)

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Lillie on August 06, 2010, 08:31:24 PM
Karl.....(deep man voice) "you are not alone".  lol lol   Thank you for sacrificing your time and eyeballs to watch these shows for us who wish not to.    :D   And Brian, I still respect you.  Someone's got to keep up the ratings.   ;)

I used to watch all these shows....but not lately. Fact or Faked lost me with their *mock UFO investigation*.
GH lost me with Jason tweeting Faux News reports to justify his beliefs. (Today's is a Faux News report of government spending. )  Not to mention the refrigerator noises being labeled "paranormal" in Alexandria Bay.

Any show w/ psychics makes me cringe.

I remember *Ritz mock apple pie*. Thank qawd I live in a place where it is not considered gourmet!

"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Tim

I just see the repeat of the episode of the El Cajon UFO. They really should have contacted us. BUT "THAT'S PARATAINMENT!"
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Tim on August 13, 2010, 12:48:09 AM
I just see the repeat of the episode of the El Cajon UFO. They really should have contacted us. BUT "THAT'S PARATAINMENT!"

LOL!  ;D  Amazing that we didn't have to go all the way to the Mojave Desert to prove the "ufo" was nothing more than flares suspended by a weather balloon.  :D

PPI Tracy

I have to admit that F or F has lost me.  A few episodes ago, they let go of two cases that would have been very noteworthy, for two absolutely ridiculous ones.  I stopped recording and stopped watching.

GHI...well, to be honest...I had two recorded....and I deleted both without watching.  Sorry...it's just gotten beyond stupid.  Yeah...just don't call me a traitor.  I just sees what I sees.  (and on that show...I sees stupid people)

PPI Tracy

"This is what a lion-boar hybrid might look like."  Are you kidding me?  Do you have no shame?  Lion-boar hybrid?!!!  Not only was that a "ridiculous" and juvenile concept, me thinks anyone who would try to put the idea into the public's head has little respect for us and thinks we're too stupid to get the prank: LIon + boAR = LIAR.

Oh come on now, Karl.  It's "THE" Lion-Boar Hybrid"!!  Don't knock it till you drive one.  The gas pedal is guaranteed not to stick to the floor.

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Tracy on August 13, 2010, 03:19:19 PM

"This is what a lion-boar hybrid might look like."  Are you kidding me?  Do you have no shame?  Lion-boar hybrid?!!!  Not only was that a "ridiculous" and juvenile concept, me thinks anyone who would try to put the idea into the public's head has little respect for us and thinks we're too stupid to get the prank: LIon + boAR = LIAR.

Oh come on now, Karl.  It's "THE" Lion-Boar Hybrid"!!  Don't knock it till you drive one.  The gas pedal is guaranteed not to stick to the floor.

:D   Okay, but I hear the emissions are insufferable.  Oh, wait.  I'm confusing that with the stench of F or F.  BTW, there's a character in an anime I watch (Bleach) that rides a pet boar named Bonnie.  Would it be fair to name a hybrid lion-boar with a reputation for suspicious smells "Bonnie Vent"? ;)

PPI Brian