News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

World's Oil Supply

Started by PPI Tim, July 29, 2008, 03:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Tim

Hey Guys,
I remember when I was in school back in 1994, that my teacher said, at the time, that there was a estimated 20 year supply of oil
left in the world before we humans would exhaust that supply.  That was 14 years ago.
Do you guys think that estimate was close and that this might be the reason that oil prices are going through the roof?
Can we be running out of oil and the oil companies are not telling us about because they don't want to start a panic?
Whatcha Think?

Are we heading for Soylant Green?
Sounds interesting...Go on.

MichaelF (FPIE)

No, there is plenty of Oil left.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

ttjoon

I remember the "gas shortage" in 1978.  100 cars lined up for gas along Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach.  I'd walk to jr. high and see these people sitting in their cars like zombies, just waiting for their turn at the pump.

If you recall....there was no gas shortage. 

bellalaghoste

well maybe but the media likes to scare us a lot.  We need to find better ways to get us around. 

PPI Tim

The media is there to keep us in line.
They constantly are clubbing the public with the fear stick.
Long live Big Oil

ttjoon

Quote from: Tim on July 29, 2008, 04:50:22 PM
The media is there to keep us in line.
They constantly are clubbing the public with the fear stick.
Long live Big Oil

I love that line out of that John Mayer song , "Waiting on the World to Change":

"When you trust your television, what you get is what you got...
Cuz when they own the information, oh..they can bend it all they want"

PPI Tim

So most of you who have answered this question believe that there is no oil shortage.
Can I ask you this.
What do you think we would be experience if there was a real oil shortage?
How would the world look?
What do you think we would see?

MichaelF (FPIE)

In this short temr it would affect a lot, but in the long term not much would change because there are alternatives.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

PPI Tim

Did you think if there was a shortage in the world's oil could a spark a world war?

ttjoon

"Oh Death and Murder, and Grief and Sorrow".....

Steve Martin's comedy routine comes to mind as he is singing the above line with a cheery voice while playing the banjo.

It's TOO early in the morning to get depressed!

PPI Tim

I think  the song from monty python comes to mind.
Always looking on the bright side of life!
Come on,
Whistle the tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

ttjoon

Quote from: Tim on July 30, 2008, 11:53:12 AM
I think  the song from monty python comes to mind.
Always looking on the bright side of life!
Come on,
Whistle the tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

I love that song/scene/movie!

MichaelF (FPIE)

What's really sad is that yesterday I was actually thrilled to be paying $3.79 a gallon for gas last night.  Not to long ago, I would have been fuming.

PPI Tim

It is sick. You have me envious. $3.79 for gas. Here in San Diego I saw a sign for gas that read
$4.05. I found myself going "Cool!, I'm ONLY paying $4.09 for gas!"
I saw the $4.05 sign AFTER I fill my tank at another gas station >:(

Kristen

The estimate of 20 years supply 14 years ago was just that, an estimate.  They really have no way of knowing how much oil there is left in the world.  They may have better estimates now, but again, they are only estimates.

Quote from: Tim on July 30, 2008, 02:47:45 AM
So most of you who have answered this question believe that there is no oil shortage.
Can I ask you this.
What do you think we would be experience if there was a real oil shortage?
How would the world look?
What do you think we would see?

1. mayhem caused by the media
2. change in tax structure for oil giants...and "green"energy providers and consumers
3. telecommuting will become somewhat mandatory in many workplaces due to the conditions
4. over time, assuming we aren't dependant on batteries, the earth may become cleaner (this goes for batteries in cars as well, they aren't great for the enviro if you take the making and disposing of them into account)
5. the world economy will be shaken up entirely.  food transports will be the most obvious, along with clothing and other goods (China beware).  Hey, maybe this will lead to less poisonings due to imported toys and food products!!!   :D

Nothing is for sure, but if things don't picking up speed into the "green" energy department, we're all in for a rough ride.
Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be understood.  ~Marie Curie

MichaelF (FPIE)

Quote from: Tim on July 30, 2008, 04:36:53 PM
It is sick. You have me envious. $3.79 for gas. Here in San Diego I saw a sign for gas that read

Heh, I am in San Diego.

Kristen

Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on July 30, 2008, 07:04:18 PM
Quote from: Tim on July 30, 2008, 04:36:53 PM

Heh, I am in San Diego.

Getting gas ast the base I presume.... ;)

PPI Tim

Where are you paying for gas at that rate?

MichaelF (FPIE)

PPI Tim

I thought you were going to say TJ

ttjoon

Kristen

I'm still envious of the $4.09...I paid $4.25 3 days ago.

ttjoon

The lowest I have seen was in Cypress yesterday.  It was 4.05

I feel really twisted getting all excited at the prospect of paying "only $4.05"

PPI Tim

No Kidding.
I don't what I'm going to do with myself when I'm paying under $4.00 for gas.
WAHOO :o

PPI Brian

Quote from: TAPS Tracy on July 31, 2008, 06:21:57 PM
The lowest I have seen was in Cypress yesterday.  It was 4.05

I feel really twisted getting all excited at the prospect of paying "only $4.05"

I paid $4.05 this morning for gas too. Last time I paid less than $4.00 a gallon I was in Arizona.  :P
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

Brian Johnson

Gas is now $3.91 at the Arco in El Cajon.

PPI Tim

Don't be fooled by OIL companies!
I'm sure that gas prices will be up just in time for Christmas.
OR
Is the gas prices going to stay down?
You know Big Oil love Republican Stooges for President?
I can't believe how much of the country falls for this.

MichaelF (FPIE)

Oil prices will keep dropping so that by the time the election comes around it wont be on peoples mind as much.

ttjoon

PPI Tim

$3.99 in Casa De Oro
JOY, JOY JOY!
I wish food prices would drop as fast as gas prices can.