News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

looking for a group in oceanside

Started by Sariki, November 27, 2011, 08:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sariki

I am looking for a paranormal group in Oceanside North county area please help!!

PPI Tracy

What type of assistance do you need?  Tell us what is going on and perhaps we may be able to lend a hand.

Sariki

Sorry I was a little vague on what I meant lol. I am looking to join a paranormal group. My apologies for the confusion ^_^.

Sariki

*bumb*
Nobody??? I was hoping to find a group lol.

PPI Brian

Don't give up yet. People are kind of busy this time of year with year end and family obligations.  ;D
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

adminsandiegohaunted

Hi, might I suggest joining the San Diego Ghost Meetup group http://www.meetup.com/San-Diego-Ghosts/ They meet twice a month, and anyone interested in the paranormal is welcome to join.

Sariki

Thanks for the link. I do appreciate it. I know that people are busy. I was looking at a group but he wanted money from me, and some of the guidlines that they had were very sketchy. They said that they were a non-profit (no certficiate of course) but that they needed to raise money and that we were supposed to do  that. it was just all around a very bad experience.
thank for your help though admin.

adminsandiegohaunted

I would say highly suspect if they want money from you.

PPI Brian

That does sound really sketchy. There are a lot of paranormal groups out there, but I would say a majority of them will not be around once the paranormal television shows go out of vogue. Tim and I recently joined the meetup group Dan mentioned. It's a great group of people and I highly recommend them.

adminsandiegohaunted

Quote from: PPI Brian on December 23, 2011, 03:08:51 PM
That does sound really sketchy. There are a lot of paranormal groups out there, but I would say a majority of them will not be around once the paranormal television shows go out of vogue. Tim and I recently joined the meetup group Dan mentioned. It's a great group of people and I highly recommend them.

It is a odd time we live in, when Taboo, scoffed at, subjects like the paranormal have become so quickly embedded and commercialized mainstream. Brian is right "Fads Fade," and paranormal groups disappear just as quickly as they come into fruition. There will always be cross sections of people interested in the subject of haunted paranormal (like myself).

PPI Brian

Quote from: adminsandiegohaunted on December 23, 2011, 03:37:28 PM

It is a odd time we live in, when Taboo, scoffed at, subjects like the paranormal have become so quickly embedded and commercialized mainstream. Brian is right "Fads Fade," and paranormal groups disappear just as quickly as they come into fruition. There will always be cross sections of people interested in the subject of haunted paranormal (like myself).

I agree. I look back when I was a fledgling investigator working with June Reading at the Whaley House in 1980 and think... how is it possible that I've been active in this field of study for 32 years? I doubt many of the investigators out there today wil still be doing this in 2042. Barring impermanence, I probably will.  ;D

Sariki

You know I am the same way. I have recently took it upon myself too activly start investigating. I have always had a interest in it. I just never relized how expensive equipment was you know? I don't see myself getting out of this feild i'm just a little slow on getting started. I'm almost tempted too start my own but I woulnd't even know where too begin you know? I agree with the "Fads Fade" I give it a couple more years or so and it will fall off the face of the earth just like every other fad.

PPI Jason

I plan to be doing this for a long time, as well. But I also know there are some well intentioned people who may only explore this field for a while and then move on.

I don't see anything wrong with that. But there are some things I think are very wrong and that many groups do today.

1. I don't like groups that represent themselves as knowing more than they do. It's easy to do this in a field where little is truly known or understood. And there are frauds out there that take advantage of this.
2. I don't like groups that charge for their services. Groups that do this are usually charlatains.
3. I don't mind groups that aren't too serious about the subject. For example, the groups that go around for the thriill of trying to scare themselves in a haunted mansion. I don't mind that. If that's what they enjoy, then who am I to tell them differently. However, many groups are starting out as this and then turning into groups where they charge people to let them come into their homes and screw around or they charge the public to "teach" them about ghosts while they put on a show with fancy devices that light up randomly and tell the public, "Look, it's a ghost!" I have issues with this type of "paratainment."
4. I also don't mind people that do research into the paranormal and then write about it and sell books that discuss the paranormal. In fact, I think this is essential. But there is a difference between a book that shares experiences and insight and one that claims to be a definitive tome (which would violate number 1 above).
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

Sariki

Jason I agree with you on all 4 of your "things" so to speak. I don't like that whole "my group knows everything about paranmoral" it's rediculious. And you right if they are there for personal gain it gives alot of us a bad name you know? with all the new claims and technology, these days you never know who is real and who is fake. It's like high school in a way. You have the preppy one who go around seeking attention from everyone. And you have the ones who stay under the radar but everyone reccomends them because they know what they are doing and they do it go. so they are considered the "outcasts". It's just stupid to be honest.
oi i am rambling again lol

PPI Brian

I also agree with your points, Jason. I don't have a problem with the thrill seekers or the tour guides, and I don't have a problem with the folx on TV chasing after every imaginary shadow and off camera sound. The tours and the TV shows raise awareness of the paranormal field, and sometimes give the lay person an opportunity to explore a location they might not otherwise have access to. I only have a problem when they start calling themselves the "authority" on paranormal research. Oh, and I also have a problem with people who fake evidence of paranormal activity for their tours or TV shows or paranormal seminars. I think that's detrimental to the field as a whole and insults the intelligence of people who are serious about the filed.

One suggestion for finding a group that might be a better fit is to participate on that group's forums, if they have one set up on their website. That way you get an idea of their character before you jump in with both feet.

PPI Brian

Quote from: Sariki on December 23, 2011, 04:33:42 PM
I just never relized how expensive equipment was you know?

Some of the equipment can be cost prohibitive, but remember better equipment doesn't necessarily make one a better investigator. The highly coveted FLIR isn't really necessary. All it does is give you a visual reference of surface temperatures in a given location. If the person using the FLIR hasn't been trained in its use and operation, they can't be expected to reach any reliable conclusions. Remember, these tools are only environmental monitoring devices designed for other applications. We simply adopted them for our use, but that doesn't mean we don't have to learn how to use them.  :)

The basic tools of the trade are:

A notebook and pen
A good digital voice recorder (one with a freq response of 20Hz to 20,000Hz)
A good digital camera or a good digital video camera with infrared capability
A good pair of headphones for listening to your audio files
An EMF meter
A thermocouple thermometer
A computer

You can download a copy of Audacity for free. It's a very powerful audio editing program and you can't beat the price. You can isolate video and still images using Windows Movie Maker or other equivalent bundled software.

Sariki

Thanks for your imput Brian. I really do appreicate it. I have the camera though it doesn't have night shot or anything like that. I am looking into getting IR for it. As for the digital recorder. I went and bought one and I dind't check too see if it was USB capable. I had to return it of course. I am going to save up to get a better one.

adminsandiegohaunted

Quote from: PPI Brian on December 23, 2011, 04:23:26 PM

I agree. I look back when I was a fledgling investigator working with June Reading at the Whaley House in 1980 and think... how is it possible that I've been active in this field of study for 32 years? I doubt many of the investigators out there today wil still be doing this in 2042. Barring impermanence, I probably will.  ;D

2042 ??? We all know that life ends on 2012. Geez come on Brian...... lol.

PPI Brian

Quote from: adminsandiegohaunted on December 23, 2011, 09:06:49 PM
Quote from: PPI Brian on December 23, 2011, 04:23:26 PM

I agree. I look back when I was a fledgling investigator working with June Reading at the Whaley House in 1980 and think... how is it possible that I've been active in this field of study for 32 years? I doubt many of the investigators out there today wil still be doing this in 2042. Barring impermanence, I probably will.  ;D

2042 ??? We all know that life ends on 2012. Geez come on Brian...... lol.

LOL! Don't get me started on the Meso American Calander Round and Long Count calendar. I can bore you to death talking about that subject.  ;D

Dr. Brian Cox summed it up well in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/v/vw9K0tI9mxc?fs=1&hl=en_US

http://www.youtube.com/v/BeE-3BBqG58