News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Famous Dead Neighbors

Started by PPI Brian, March 16, 2011, 03:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

I found this link to a San Diego Reader article about famous San Diego residents and their final resting places.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/bands/2008/jun/28/famous-dead-neighbors-in-san-diego-plus-my-brunch-/
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tracy

That is a wonderful treasure chest of information.  There are quite a few of those I'd like to go see.

PPI Jason

Way cool. I want to go to Beth Sarim and see if Moses and them drop by.

Very interesting reading about so many famous people and seeing how they all came here.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

Anne-Marie

There's a nice story attached to the grave of Raymond Chandler and his wife.  Cissy Chandler died first and her ashes were stored in the mausoleum next to Mt. Hope. Raymond Chandler wished to be buried with her when he died, but sadly his wishes were forgotten and he was buried separately.  They remained apart for over 50 years until a group of his fans made the necessary legal arrangements to move Cissy's cremains to Raymond's gravesite.  They were officially reunited this past Valentine?s Day. <3

PPI Brian

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Brian M on March 16, 2011, 03:07:28 AM
I found this link to a San Diego Reader article about famous San Diego residents and their final resting places.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/bands/2008/jun/28/famous-dead-neighbors-in-san-diego-plus-my-brunch-/

That's a great article. I think "bum" the dog sounds like a cool dude.

Larry & I had a personal paranormal experience at Ft. Roscrans.  I wish I had brought a recorder.
Admiral Morrison (Jim's dad) is buried there as well.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Tracy

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on March 17, 2011, 08:36:37 PM

Larry & I had a personal paranormal experience at Ft. Roscrans.  I wish I had brought a recorder.

Wow Deb.  That is where my father is buried.  There is such an energy about that place.  You look across the vast landscape of headstones and you can almost hear conversation and see movement all around.  I would love to hear about the experience you had there. (if you ever wish to share)   :)

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on March 18, 2011, 10:49:47 AM
Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on March 17, 2011, 08:36:37 PM

Wow Deb.  That is where my father is buried.  There is such an energy about that place.  You look across the vast landscape of headstones and you can almost hear conversation and see movement all around.  I would love to hear about the experience you had there. (if you ever wish to share)   :)

Sorry it took so long to respond...
Larry's father (Laurence Herbert Page Sr., Master Chief Petty Officer, decorated (bronze star), died in Sept. 2009. His ashes were interred at Ft. Rosecrans  that same month. It was the first day of a heatwave, but there was a strong wind. Larry and I were walking towards the north-west side, waiting for everyone to arrive. Suddenly there was an overwhelmingly strong aroma of fresh roses. 

Larry said 'Do you smell that?" I said yes, as we looked around for the source. It was so strong that I thought we were beside a rose bush or fresh cut roses.. There were no roses in sight, none on the graves. None. The scent stayed. Suddenly I saw a row of soldiers walking in formation towards me. I was really startled to see the first few were in civil war uniforms. Then I realized these were dead soldiers. There were uniforms & guns from all the different wars throughout American history. There were at least thirty soldiers.

I said "You don't have to stay here. You can go on, into the bright light." The first solder, in a Union uniform, shook his head slowly while saying:  "No, Ma'am. This is our job." Then they faded as they passed to the left of me, but the lingering strong scent of roses remained. I told Larry what I saw. He didn't see them, he only smelled the roses.
All the newly dead are welcomed in this way.

After this happened I was upset that I had "imagined" civil war soldiers at Ft. Rosecrans. I thought it didn't make sense. I did some research and discovered that it is named for a union solider : William Starke Rosecrans, a Union general in the American Civil War.

Larry & I will have our ashes interred there as well. If the cemetery should become filled, we will be placed at the new facility being built in Miramar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Rosecrans_National_Cemetery
http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/ftrosecrans.asp
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Tracy

Thank you for sharing this, Deb.  That is amazing.  It must be frustrating to see something of that magnitude and the person who is right next to you (and that you love, I might add   :)  ), cannot see it at all.  I can not imagine what it would be like to witness something like that.  I would think it would be life changing. 

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on March 21, 2011, 01:53:19 PM
Thank you for sharing this, Deb.  That is amazing.  It must be frustrating to see something of that magnitude and the person who is right next to you (and that you love, I might add   :)  ), cannot see it at all.  I can not imagine what it would be like to witness something like that.  I would think it would be life changing. 

Larry has no problem believing me.

No matter how many times things like this happen, it's always a surprise to me. I never expect it or get used to it.
But it certainly has helped me question things like perception, and how our brain collates information, including unseen or unconscious information.
Perhaps, in this case, my subconscious picked up all this data and which created a strong mental picture using that data?

That doesn't explain the roses, which both of us tried to find the source of.

PPI Tracy

I know that Larry supports you 100% and I know he believes you.  You are so blessed to have each other. 

I can't see how (no pun intended) you or anyone could ever get used to it.  It's like someone sneaking up behind you.  It startles you every time.  I believe what you are saying with the "subconscious."  I wonder if that is what happens when you "feel" something, vs. actually "seeing" it.  I don't see things, per say, but more of feeling a tangible change in my surroundings.  It's weird. 

I was at my studio on Saturday night, taking photos of my paintings for my website.  Taylor was there and she fell asleep in the chair for a good hour and a half.  I felt fine, everything was going great. I was getting down to my last few paintings (around 9:45) to take shots of and then I was going to head out.  I went over to one side of my studio to get another piece and all of a sudden, it hit me like a brick. I mean it was "bam", that quick.  I felt as though someone was right there next to me.  I actually jumped.  I thought someone had walked into the room.  Needless to say, the feeling stayed that way for the remainder of the night....which wasn't long because I got my last few photos done and got the hell out of dodge.  I've really only had that feeling one other time there and that is it.  But it is a distinct change, that is for sure.  Does that happen for you right before or as you are witnessing something like you did at F.R.?

PPI Brian

That's an incredible moving experience, Debra. Intriguing how the experience was accompanied by the strong scent of roses.

PPI Tracy

Debra, I meant to ask you if you had ever experienced the smell of roses, perfume or anything else like that, when you have had this type of thing happen.

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on March 21, 2011, 02:30:21 PM
Debra, I meant to ask you if you had ever experienced the smell of roses, perfume or anything else like that, when you have had this type of thing happen.

There was a rose scented cream (no longer made) my grandmother used to wear that manifests when I dream about her. It will be lingering in the room after I wake up.

There has also been the occasional scent of particular incense (from Nepal) when thinking  of Lama. Or I will smell the scent and be reminded of him.

Other than, those instances, no scents in particular, before an encounter.

Tracy, I know what you mean about feeling someone there. I have had that happen before. Very unnerving.