News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

I have created The Foundation for Paranormal Invest. and Edu. (F.P.I.E.)

Started by MichaelF (FPIE), April 16, 2008, 11:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelF (FPIE)

Hello everybody,

As many of you know, since PPI is full (and you wouldn't want me anyways  :P ) I have been talking about starting my own group.  Well I have actually done it, I am working on our website right now and when it is presentable, I will make it available.  It will be easy to find at fpie.org .

Some of you may be curious what F.P.I.E will be, so here is some information; keep in mind, this is my long term vision of where I want the organization to go, not where it currently is.  Our goal will obviously be helping people in many different fashions, and at the same time furthering Paranormal research and education.  Information is great, but if people can't easily access that information, then it is useless. 

The investigation side of our organization will perform "Ghost Hunting," in both private and public places, with our main focus being on helping people.  In the early stages of our investigations, we will be using strict scientific methods and associated equipment.  However, once paranormal activity has been documented or proven, more sensitive means may be utilized.  In some cases where scientific means consistently fail to provide results, sensitives may be utilized as well.  In all cases where sensitives may be used, their primary goal will be getting demonstrations that can be recorded.  Since "sensitives" have abilities that we truly don't understand, they will be firmly involved in our research and education aspects as well.  The more they are able to prove thier abilities and the more we understand them, the more usefull they will be on investigations.  Being a paranormal organization, we would be remiss to not use all tools available, yet at the same time, we must understand those tools before they can fully be utilized.

The education aspect of our foundation continues along with our goal of helping people.  Not everybody who needs Paranormal help / advice are people who are experiancing hauntings.  Some people may have had an isolated incident, think they may be sensitive, or are just generally curious about the paranormal.  There are other resources out there to help people, yet not all are very interactive.  It's not uncommon to contact "experts" in the field and never get a response.  Our goal will to be provide a forum where people from all over can interact and get questions answered.  F.P.I.E. wont claim to have all the answers, but we can hopefully get you in touch with somebody who can help.  Locally in San Diego, we will have meetings, trainings, and discussions; most of these will be open to the general public.  These trainings will cover such things as debunking and paranormal equipment; groups designed for people to increase their "sensitivity;" and just general discussions on paranormal topics and thoeries.  Once were established, the goal will be a weekly meeting of some sort.  My desire is for FPIE to have a very active relationship with non-members.

So what will my relationship with PPI be?  Well to be honest, I'm not totally sure yet; I wanted to talk about some details with Dave at GR08, but we never really got a chance.  I have a lot of respect for PPI, I have been lucky to interact with many of you here on the forums and hope to continue to do so.  Obviously in the begining, some Investigations may be beyond our current scope, in which case, we would refer them to PPI (assuming you would want that.)  Also we plan on using outside consultants, for many of our "experts."  These people can help give advice on our forums, accept referalls, and if they desire assist with meetings and discussions.  Many of you at PPI are extremely knowledgeable in many different areas, and I would truly appreciate your help.  On the forums and at all times, it will be clear that you are members of PPI and not FPIE, so there is no confusion.  Eventually, I hope to build FPIE into a resource that PPI will find valuable as well.

Again as I said in the begining, this is a long term project and while my goals are lofty, I feel they can be accomplished.  Thank you for anybody who actually took the time to read this, I look forward to interacting with you as much as possible.

Michael
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

ttjoon

Congratulations Michael.  F.P.I.E. looks like such a worthy endeavor and very promising as well.  :)

MichaelF (FPIE)

200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

PPI Brian

I wish you all the best with this endeavor, Mike. This is no small undertaking, and I know you will make FPIE one of the shining jewels in the field of Paranormal Research.

Regards,

Brian Miller
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

leslie

Very cool, Michael. Good luck with this new and exciting venture.

CACPIR_Dave

Michael, you mentioned you guys aren't going to claim to have all the answers.  You should.  People love getting help form someone when they think they have all the answers.  It will also help you in dealing with other groups.  If you have all the answers and the other group doesn't, they'll respect you more!

Ok, just kidding.  Good luck with it all.  I am in So Cal also with my (currently still kind of innactive) group.  Hopefully we'll get to talk and collaboarate, compare notes, etc together.

Shellshock

XoXo

dwalters

Very cool Michael...would you mind if I referred applicants of PPI to your group?

MichaelF (FPIE)

Thx Shelly.

Sure Dave that would be great, I have had a few applicants so far, but most of them have zero experiance, zero gear, and can't really commit the time to be serious.  Most are just looking to do an investigation once in a while and such.  I don't mind having some casual people, but I'm trying to build a core of dedicated people, and that is hard.  So anybody that you can send me would be great.  The website is taking me longer then I planned to get setup, so you can have them just contact me here if they are interested (for now.)  I'll post when the website is up.

Thanks,
Michael

johnny

It's too bad you all are so far away. I'd like to get my feet wet as well and am considering buying equipment soon, as soon as I figure out just how good of equipment one needs and how low end one can go before it's worthless in an investigation.  Good luck to you.
Heaven won't take me and hell's afraid I'll take over.

ttjoon

Quote from: johnny on April 28, 2008, 08:42:21 PM
It's too bad you all are so far away. I'd like to get my feet wet as well and am considering buying equipment soon, as soon as I figure out just how good of equipment one needs and how low end one can go before it's worthless in an investigation.  Good luck to you.

Johnny -

Check out ghostmart.com 

They have some Lutron EMF meters that are pretty great.  There is a site on eBay that sells EMF meters as well.  I cannot recall the name of the seller at the moment, but will post tonight if I can.  A good Olympus audio recorder like the vn4100 which is what I have is good.  A good digital camera, a high 8 or even Sony handicam will work.  I have both.  You don't need expensive equipment though.  Just some basic stuff.  Doesn't need to be fancy.  You just need to get started.  That might be the hardest part. There is a wealth of information on this site.  Do some digging and you should come up with some good stuff.  There are so many knowledgeable people here as well.  You are in good company.  Can't wait to hear about your first investigation.  Go for it!  :)

johnny

Quote from: PPI Tracy on April 28, 2008, 10:11:24 PM

Johnny -

Check out ghostmart.com 

They have some Lutron EMF meters that are pretty great.  There is a site on eBay that sells EMF meters as well.  I cannot recall the name of the seller at the moment, but will post tonight if I can.  A good Olympus audio recorder like the vn4100 which is what I have is good.  A good digital camera, a high 8 or even Sony handicam will work.  I have both.  You don't need expensive equipment though.  Just some basic stuff.  Doesn't need to be fancy.  You just need to get started.  That might be the hardest part. There is a wealth of information on this site.  Do some digging and you should come up with some good stuff.  There are so many knowledgeable people here as well.  You are in good company.  Can't wait to hear about your first investigation.  Go for it!  :)

many thanks for the point to Ghostmart, hopefully I'll run across some posts on how to interpret the readings as well.
Heaven won't take me and hell's afraid I'll take over.

MichaelF (FPIE)

Website is up,  http://fpie.org/  still working on some things but swing on by and check it out!

PPI Brian

Hi Mike,

On first glance the site looks very professional. The animations are subtle and well done. Perhaps you might consider omitting the phrase: "We Believe You" ... aside from the possible Ghost Busters copyright infringement, leaving that phrase implies to the first time visitor that your group approaches a case with a bias toward believing the claims of the client without any substantial evidence, rather than approaching a case from a scientific point of view. :)

Just my two cents...

Regards,

Brian Miller

MichaelF (FPIE)

Quote from: PPI Brian M on June 25, 2008, 06:54:27 PM
Hi Mike,

On first glance the site looks very professional. The animations are subtle and well done. Perhaps you might consider omitting the phrase: "We Believe You" ... aside from the possible Ghost Busters copyright infringement, leaving that phrase implies to the first time visitor that your group approaches a case with a bias toward believing the claims of the client without any substantial evidence, rather than approaching a case from a scientific point of view. :)

Just my two cents...

Regards,

Brian Miller

Bah, if you visited, at least signup on fhe forums, so I don't look like a loser without any people there  :P

I wasn't aware of any "We believe you" thing with Ghostbusters.  May need to look into the legality of that.

I understand exactly what your saying about the "we believe you" seems to mean, and your exactly right.  I do believe a client when they come to me, they are experiencing "something."  From that point on, we need to figure out what that something is, it could be paranormal, it could be mental health related, or it could be a squeaky house.   The belief is only in the fact that they believe they are experiencing something, and I don't want them to worry about talking about it.

Twice a month I go to the San Diego Ghost Hunters and Psychic group, you cna visibly see the relief on peoples faces as they realise that nobody will think they are crazy and such.

I 100% understand what your saying, and appreciate the advice, I thought about it for a long time before putting it in actually.

PPI Brian

Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on June 25, 2008, 07:10:28 PM
Quote from: PPI Brian M on June 25, 2008, 06:54:27 PM
Hi Mike,

Just my two cents...

Regards,

Brian Miller

Bah, if you visited, at least signup on fhe forums, so I don't look like a loser without any people there  :P

I wasn't aware of any "We believe you" thing with Ghostbusters.  May need to look into the legality of that.

I understand exactly what your saying about the "we believe you" seems to mean, and your exactly right.  I do believe a client when they come to me, they are experiencing "something."  From that point on, we need to figure out what that something is, it could be paranormal, it could be mental health related, or it could be a squeaky house.   The belief is only in the fact that they believe they are experiencing something, and I don't want them to worry about talking about it.

Twice a month I go to the San Diego Ghost Hunters and Psychic group, you cna visibly see the relief on peoples faces as they realise that nobody will think they are crazy and such.

I 100% understand what your saying, and appreciate the advice, I thought about it for a long time before putting it in actually.

Hi Mike,

I will sign up for your forums... no worries.

As for the "believing people" stuff, I guess what I was trying to say is sometimes people are not being honest with us when they ask for our help. Sometimes there are people who want to deceive us, or lure us out on false pretenses. I've been actively involved in paranormal investigation for almost 29 years, and I must say that I am much more skeptical now than I was when I first got involved in the field. Please don't take this the wrong way; it's your website and you can say whatever you want, but I was just sharing my initial impressions based on the contradiction between the "We Believe You" blurb and the content on your "Who We Are" page. 

MichaelF (FPIE)

K man, that's cool, I will think about it some more.

When I get a little more time, I am gonig to actually be making another page that is much more in depth with what we are and such, I will actually be addressing the "we believe you" thing there.

If somebody comes who is just trying for attention or outright trying to decieve us, then the saying is still true.... "we believe you" are an idiot.

PPI Brian

PPI Brian

Happy birthday, Micheal.

We haven't heard from you in a long time, and all of us at PPI hope you're doing well.

Regards,

Brian