News:

Thinking of inviting PPI to your home or business? Visit "Client Resources" on our main website for helpful articles and guidelines, or click "Request Help" to contact us about setting up an investigation.

Main Menu

Morning clouds

Started by Gary, January 04, 2010, 09:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Was anyone up early enough to catch a glimpse at the clouds to the East this morning?  Wow, they were beautiful.  Nothing goes better than clouds with an awesome sun rise... or sunset!  Well, you know!   :)  Times like this I wish I had a better quality camera.

Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Karl

These are great, Gary.  Did you happen to see the film Knowing?  These gorgeous, fiery clouds remind me of a few scenes in the film.  I'll say "know" more.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tracy

I'm surprised that I didn't crash my car on the way to work this morning.  I say this because for most of the 35 minute commute, I spent it looking in my rear view mirror.  I left my house around 6:15 and the sun was just starting to come up.  I have to say that I have not seen a sunrise that beautiful in recent memory.  It was nothing short of amazing. 

PPI Tim

Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning.
Those type of clouds indicate that the air is unstable and that we could have rain here in the next 48 to 72 hours.
Sorry, I'm a weather nut. I love weather.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

Damian

I was driving up the 215 North headed towards Vegas this morning and I hit the beautiful San Berardino Mountains shortly after sunrise.  It was beautiful there too...but the clouds were nowhere near as spectacular as the photos.  You gotta love Southern California!
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Jason

I saw this heading into work. Not only were they beautiful, but they had a nice color change. When I started driving they were a deep red, but had evolved into a light orange within only a few miles. Very cool and I'm very glad you caught these on film Gary.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

Gary

Anyone know of any cloud photographer jobs opening up?  Gosh, I think I'd love to do that for a living!!!  HA!   ;D
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Gary on January 05, 2010, 09:37:53 AM
Anyone know of any cloud photographer jobs opening up?  Gosh, I think I'd love to do that for a living!!!  HA!   ;D

Galen Rowell. My favorite photographer of all time.  He didn't start out to be a photographer either.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen_Rowell
http://www.mountainlight.com/gallery.html

PPI Brian

Those pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing those with us.

Yes, I saw them in the morning, and admired them from the dining room, because it was 41 degrees outside and I was too sick to brave the cold morning air. They kept rolling in all day, with streams of virga (translation: an observable streak or shaft of precipitation that falls from a cloud but evaporates before reaching the ground) trailing down like the tentacles of a jelly fish. The mammatus structure (translation: those sagging pouch-like structures) of the clouds was also very interesting. They indicate a lot of turbulence going on inside those clouds. I wouldn't want fly through them. Too bad they were too whimpy to give us any rain.

Note: I added the translations because I've been reminded that I often speak in tongues when I'm ill. :)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tim

Quote from: PPI Gary on January 05, 2010, 09:37:53 AM

God, me too.
I would love to do that for a living. Take pictures of weather and make calendars. Nice :)
Sounds interesting...Go on.

ljiljanac

Early on when I first starting surfing, I LOVED sitting on my board and watching the sun go down on the water.  (sigh)   0:<   Then I found out that sharks feed at sunset, and that about killed that.     :-\

PPI Jason

Quote from: ljiljanac on January 06, 2010, 04:49:23 AM
Early on when I first starting surfing, I LOVED sitting on my board and watching the sun go down on the water.  (sigh)   0:<   Then I found out that sharks feed at sunset, and that about killed that.     :-\

Yeah that would do it for me too. Of course, that may just be propoganda spread by other sufers that don't want their waves crowded when they sit on their boards and watch the sun go down. There is only one way to find out. We should all go out at sunset on surf boards over a period of several weeks and then document how many times we get bitten or eaten by sharks. Just a little scientific experiment I just thought of right now. Can you believe that I come up with such great ideas so quickly?
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

Gary

I will be on shore recording the data!   ::|
Gary \m/

ljiljanac

:o  I'll be on the shore laughing.....in horror, of course.   ;D

PPI Tracy

PPI Jason

-Jack Handey