News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Mammoth Skeleton Unearthed in Downtown San Diego

Started by PPI Brian, February 05, 2009, 11:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Not really a cryptozoology article, but thought it was interesting and worth sharing with our PPI forum family.

A mammoth skeleton was unearthed at a construction site in downtown San Diego.

Here's a link to the Thomas Jefferson School of Law website regarding the find:

http://www.tjsl.edu/mammoth_bones
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

Brian Johnson

Very Cool!!! I hope they will put them on display at the Natural History Museum. I'd pay ten bucks to see that.

PPI Brian

You don't have to wait, but you will have to pay more than $10. General admission is $13. They already have a mastadon and a Columbian Mammoth on display that were found in Carlsbad and Oceanside a few years ago.

http://www.sdnhm.org/exhibits/mystery/index.html

PPI Tim

Sounds interesting...Go on.

ldwalkup

This is fabulous.  It makes you wonder what other creatures roamed San Diego 500,000 years ago.  I remember they found other bones when they were building the 54 freeway several years ago.

PPI Tracy

I don't know if this is the same story or not, but I read on MSNBC yesterday that they found a full mammoth skeleton that was unearthed in LA.  Hmmm...come to think of it, i didn't get to finish the article.  Could it be Los Angeles or.....Louisiana?  I need to check my facts and get back to ya..... :-\

PPI Brian

Quote from: ldwalkup on February 07, 2009, 02:10:18 PM
This is fabulous.  It makes you wonder what other creatures roamed San Diego 500,000 years ago.  I remember they found other bones when they were building the 54 freeway several years ago.

Hi Linda,

I remember that. Around Reo Drive if my memory serves me correctly.

A trip to the La Brea tar pits will answer the question of what roamed our hills and valleys 40,000 years ago. There you will find skeletons of horses, mammoth, mastadon, sabertoothed cats, camels, ground sloths, birds, amphibians and even humans. 

http://www.tarpits.org/education/guide/flora/index.html

PPI Brian

Quote from: TAPS Tracy on February 20, 2009, 12:29:54 PM
I don't know if this is the same story or not, but I read on MSNBC yesterday that they found a full mammoth skeleton that was unearthed in LA.  Hmmm...come to think of it, i didn't get to finish the article.  Could it be Los Angeles or.....Louisiana?  I need to check my facts and get back to ya..... :-\

Hi Tracy,

You were correct; the mammoth was found in Los Angeles. Here's a link to the article: http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre51h7r2-us-mammoth/

ldwalkup

Yes, Brian.  It was around Reo Drive.  That's close to my old stomping grounds.  I'm sure if they dug further, they would have found more.

PPI Brian

Quote from: ldwalkup on February 26, 2009, 12:25:07 AM
Yes, Brian.  It was around Reo Drive.  That's close to my old stomping grounds.  I'm sure if they dug further, they would have found more.

Mine too! I grew up in that area. I used to find fossils in the canyon where the then unheard of Corky McMillan built a condo development in the '70's call The Willows. I also used to fossil hunt in the exposed cliff above the trailer park on Reo Drive. I also found a lot of Kumeyaay stone tools and pottery sherds in the area. Yeah, I'm a South Bay native.  ;D

ldwalkup

Things have really changed in that area, haven't they?  We used to hang out at Thompson's Pond by the golf course.  I lived below the graveyard (my mom still lives there).
We used to have good times exploring that graveyard.  Lots of old markers there.

PPI Brian

Yes, my favorites were the family plot of the Kimballs. We used to hang out there a lot after hours. :)