News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Entopic Phenomenon

Started by PPI Brian, June 05, 2015, 03:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Found this video during some research on visual anomalies. 

https://www.youtube.com/v/Y6e_m9iq-4Q
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Jason

This is a great video. I saw it on Facebook a while back. I have experienced almost all the phenomenon they described. I always knew they were something normal, but I never really bothered to figure out what they were. I love the way the video makes it very simple and easy to understand.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Brian

I'm nearsighted, so I am probably more aware of floaters than most people. I think visual anomalies such as floaters are something that should be discussed critically in our field. So many paranormal "investigators" on "Reality Television" get all excited about low light perceptions that aren't paranormal at all -- shadows at the end of dark hallways that move suddenly, LED lights on equipment that seem to dance at in the distance, weird swirls of "smoke" in dark rooms -- these perceptions have all been described by US Military Flight Surgeons, but amazingly they aren't discussed in the paranormal field. 

PPI Brian

More on floaters and flashes.

https://www.youtube.com/v/76CXwTqqkEk

PPI Marlene

I have floaters too.   Annoying!!   :)

PPI Karl

Great vid.  Very interesting.  I'd love for us to do a mini-lesson video on how conditions of the eye can create paranormal-like phenomena. 

In addition to floaters, I've had laser surgery for retinal tears in both of my eyes, and the scar tissue captures flashes that I have to be mindful of when I'm in a dark space.  Additionally, I've "suffered" from ocular (or optical) migraines (they're not actually painful) for almost ten years now, and until I understood what they were, I truly, genuinely believed them to be some sort of paranormal phenomenon at first.  I think that when people don't have any frame of reference to interpret these otherwise subjective experiences happening within their eyes, their go-to response (coupled with the primate brain's subconscious tendency to scan continuously for predatory "danger") is to conclude, understandably, that something supernatural is happening to them.  It's probably why, over the years, most of the subjective claims we've taken from clients who "witnessed" apparitions and shadows never panned out in the objectively collected data.  It's all in their heads, but just not in the way that turn of phrase usually comes across.  (This could also be why they're reluctant to bring up these reports to their own opthalmalogists!)

Here's another interesting YouTube vid about ocular migraines you might find interesting: 
https://www.youtube.com/v/w2p1DBb7mw8

If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.