News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Need a Lil' help here...

Started by ttjoon, January 30, 2008, 01:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttjoon

Okay.  Need some advice.

Today, I am armed with a little extra time after work and a 40% coupon for Borders.  (swwweet!)
With the gazillion amount of books out there to be had, what would you oh so knowledgeable folks recommend as the best reading for a Newbie?  (and don't say, "The Idiot's Guide to Ghost Hunting")   :-[

Well....maybe I should just check to see if that shoe still fits.  Hmmm.....Yep.  It does.  Damn.  I hate it when that happens.   :-\

Annnyyywaaayyy...if ya have any tips on the best periodicals,....just lemmee noooo.  Thanx!

TAPS Jen

Hi Tracy -
I really like Shadows of the Dark by John Zaffis. FYI - He's a demonologist so if you aren't ready to read about non human entites (not that the book is scary or will give you nightmares or anything - just letting you know because some people just don't want to read about that sort of thing) you may want to wait until you have an interest in learning about the subject. 

A book I'm reading right now is called Ghost Tracks by Cheryl Wicks w/ Ed and Lorraine Warren. Yes, the Warrens are demonologists, but I'm halfway through the book and have yet to come across a case study that involved an inhuman entity. There are some decent case studies w/ some different investigative techniques used.  So far so good.

I hope you find something you like!
"Well behaved women rarely make history."

ttjoon

Thanks, Jen.  I had thought about reading John Zaffis. Let me know your take on the book when you are all finished w/ it.

I think I am going to look for the Ghost Tracks book tonight though. Thanks so much for your reply.  I appreciate it! :)

TAPS Jen

As most of the PPI members can tell you - I adore John Zaffis. All bias aside, I really enjoyed his book and would highly recommend it. I read the book way before I ever met him in person and receommended it back then as well. I think it needs to be special ordered. They won't carry it in B&N or Borders.

ttjoon

I would like to read John Zaffis.  As you thought, it has to be special ordered.  I went in looking for anything by Hans Holzer.  They swore they couldn't find anything in their computers.  A little man in a Borders shirt, with two sets of glasses on his head, a pen around his neck, with a pocket protector holding yet another pair of glasses and two more pens said, "Nope.  Sorry.  We don't carry that author". Well, a little searching and there he was.  Tons of books on the shelf.  I wound up getting, "Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond".  The thing is as large as War and Peace and it just might take me the same amount of time to read it, but it is full of so many of his experiences.  Looks llike it should be good reading. (I'll let you know what I thought about it...when I'm done in 3 years!).  Kidding....it should only take me two.   ;D

TAPS Jen

I have that Holzer book! I've been reading it a few case studies at a time. You can borrow my Zaffis book if you'd like.

ttjoon

Right on, sista!  Thank you.  From everything I have heard and read, John Zaffis is highly regarded in the field of Paranormal Studies. Where did you have the pleasure of meeting him?   I'll admit, demons and demonology don't make me too comfortable.  I guess I am still suffering the effects of what Linda Blair did to my little mind at age 12.  That image is burned into my brain.  Actually, I think we as humans (not all but some) are afraid of what we don't understand.  There are spirits/ghosts that don't mean any harm and then there are others that can have quite the attitude. Demons on the other hand.....I have never heard of "Bob the friendly Demon", ya know? Ah..but I digress... :-\

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Tracy on January 31, 2008, 10:48:02 AM
I would like to read John Zaffis.  As you thought, it has to be special ordered.  I went in looking for anything by Hans Holzer.  They swore they couldn't find anything in their computers.  A little man in a Borders shirt, with two sets of glasses on his head, a pen around his neck, with a pocket protector holding yet another pair of glasses and two more pens said, "Nope.  Sorry.  We don't carry that author". Well, a little searching and there he was.  Tons of books on the shelf.  I wound up getting, "Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond".  The thing is as large as War and Peace and it just might take me the same amount of time to read it, but it is full of so many of his experiences.  Looks llike it should be good reading. (I'll let you know what I thought about it...when I'm done in 3 years!).  Kidding....it should only take me two.   ;D

I just bought that book at the Whaley House museum gift shop last weekend! Had a similar experience with the kid behind the counter. Went kind of like this:

"Got the new Hans Holzer book?" I said.
"Who's Hans Holzer?"
"You know, Hans Holzer, the paranormal investigator. He's one of the most famous paranormal investigators of all time."
"No, I've never heard of him. We don't carry any books by him."
He calls out to another worker in the back of the store. "Hey, do we carry any books by Hans Holzer?"
From the back room: "Who's Hans Holzer?"
I turn around and on the book shelf not four feet away and FACING the kid behind the counter are 20 copies of this book.
"Here it is." I said.
"Oh, you meant the GHOST book. You should have asked if we had the GHOST book."

;D
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

ttjoon

It should have gone like this:

Brian: Hi...Do you have any books by Hans Holzer?
Dude #1:  ahhh......ahhhh....nope, we don't have any books by Mr. Hand
Brian: No, his name is Hans Holzer?
Dude#1: Holster?  '
Brian: No....HOLZER
Dude #1: oh..Don?t talk so loud...it hurts my head
Dude#1: Sorry, man.  I'm having trouble seeing you in my smoke induced haze.
Dude#1 to Dude #2: HEY....DUDE...Do we have any books by Hands Holster?

Dude#2: Don't talk too loud man...it hurts my head.  Do you mean Mr. Hand?
Dude #1: No man....Mr. Holster.
Brian: Grabs the book and walks out with it.
Dude #1: Nice customer.  Friendly. He even tipped me.  Hope he comes back.  Maybe we can find those two guys that write books for him next time. Ahh, what do you call those people?
Dude #2: Arthurs?
Dude #1: Yeah Dude!  That's it...Arthurs. 
Dude #2: Don't talk so loud...hurts my head
Dude#1: Sorry dude
Dude#2: Oh, you mean Mr. Hand and Mr. Holster? Those two Arthurs?
Dude #1: Yeah, man. Those two.  
Dude#2: Hey...I've got the munchies....let's order 5 pizzas.
Dude #1: Cool man.  Me too.  We can use the tip money that guy gave me to pay for it too.
Dude #2: Righteous, bro.  Totally righteous.

PPI Brian

LOL! You must have been there. I thought I saw you rolling on the floor laughing hysterically in the corner of the store.  ;D

ttjoon

Yeah.  That's me....I'm omnipresent.   ;)

Actually, it was Dude #1's brain rolling around the corner......

rollin, rollin, rollin....gee my....

nevermind

PPI Brian

On December 16, 2007 Hans Holzer was interviewed on Darkness Radio. Here's the link:

http://www.darknessradio.com/listen

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Jen on January 30, 2008, 08:11:33 PM
As most of the PPI members can tell you - I adore John Zaffis. All bias aside, I really enjoyed his book and would highly recommend it. I read the book way before I ever met him in person and receommended it back then as well. I think it needs to be special ordered. They won't carry it in B&N or Borders.

Hey Jen, I heard a rumor that you kind of like John Zaffis.  :) Have you listened to any of his interviews on Darkness Radio? Here's a link to their archive: http://www.darknessradio.com/listen