News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Dust Older Than The Sun Found In Earth's Atmosphere

Started by PPI Brian, May 06, 2009, 02:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Meteorites on the ground or icy comets millions of miles away are usually the only sources of ancient matter from the early days of the solar system.

But in a high-flying experiment, researchers have used a sort of chemical flypaper to scoop up comet dust from Earth's atmosphere?and it appears to be some of the oldest matter in our cosmic neighborhood.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/04/090428-oldest-matter.html
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Jason

You know, what amazes me most about this experiment isn't the results. I think most of us could have guessed that we would find dust particles in comets that pre-date our solar system. What amazes me most is the creative minds that come up with such unique ways of finding this stuff out.

What also amazes me is that they can use chemical "fingerprints" from the dust to actually determine the gas cloud our solar system originated from. It's like a cosmic Maury Povich Show.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Brian

LOL!

Yep, it kind of helps put everything in perspective, doesn't it?

Carl Sagan said it all so eloquently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE9dEAx5Sgw

PPI Tim

Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Brian

PPI Tim

Sorry, I have no idea what the hell that was all about ???
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Tracy

Um..Tim?  I think the phrase is "Luke, I am your Father"!

PPI Brian

Brian Johnson

Quote from: TAPS Tracy on May 12, 2009, 05:07:08 PM

"No, that's not true. That's impossible!" :'( ;D

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Brian J on June 09, 2009, 04:50:12 PM
Quote from: TAPS Tracy on May 12, 2009, 05:07:08 PM

"No, that's not true. That's impossible!" :'( ;D

Yep.  Sorry to break it to you.  And C3PO?...well, he is Darth's cousin. (twice removed, i think)