News:

Thinking of inviting PPI to your home or business? Visit "Client Resources" on our main website for helpful articles and guidelines, or click "Request Help" to contact us about setting up an investigation.

Main Menu

The Waking Nightmare of Sleep Paralysis

Started by PPI Brian, October 07, 2009, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Chris French, a professor of psychology at Goldsmiths where he heads the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit, dismisses any paranormal interpretation of people's sleep paralysis experiences. "Throughout these REM periods the muscles of the body are paralysed, presumably to prevent the dreamer from acting out the dream," explains Chris French. "During sleep paralysis episodes, however, something goes awry with the normal process and the individual becomes aware of the fact that they cannot move. This can be scary enough, but in a minority of cases, such as those described above, this curious mix of normal wakeful consciousness and dream consciousness can result in bizarre and often terrifying hallucinations." That's the standard line. A forthcoming work to be published by Anomalist Books, Dark Intrusions by Louis Proud, will present a far more radical interpretation of sleep paralysis episodes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/oct/02/sleep-paralysis
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

ljiljanac

I remember having a decent dream...nothing too special....and trying to move in the dream but not being able to.  In my dream, my focus went from what was going on in the dream to almost a funny game of trying to get my body to move or shift, which would not.  I remember smiling and having fun with it.  It wasn't a nightmare, and was definitely a dream because I was sleeping at night, and it was broad daylight in my dream....and of course I woke up.   :)    You know, strange things have happened to me.  I think I might be weird.    ::|

PPI Debra

I have had these experiences all my life. I once had a brain scan, but they couldn't find any abnormalities. They didn't do a sleep study.

I have read Louis Proud's book. It does have interesting comparative data: for example he compares Whitley Streiber's grey alien visitations to the "hag" in folklore. Proud leans toward the idea that it's paranormal.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Tracy

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on January 06, 2010, 01:52:25 PM
I have had these experiences all my life. I once had a brain scan, but they couldn't find any abnormalities. They didn't do a sleep study.

I have read Louis Proud's book. It does have interesting comparative data: for example he compares Whitley Streiber's grey alien visitations to the "hag" in folklore. Proud leans toward the idea that it's paranormal.

Interesting, because I am just finishing up the Hawes/Wilson book, "Seeking Spirits" and I just read the chapter about a case involving the "grey alien".  They got it on film as well.  I thought it was a pretty strange. I had never heard of anything like it before.  I may read up on it.

PPI Debra

I have been a field researcher in the UFO area, feel free to ask any questions.... I was even at the Soviet Embassy (by invitation) in San Francisco, when their space program announced that they had proof of contact in 1992.
What I found ironic in the "Seeking Spirits" case is that UFO researchers would give anything to capture what Jason and Grant caught on film!
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Tracy

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on January 06, 2010, 06:55:57 PM
I have been a field researcher in the UFO area, feel free to ask any questions.... I was even at the Soviet Embassy (by invitation) in San Francisco, when their space program announced that they had proof of contact in 1992.
What I found ironic in the "Seeking Spirits" case is that UFO researchers would give anything to capture what Jason and Grant caught on film!

I don't know if that footage has ever been made public.  Of course I can understand why it wouldn't be, but it would be nothing short of amazing to see it.  Although you would have many who would say it was staged. 

What I wonder as well is now that this has been written in a book, the info of the "discovery" is out there.  Would be interesting to find out if Jason or Grant have been contacted by anyone with a very urgent "necessity" to see it.  Know-whatta-mean?

PPI Debra

ljiljanac

Debra....what's the most elaborate UFO hoax that you have come across? 

PPI Debra

I believe it would be the Alien Autopsy Film, which was supposedly taken in Roswell. It was even filmed using equipment & film from the 40's. It took years for it to be properly debunked. What gave it away was a telephone in the film. It was from the 60's. (Some still argue it has value.) It was first shown on FOX in 1995.

ljiljanac

I saw that video when it was shown on a documentary on T.V.  Even then, everyone was saying it was fake, but no one could prove it either way.  Do you know of any that are proven 100% genuine footage and proof of UFO's?

PPI Debra

There are films that are considered 100 % "Unidentified Flying Objects", in the sense that what is in the footage is unknown. (i.e.  the Soviet footage of their satellite Phobos 2 being destroyed by an object that is unidentified.) There is no evidence in existence that is considered 100% proof that there are beings from another planet.

It's very similar to paranormal research: what would be 100% proof of life after death?

PPI Debra

Sorry about splitting this into 2 posts...

I personally view things from a more "mystical" perspective, while still respecting the "nuts and bolts".  I believe that clues to the answers to these mysteries can be can be found in sociology, anthropology, mythology, etc..
For example, in shamanistic traditions all over the world, there is no problem with the idea of contact with beings from other realms, worlds or dimensions.

ljiljanac

That's must be pretty interesting!  I was never really into UFO's and pretty much assumed that, with the Universe as big as it is, there is no way we could possibly be and are alone.  Being able to actually talk to someone who knows a lot about and has experience in UFO investigation has peaked my interest.   :) 

PPI Jason

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on January 07, 2010, 08:17:32 PM
Sorry about splitting this into 2 posts...

I personally view things from a more "mystical" perspective, while still respecting the "nuts and bolts".  I believe that clues to the answers to these mysteries can be can be found in sociology, anthropology, mythology, etc..
For example, in shamanistic traditions all over the world, there is no problem with the idea of contact with beings from other realms, worlds or dimensions.

Neither does science. Here is a clip from Youtube that I think Miller posted earlier by Carl Sagan. I love this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Debra

ljiljanac

I'm watching a very interesting program on the History Channel.  It is about the Tunguska, Siberia blast in 1908 that was so significant that it caused cities like London to have weeks of daylit nights.  They describe a fireball entering the Earth's atmosphere and exploding over Siberia, causing a superheated shockwave to spread hundreds and hundreds of miles, destroying everything in its path for approximately 1000 square miles. 

One theory is that it was an extraterrestrial shit coming to earth, seeking what the aliens may have believed to be the largest body of fresh water on Earth.  The theory is that, along with the meteor theory, an extraterrestrial ship may have malfunctioned somehow and exploded in flight, approximately 5 miles above the surface of the Earth.  They support this theory by radiation levels detected at the site and surrounding areas, as well as the lack of meteor matter at the site.  Other theories are that it was a comet or "killer" asteroid.  I believe the concensus is that it was in fact a comet.  In any case, I always find it interesting how UFO's find their way into every planetary mystery.     

Gary

Quote from: ljiljanac on January 08, 2010, 02:39:12 AM
One theory is that it was an extraterrestrial shit coming to earth, seeking what the aliens may have believed to be the largest body of fresh water on Earth.       

Their plumbing must have been all backed up on their home planet then!   ;D   Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Gary on January 08, 2010, 09:28:02 AM
Quote from: ljiljanac on January 08, 2010, 02:39:12 AM
One theory is that it was an extraterrestrial shit coming to earth, seeking what the aliens may have believed to be the largest body of fresh water on Earth.       

Their plumbing must have been all backed up on their home planet then!   ;D   Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You got to it before I did, Gary.  ;D  (Sorry, Lilly.  We have a penchant for crappy jokes around here. ;))

I read a science article a couple of years ago that chronicles the discovery of what they think is the possible crater from the Tunguska event, under a small body of water.  It contradicts the conventional assumption that the explosion was a completely aerial event:  http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070626_st_tunguska_crater.html.  Interestin'.  Here's one of the original newsreels about the event: http://www.space.com/common/media/video/player.php?videoRef=071218-Tunguska2
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on January 07, 2010, 07:35:00 PM
I believe it would be the Alien Autopsy Film, which was supposedly taken in Roswell.

Huh?  That was fake?    :P

ljiljanac

Karl....(Wow...I've been holding back on my crappy jokes!   :D   Love it!)

You know, right after I posted my comment, they introduced the crater findings.  Thank you for the link, though.  The beer buzz hit, and I missed what they said about it.    ;D

PPI Debra

Sleep Paralysis Visions: Demons, Succubi, and the Archetypal Mind
over at Reality Sandwich: http://www.realitysandwich.com/sleep_paralysis

Damian

Debra, the gnome they mentioned in the article, is that what your gnome experiences were like?  Any parallels there, or are your experiences completely different?

This is fascinating to me because I'm exposed to both sides of the arguement.  My wife is studying psychology and therapy techniques and it's a sharp contrast to the open-mindedness and lack of rigidity in our thoughts and discussions that I get with you guys.
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Damian on April 29, 2010, 03:45:41 PM
Debra, the gnome they mentioned in the article, is that what your gnome experiences were like?  Any parallels there, or are your experiences completely different?

This is fascinating to me because I'm exposed to both sides of the arguement.  My wife is studying psychology and therapy techniques and it's a sharp contrast to the open-mindedness and lack of rigidity in our thoughts and discussions that I get with you guys.

Great catch, Damian!

"In German, the word for nightmare, ?Albtraum? still translates to ?elf dream.?  Sleep paralysis entities seem to consist more of the ?earth fairies,? such as trolls, dwarves, and wood nymphs, as opposed to the more delicate winged fairies and water nixies. " (quote from article)

I didn't know about the German word meaning elf dream. (I am of German descent, among other nationalities.)
For me they did sometimes accompany sleep paralysis. They never said horrible things, or sat on my chest. They just stared at me, very seriously. I didn't feel they were evil, but they were un- nerving.

Damian

I wish I could do a Vulcan Mind-Meld with you so I could see and experience the gnomes.

PS: Sorry for the Star Trek reference.   :-[
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Damian on April 29, 2010, 04:03:31 PM
I wish I could do a Vulcan Mind-Meld with you so I could see and experience the gnomes.

PS: Sorry for the Star Trek reference.   :-[
Believe it or not, I have often wished for the same ability. Star Trek is cool with me!

lunette

This may be a dead thread, but I was so excited to find it I had to try here. I've had this expereince several times, it's always been awful and disturbing for me. Frequently it involves dreaming that I'm asleep and dreaming, trying to wake up and get out of bed. It's like a double dream. In the dream I'm trying to wake up, and think I have gotten up some, moved the covers off and crawled toward the door, then I wake up (still in my original dream) and realize I'm still in bed. Then I try again, it's really awful, like I said.  I have had an EEG years ago, and they said I stayed in REM sleep longer than most, but don't know that that information is relevant to this. 
I'm being followed by a moonshadow.

PPI Brian

Hi Lunette,

There are no "dead threads" around here. Feel free to resurrect any topics you find here. They always benefit from a new member taking the time to dust them off and hold them up to the light for further scrutiny.  ;D

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Sleep and dreams are endlessly fascinating, aren't they? Many of us here at PPI have experienced Sleep Paralysis (aka the Hag Effect) and Lucid Dreams, both of which almost always feature a "false awakening" aspect. Lucid dreams in particular can be extremely disturbing but they can also be liberating and relaxing. Some people learn to cultivate that particular form of dreaming, and when they become aware of the fact they are dreaming they learned to take some measure of control of their dream. Some people enjoy flying in their dreams -- I always have to swim through the air for some strange reason - others learn to stop recurring nightmares and alleviating phobias.

Here's a link you might find interesting:   http://dreamstudies.org/start-here/
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

lunette

Quote from: PPI Brian on November 08, 2011, 01:52:14 PM
Hi Lunette,

There are no "dead threads" around here. Feel free to resurrect any topics you find here. They always benefit from a new member taking the time to dust them off and hold them up to the light for further scrutiny.  ;D

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Sleep and dreams are endlessly fascinating, aren't they? Many of us here at PPI have experienced Sleep Paralysis (aka the Hag Effect) and Lucid Dreams, both of which almost always feature a "false awakening" aspect. Lucid dreams in particular can be extremely disturbing but they can also be liberating and relaxing. Some people learn to cultivate that particular form of dreaming, and when they become aware of the fact they are dreaming they learned to take some measure of control of their dream. Some people enjoy flying in their dreams -- I always have to swim through the air for some strange reason - others learn to stop recurring nightmares and alleviating phobias.

Here's a link you might find interesting:   http://dreamstudies.org/start-here/
\
Thanks, Brian, I'll take a look~

I'm being followed by a moonshadow.