News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

The Ghost Children

Started by PPI Tim, June 01, 2009, 02:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Tim

From the book of 666 absolutely true stories...

Many years ago in San Antonio, Texas, a school bus full of children stalled on railroad tracks.
As the driver tried to get the engine to turnover, a freight train at top speed raced down the track, smashed into the bus and killed the driver and all the children.
A few weeks after the tregedy, a car full of kids from the local high school stalled on the same railroad tracks. The boys were about to climb out of the car when everyone felt the car begin to rock gently forward. Then it glided over the tracks and rolled to safety on the other side.
The story spread throughout San Antonio. People began to drive to the railroad tracks and purposely cut the engine. Every time the car rolled off the tracks to safety.
Finally a detective on the city's police force decided to conduct a little experiment. He dusted the entire surface on his car with the same powder he used at crime scenes to collect fingerprints. Then he drove to the railroad tracks and turned off his engine. Almost immediately he felt his car rocking gently, then it glided over the tracks.
When it stopped, the detective jumped out to examine the body of the car. In the powder on the rear and along the sides he saw the little handprints of dozens of children.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Tracy

I have read about this.  The accident did in fact happen with the school children but the ground is uneven and a bit of an optical illusion to where it appears that the ground is even but is not, thus making vehicles seem to move by themselves.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/handprint.asp

PPI Tim

And the handprints of the children?
It is after all a urban legend...isn't it?

PPI Tracy

I think any handprints were from children that were LIVING.  After all....they put their mits on everything.

PPI Jason

I think the fingerprint powder is likely not true. I based this on my personal experience with fingerprint powder (and I have a lot of it).

1. No cop is going to toss fingerprint powder on his car just for an experiment. The stuff is incredibly messy and gets everywhere. It's also somewhat expensive and it takes quite a bit of it to cover a car. Just for fun, I've attached a photograph of me with powder all over my face when I first learned how to use the stuff. Funny thing is, I still get it all over my face. And it takes forever to wash off.

2. Fingerprint powder on a clean car simply falls off. The only thing it adheres to is moisture or oils from fingerprints already on the vehicle. If the car were wet when the officer applied the powder, then the powder would stick to the vehicle, but it would make a muddy mess. If the car were clean and dry, then the powder would fall off. After it fell off, then it wouldn't be able to show new hands touching the vehicle because the powder is all gone.

The story tugs on the heart strings. I just don't think it rings true  :-\
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Tim

By the look of the picture, I would say the children helped you across the tracks too Jason. ;D

PPI Jason

Quote from: PPI Tim on June 02, 2009, 12:31:16 AM
By the look of the picture, I would say the children helped you across the tracks too Jason. ;D

Well, it got worse actually. By the end of the night it looked like I had been in a boxing match with the kids........and lost  :D
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

externalink

Quote from: TAPS Tracy on June 01, 2009, 02:38:44 PM
I have read about this.  The accident did in fact happen with the school children but the ground is uneven and a bit of an optical illusion to where it appears that the ground is even but is not, thus making vehicles seem to move by themselves.

I love snopes!!!!
"The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity."

PPI Tim

Quote from: PPI Jason on June 02, 2009, 05:05:03 AM
Quote from: PPI Tim on June 02, 2009, 12:31:16 AM

Well, it got worse actually. By the end of the night it looked like I had been in a boxing match with the kids........and lost  :D
LOL! And at the end of the night you found out it was YOU who done it!
HaHA!

PPI Tracy

Quote from: externalink on June 02, 2009, 02:15:10 PM
Quote from: TAPS Tracy on June 01, 2009, 02:38:44 PM

I love snopes!!!!

I do too!!  It is my  "go to" website for all of those emails that get sent out that always sound too outlandish to be anything but an urban legend....

oh wait...duh.....what is the title of this thread?  "Urban Legend".  Uh..yeah. I READ, don't I?   ::|

PPI Tim

I wanted to start a Darwin Awards section but I think this is closer to the website theme.

PPI Jason

I love Snopes too. I found it to be THE go-to source to take the steam out all of the annoying and fraudulent urban legends that I keep getting in my emails (and at a frustratingly faster pace to boot).
But I still try to approach any internet source with caution. There really isn't a Snopes for Snopes, and I personally try not to take Snopes as Bible truth (and I don't even take the Bible as Bible truth). Trust.....but verify.   P^/
-Jack Handey

PPI Tim

But just like Tracy said, This section is about urban legends. Snopes.com is quite worthy of a website. This section is mainly to entertain and if possible inform those who visit the forums of urban legends that they have not yet heard.

Brian Johnson

I know I mention this a lot, but. Hometown Tales ( fantastic podcast) gets a lot of tales like this. In fact they have a theory, that there is a place like this in every hometown in America. If you would like to hear more great stories go to www.hometowntales.blogspot.com  Do I sound Like an Ad?

PPI Tim

Are taking credit for it?

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Brian J on June 08, 2009, 03:05:36 AM
I know I mention this a lot, but. Hometown Tales ( fantastic podcast) gets a lot of tales like this. In fact they have a theory, that there is a place like this in every hometown in America. If you would like to hear more great stories go to www.hometowntales.blogspot.com  Do I sound Like an Ad?

Do you sound like "an ad"?  Noooo.  Of course not.

Hurry while supplies last.    ;)

Brian Johnson