News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Paranormal State

Started by PPI Brian, December 08, 2007, 02:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

A&E has launched a new paranormal investigation show called Paranormal State. It airs on December 10, 2007. Although they use a metaphysical approach, it looks interesting. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.aetv.com/paranormal-state/
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

TAPS Jen

Did anyone watch it? What are your thoughts?
"Well behaved women rarely make history."

bellalaghoste

Kristen

I haven't watched it but the media (read it in the newspaper) is sort of bashing it.  Of course they look for drama and excitement rather than what the actual show is trying to accomplish.  I think it might be good as long as it's not like Most Haunted.
Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be understood.  ~Marie Curie

PPI Brian

Here are links to the first episodes of Paranormal State courtesy of YouTube in case anyone missed the show:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0wyn3Wkg0
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEV7rmR0WMg
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDNqMg9ULgU

Here are links to the Demon House episode:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YR6rv6SqY
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHUYBd8qT2I
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkhzcdRPu_8

Enjoy,

Brian Miller

bellalaghoste

HOPING FOR MORE INVESTIGATION

Shellshock

I think its an overall  interesting show...I'll be watching when i can.
They definatly seem genuine in the goal of wanting to help the families, so thats good!
I was kind of blown away at how different their approach is O_o ,
but you know, its kinda cool to see things done in other ways.
Would've liked to see more attempts at debunking and use of equip. for readings around the homes though. =P
XoXo

leslie

I watched this last night and unfortunately it seemed to remind me slightly of "Most Haunted". I was a little disappointed.  Last week was much better. The little boy was very interesting.

The young members come from different backgrounds and/or different walks of religion, and thus far it seems they use their religious beliefs a lot throughout the investigations. I would like to see more evidence and possible debunking. I do like the way they show how they have helped the families though.

"Ghost Hunters" is much better! Any show about paranormal peeks my interest though, so I am happy to have another one to watch.

dwalters

last weeks was better....still not great....but at least it was "okay" last week. This one was just sorry.

PPI Karl

I watched a little of Ghost Adventures again this past week.  Definitely cut on the bias from the same cloth as Paranormal State and Most Haunted.  (Jeezh, these names!  What next?  Actively Spooked?)
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

dwalters

or how about "Paranormal Prostate"?

Donna

ROFLMAO, Dave!

I watch hoping it will turn out to be legit. Unfortunately, however, I feel it is going to turn out to be America's Most Haunted!
"Cake or death!" -Eddie Izzard, Action Transvestite

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Dave on December 19, 2007, 04:45:27 PM
or how about "Paranormal Prostate"?

LOL! That's amazing! I was thinking exacyty the same thing. Maybe you're... psychic?? ;D

Donna

OOOOO. . . EEEEEE. . . . . . OOOOOO. . . . . EEEEEEE. . . . OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! <My psychic music

PPI Karl

I'm to the point now with this program that, if I see the commercials for upcoming episodes, I just begin laughing.  I don't mean to be cruel, but in just two episodes I saw more Pennsylvania White Trash than I'd hope to see in a lifetime (or on Liftetime, for that matter).  And I'm not just talkin' 'bout their clients! 

I take this program as another lame attempt by Christian Conservatives to rekindle waning interest in the most outdated cultural attributes of the religion (i.e., fundamentalist Catholicism) by cultivating a fear of demonic forces at work in "ordinary lives."  Once again, the Discovery family of channels reduces the world, its science, and the very act of learning, itself, to a faith-based reality.  I have tremendous respect for anyone pursuing a spiritual path in their lives and actively searching for the higher good, but this sh*t's just plain ol' tiresome.

I'm struck by the fact that none of these investigators even entertain other possibilities; there's no voice of dissension whatsoever.  In fact, in one episode I watched the protagonist (I don't know what else to call him) send home other investigators as a way to trump up the importance of the what was otherwise a pretty banal set of circumstances, all because he didn't want his token females see the alpha male under possible attack.  Those of you who know me know how I feel about raging egomaniacs in the business of promoting paranormal folklore.  Those of you I've not been fortunate yet to get to know will soon figure me out:  I lose patience quickly with people who try to micromanage and manipulate your perspective on the truth (not unlike our current administration; hmmmm).   

Frankly, I've gotten more entertainment out of this thread than I have out of the program.  Thank you, my critical-thinking lovelies. ;D
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

TAPS Jen

Again, Karl - have I mentioned how much I adore you??
"Well behaved women rarely make history."

ttjoon

So just to add my 3 cents worth; I watched an episode last night about the "haunted bar".  (my TIVO continues to record even though I canceled the series) anyyyywayyy....Now, mind you, I am not a paranormal investigator and don't claim to know how to train or judge a person and their abilities as a paranormal investigator.  However.....I was nothing short of completley pissed off at this guy Ryan, who is the founder.  He had his two female "trainee investigators" (who later were promoted to "Jr. Investigators" by his greatness) (who knows where "Occult Girl" was..and who cares, right?), So he puts them through his form of the paces, videotapes them, takes back the investigation from them because it is too dangerous or whatever.  He acted like he was dissapointed in them and they didn't do it up to his standards and blah...blah...blah.  Constructive critisism is fine, but for this guy it was nothing but an ego boost. "I am in charge and you.....are not". The thing that bothers me the most is his arrogance.  How old is this guy....12?  He looks like it but acts like he has been doing this for 20 years and is an authority.  Totally pompous!  Sorry for dumpster diving.  I usuallly don't talk trash, but this guy is toooo much. >:(  Is it just me, or does he look like he was once a girl?

(did I just think that or did I say that out loud?)

-Tracy

PPI Karl

Quote from: ttjoon on January 17, 2008, 04:29:38 PMIs it just me, or does he look like he was once a girl? (did I just think that or did I say that out loud?)

Elizabeth McGovern, to be exact. :D

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't said one criticism about the show that isn't completely and totally on point and justified.

ttjoon

Elizabeth McGovern?  Holy Crap, Karl....You're RIGHT!!  EEEWWWW!   Now THAT is creepy. 

Donna

Gotta say, Karl, I think you nailed this one! I do see a resemblance and that is WAY OUT! -Yikes!!!

bellalaghoste

did you see the one when they investigated shannon's apartment?  Shannon from ghi...