News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Another question...

Started by uneek, October 05, 2007, 04:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uneek

I can't say I've ever seen a ghost or something I can't explain.

My question is how did you control the fight or flight instinct when confronted by a ghost or something paranormal? I would like to think that it's so real that you just deal with it. But, logically I think your brain would be telling you to run for it. Since, fight isn't really an option when dealing with a ghost or something paranormal.

PPI Karl

Well, I can't speak for others (I imagine it's different for everyone), but for me it's a combination of factors that keep me walking calmly toward paranormal phenomena instead of running away from them.  (Ah, who can ever forget the shame of "Dude, run!")  For starters, sheer stubbornness gives me my nerve:  I was that nerdy five-year-old pipsqueak in coke-bottle glasses who refused to back down from a bully simply out of principle; in fact, I always managed to talk him down in front of his friends, with the power of reason and diplomacy.  I think that's a matter of in-born temperament, and not something I taught myself.  The same is true of "ghost hunting" for me:  I want to know the truth a lot more than I want to run from it, especially when there isn't any real threat but the unknown.  Frankly, some intruder hiding in the shadows brandishing a machete scares me more than an incorporeal being or some other paranormal phenomena glimmering in the darkness.  Anything that can happen with a so-called ghost pales in comparison to the myriad dangers that exist in the real world.  So, why sweat it, right?

One thing I have noticed, however, is that a majority of ghost hunters have at least major phobia other than ghosts.  For me, it's heights.  (Fortunately, my days of climbing heights are long over, but you won't catch me lurking about the observation deck of a skyscraper any time soon.  :-X)  It might be part of the pathology of being a paranormal investigator to "channel" one's general fears into one or two focused phobias.  Just a theory, anyway.

I don't know if that answers your question, but it at least explains my part in the phenomenon.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

I agree with you Karl, and as always, you said it much better than I!  ;D

Although I have been startled ( :o ) I have never run from anything and I'm too old to start now! 
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

dwalters

COMETS....comets scare the living @#$# out of me. Ghosts? No...not really. Hardly at all actually. What IS always in the back of my mind is objects that can move or be moved by an unseen force, knives, bricks, rocks....anything that can hurt really. That sort of stays in the back of my mind. If I am lucky enough to actually see an object move, it normally just moves a few inches or so...although a paper clip did get thrown at us at one investigation...didn't hurt at all :)

I have had the most unfortunate episode with an elemental (I believe) when I was young, and it was not pleasant by any means...in fact, it down right attacked me. RARE AS HELL though, and it only comes back into my mind during investigations when the claims are similar to those of which I went through, and my family went through...it certainly does NOT keep me from going in and trying to document it's presence though. I will never pull a "dude run" unless I see a knife flying through the air.

Hollywood did a number on the general public, and now "ghosts" are generalized as evil entities that want to kill kill KILL...the truth is so far from that. There is NOTHING to be frightened of. If I want a good scare, I go to a Haunted Halloween Maze...those are GREAT!

or i just look up comets that have a trajectory lined up straight for earth.

Denele

I agree with what Karl had to say. My personal outlook is that a lot of people fear what they can't see, or feel. How can you fight something that you have no idea about? Does that make any sense? I know that educating yourself is always the best defense. Most "entities" or paranormal experiences are not negative. An attack on someone is rare, but unfortunately it does happen. BUT, I would say from everything I have read, and researched, the only thing to fear is the unknown. I don't think anyone knows what they would do until the situation presents itself. If you look at paranormal footage, photos, or listen to EVP's, and say.."I Would LOVE to see something like that!" Or, you get the chills, and leave the bathroom light on when you go to bed, I think you pretty much know where you stand..lol. Seriously though, I think there are ways to combat the fear, and the only way to truly know, is to go through the experience. I hope I didn't yapyapyap..and some of this actually helped! 8)

~~Denele

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Dave on October 05, 2007, 11:36:43 PM
COMETS....comets scare the living @#$# out of me.

And just announced, Dave, for all your living @#$# needs . . .
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/071005-asteroid-found.html

• QuotePotentially Threatening Space Rock Rediscovered
    By SPACE.com Staff
    posted: 05 October 2007
    10:18 am ET

A recently discovered space rock that could one day threaten Earth turns out to be an object found seen more than four decades ago but lost in space ever since.  The object, thought to be a burned out comet that now resembles an asteroid, was catalogued as 2007 RR9 this year when found. When it was last seen, in 1960, it carried the designation 6344 P-L. It's considered a "potentially hazardous asteroid" because part of its orbit is near the path our planet takes around the sun.

2007 RR9 is one of 886 (not 887) known asteroids bigger than 500 feet (150 meters) that pass within 4.6 million miles (7.5 million kilometers) of Earth. Astronomers did not give an exact diameter for this one. The object poses no specific threat to the planet any time in the foreseeable future. Over time, however, the orbit of a space rock will shift and could cause it to hit the planet.  "The object was long recognized to be dangerous, but we didn't know where it was," said SETI Institute astronomer Peter Jenniskens. "Now it is no longer just out there."  2007 RR9 goes around the sun once every 4.7 years in an elongated orbit that carries it nearly to Jupiter. Technically, it is now called a Jupiter Family Comet.  "This is a now-dormant comet nucleus, a fragment of a bigger object that, after breaking up in the not-so-distant past," Jenniskens said.

The rock is too dim to be seen by the naked eye from Earth.

If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

I absolutely love comets. When Hyakutake (aka The Great Comet of 1996) passed by I spent every clear night outside admiring the its beauty. It was freaking spectactular, and it was one of the closest cometary approaches in the last 200 years.

When Hale-Bopp passed by (aka the Great Comet of 1997) I was transfixed by its beauty and spent every clear night just staring at it. Sadly, all of my photos of these two visitors turned out to be crap. I have since improved my astrophotography techniques, and can't wait for the next great comet to pass by. Events such as these are very rare, and meant to be savored. Think about it... two great comets in two years. Amazing!  ;D I am also fascinated by planetary transits, Lunar eclipses and Solar eclipses.

I admit that the thought of our planet being hit by one is frightening. Ever read the book "Lucifer's Hammer"? An awesome depiction of the devastation that would result from an earth impact of a comet that fragmented like comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 that impacted Jupiter in 1994. It's happened before, and it will happen again (just take a look at the moon on a clear night), but these events are exceedingly rare and will probably never happen in our lifetime.

PPI Glenn

Ya, Brian... been around any horses lately??  ;D

Quote from: PPI Brian M on October 05, 2007, 09:08:12 PM

Although I have been startled ( :o ) I have never run from anything and I'm too old to start now! 
Glenn Pitcher
Founder, Pacific Paranormal Investigations
R.I.P. (1963-2009)

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Glenn on October 08, 2007, 02:19:36 PM
Ya, Brian... been around any horses lately??  ;D

Quote from: PPI Brian M on October 05, 2007, 09:08:12 PM

I'm glad you picked up on that rather obscure reference. Yes, the buggy-eyed emoticon  :o represents that horse that snorted and made me jump when we were investigating at the cemetery. But you are my witness... I did not pull a "dude run!"  ;D

dwalters

Those cats sure did a number on Britt :)

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Dave on October 08, 2007, 06:29:47 PM
Those cats sure did a number on Britt :)

LOL!  ;D

That was so funny! I think they were intentionally messing with him. At one point they galloped right over his feet!

PPI Karl

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Karl on October 21, 2007, 02:30:25 PM
I found another heart-stopping story for Dave:

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/071018-seti-lostasteroid-1.html

(Hint:  Don't look up.)

And yet another heart stopping story for Dave:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2007-152

Right now asteroid 2007 WD5 has a potential of 1 in 28 to impact Mars. If it does, it will hit the planet with the power of a 3 megaton nuclear bomb, and plow a crater about a half a mile wide. This is about the size of the object that exploded over Siberia in 1908.

Here's a link showing the possible location of the asteroid on January 30, 2008: This artist rendering uses an arrow to show the predicted path of the asteroid, and the orange swath indicates the area it is expected to pass through. Mars may or may not be in its path.  http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/mars/asteroid/asteroid-browse.jpg

Yep. Don't look up. The solar system is a pretty scary place. ;D

Donna

You all are SOOOOO wrong! Quit messing with poor 'ol Dave!

Hey, Brian, you and my husband (Brian also) will get along very well! He loves astronomy too. Someday he'd like to own that super-mega expensive telescope by Mead that connects to the computer. Someday when we hit the lottery that we don't play, maybe.

I agree with Karl too, especially the phobia thing! It kills me everytime I watch Ghost Hunters and see Steve's phobias surface. I have to wonder if it's (again) a cop thing as I am also afraid of heights, spiders, and flying. I used to despise being on the third tier counting inmates.
"Cake or death!" -Eddie Izzard, Action Transvestite

PPI Brian

Hi Donna,

Let the poor man have his telescope. Life is short, you know. You don't want to pick up an EVP in your house that says: "I wish I bought that telescope", do you?  ;D Just kidding. Meade has some excellent scopes that won't break the bank and yes, they hook up to your computer. And they do a great job of CCD astroimaging. I have two ETX series scopes. They're computerized, ultra portable and easy to use, so you will be more likely to use them over the huge clunky reflectors or the SCs that requre their own observatory. (My dream is to have a dedicated observatory in my back yard some day... sigh...) But until then, my ETXs make me very happy. Here's a link about them:

http://www.meade.com/etx_premier/index.html

If you browse through this link you'll find two images of mine that Meade has posted to their image gallery:

http://www.meade.com/photogallery/etx_gallery.html

Regards,

Brian Miller

missbravo

i used to be freaked out, but always curious.
always questioning. since i was around 10 yrs old, ive
wanted to do something in this field. as a kid though,
i flipped at the tiniest of things.
ive only recently been running head on into this. but im
glad that i am, bc now ive found something that i am
always excited and happy to spend my time on.
:D
"Its you, you stupid cat. Your nose whistles." -Grant

MichaelF (FPIE)

I took an astronomy class in college, and I have to say it was one of my favorite classes ever.  The universe is a much cooler place then people realise.  Hey Dave, just remember this.....  it's not a matter of "if" a comet or asteroid is going to hit the planet, it's a matter of "when."   ;D  But back on the main topic.

I think the key to controlling your fear is first some belief in the paranormal and secondly some information.  People tend to fear the unknown, but after you have witnessed some events, it's not unknown anymore.  Pair this up with some knowledge of the paranormal and curiosity, and you will have more guts then most.  That being said, I do think that there are times that making a fast retreat is a good idea.  They are rare but there ARE some things that can hurt you.  I'm not ever advocating a "dude run" scenario, where you just get startled or surprised.  I'm saying that if you are face to face with something that is clearly dangerous and malicious that you are not equipped to handle.  Then again, I also advocate gonig back when you ARE prepared to handle it.

Fears?  It's lightning for me.  I have been struck 3 times, well the second was in my car, but still.  I'll be up front an honest with you, if were out investigating and the lightning starts falling, it's time for me to invesitgate inside.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

jp3white

There's a definate commitement to investigating.  The hours alone are frightening!
Working full-time, taking time off, driving to the location, equipment set up, planning
details & coverage, & investigating endlessly.     
By the way...heights fightening me. My screams are NOT pretty and no way resembles
a scream from the movies...more like one Marge Simpson's sisters, perhaps Velma!