News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Floating Feet

Started by PPI Brian, June 20, 2008, 11:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

If you've been scanning the net looking for weird stories you've probably heard about the severed human feet clad in running shoes that have been washing ashore in Vancouver, BC. If not, here's a couple of links for your reading pleasure:

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=597081

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2008/06/18/floating-feet-a-worldwide-phenomenon.aspx

http://www.nationalpost.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=597143
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

Brian Johnson

Yeah, and the weird thing is that they are all right feet.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Brian on June 21, 2008, 01:41:45 PM
Yeah, and the weird thing is that they are all right feet.

All but one of them have been right feet. And they said that none of them appeared to have been "mechanically severed" meaning cut with a knife. Apparently they rotted off and the shoes allowed them to float away. Curioser and curioser...  :P

ttjoon

This is just plain straight out of CSI.......bizarre.   :-\

PPI Karl

Theory:  the assailant wraps the victims in plastic sheeting except for the foot, which he (or she) needs expose in order to tie a rope around the ankle to drag the body onto a boat; the body is then winched by said rope and lowered iuntil just the foot is left above water.  Murderer cuts the rope at that point and lets the body sink to the ocean floor.  The rope, however, has perforated the flesh and the act of dragging and winching the body by it has very likely begun breaking up the ankle, which demarcates the foot from the rest of the body.  As the corpse rots in the water, the rope-burn rots first and the foot with shoe still attached is the first part to separate and float away while the rest of the body remains contained in its plastic sheeting at the bottom of the ocean.

Also, there's something transparently "Dexter" about this, no?
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

ttjoon

Quote from: PPI Karl on June 23, 2008, 01:06:40 PM
Theory:  the assailant wraps the victims in plastic sheeting except for the foot, which he (or she) needs expose in order to tie a rope around the ankle to drag the body onto a boat; the body is then winched by said rope and lowered iuntil just the foot is left above water.  Murderer cuts the rope at that point and lets the body sink to the ocean floor.  The rope, however, has perforated the flesh and the act of dragging and winching the body by it has very likely begun breaking up the ankle, which demarcates the foot from the rest of the body.  As the corpse rots in the water, the rope-burn rots first and the foot with shoe still attached is the first part to separate and float away while the rest of the body remains contained in its plastic sheeting at the bottom of the ocean.

Karl....you're scaring me.

MichaelF (FPIE)

Having recently found out that Karl has only 3.5 degrees of seperation from Damer, and with his clear insight on how the feet are being found; I believe the case is solved.....
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

PPI Brian

Excellent observation, Karl. But I believe they would have to weight down the body... decomposition causes bodies to bloat and float to the surface.  :P

ttjoon

Quote from: PPI Brian M on June 23, 2008, 01:41:56 PM
Excellent observation, Karl. But I believe they would have to weight down the body... decomposition causes bodies to bloat and float to the surface.  :P

Oh God!  Not you TOO!

MichaelF (FPIE)

Maybe they stick them in a plastic bag that also has weights in it.  The foot sticks out the top so you have something to handle it by like Karl said.  This way you counter the floater issue and still explain the feet.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

PPI Brian

Quote from: TAPS Tracy on June 23, 2008, 06:41:57 PM

Oh God!  Not you TOO!

Sorry, Tracy. I had hoped to become a forensic anthropologist in my youth...

ttjoon

Quote from: PPI Brian M on June 23, 2008, 11:52:33 PM
Quote from: TAPS Tracy on June 23, 2008, 06:41:57 PM

Oh God!  Not you TOO!

Sorry, Tracy. I had hoped to become a forensic anthropologist in my youth...

I was just kiddin', Brian.  Actually, forensics fascinates me.  Science in general.  And if I had college to do all over again..........

PPI Brian

Here's the latest on the Floating Feet mystery in Vancouver, BC: scientists have determined through DNA testing that two of the severed feet belonged to one man. Police are now searching through a database of missing persons trying to match DNA collected from the mysterious remains. Here's the article:
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gvtenQJkF4rBgj5PhsgjNJz1no5w

Hyper

I am thinking that you have put WAYYYYY to much thought into that one.. I's Skerrrd :-\

Quote from: PPI Karl on June 23, 2008, 01:06:40 PM

bellalaghoste

wow like out of dexter.  or csi.  Serial killer probaly. 

ttjoon

Dexter.  Now THERE is a freaky show.  :o

bellalaghoste

That a great show I love crazy shows like that.  I love mostly anything morrid.

PPI Brian

I stumbled across another article about the floating feet today, and thought I would share it with everyone on the forums. Apparently the severed feet continue to wash ashore along the Pacific Northwest.  :P

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26014848

ellie

I think it may have to do with some sort of poison......can a chemical cause an imbalance in the body that may contribute to floating limbs.  Hmmmmmmm.....

dwalters

Quote from: PPI Ellie on August 05, 2008, 06:52:21 PM
I think it may have to do with some sort of poison......can a chemical cause an imbalance in the body that may contribute to floating limbs.  Hmmmmmmm.....

Sounds like an excellent case for agents Mulder and Scully

Brian Johnson

You mean Moldy and Skuller.

dwalters

Brian Johnson

Crime scene investigaors, one deals in spores, molds, and fungus. the other in bones. Lol. ;D

johnny

hehe, i just watched the new movie and it was suspenseful and entertaining. Scully gets Mulder to look into a investigation where a psychic is involved.

"I want to Believe!"
Heaven won't take me and hell's afraid I'll take over.

PPI Tim

How strange!
I think something afoot. ;D

When did the Captain Ahab style arrive in fashion?
Talk about your message in a bottle.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Brian

Quote from: Tim on August 06, 2008, 02:51:43 AM
How strange!
I think something afoot. ;D

When did the Captain Ahab style arrive in fashion?
Talk about your message in a bottle.

ROTFLMAO!  ;D

I almost ASNRed on my computer! Something's afoot!  ;D  Your sick, dude.

On a serious note, I'm still curious where these severed feet came from. I know the authorities have been checking missing persons reports and maritime records for mission boaters, but this is just freaking weird. There had to be several bodies in the water to account for all the feet washing ashore.

PPI Tim

It think that the authorities can solve this mystery.
By jumping in with both feet.

They can start off on the right foot.

by putting thier best foot forward. ;D

Sorry, I couldn't stand it anymore.
Tim

ellie

:D Yeah, I dont think you want to end up with your foot in your mouth

PPI Tim

LOL

Has any more feet floating up yet?

Brian Johnson

I think that they are ankle deep in this case. More feet would just make thing more difficult.