News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Ouija Boards

Started by ljiljanac, January 30, 2010, 10:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljiljanac

I am sooooo curious about Ouija Boards.  Growing up, Ouija Boards were as big of a taboo as getting 666 tattooed on your face.  If you ever wanted to see people running and screaming down the aisles, just bring out an Ouija Board.  Eventually, I bought one.  I bought one, tried it, and nothing happened.  Everyone I knew freaked out when they found out I had one, and someone eventually threw it out.  

Bookstores sell spellbooks and Satanic Bibles.  Toys R Us sold Ouija Boards.  Why is it that spellbooks or bibles become coffee table conversation pieces, but Ouija Boards strike terror in the hearts of men and are burned at the stake at first sight?  I mean, I believe there is a "Made in China" or "Made in Taiwan" or something to that effect stamped on it somewhere.  

I view an Ouija Board the same as a crystal ball, tarot cards, or a spellbook....a tool when I'm feeling "spooky" or as entertainment when I'm not.  Either way, I don't have the view that, by buying an Ouija Board, I am buying my own doorway to the evil spirit world.     {8I     Any thoughts?  

PPI Debra

Lillie,
In the annuls of paranormal literature, the Ouija board appears to be connected to more incidences of disturbing negative spirits than the other tools you mention.

There is a big difference between an oracle (tarot cards, crystal ball, runes, I Ching), and a tool to contact disembodied spirits (Ouija board, angel board). Consulting an oracle is a way of centering your self and talking to the "inner sage". This is an introverted process. The Ouija board is an extroverted process: you are asking for contact with entities outside of your psyche. This is the same as allowing yourself to be a medium, where spirits use your body. With an Ouija board they are borrowing your energy and using your arm. An oracle is simply tapping into your inner self. In Christian cultures, there is a big misunderstanding regarding the use of oracles, and they have been labeled as the same evil as the Ouija board. There are misguided people who use oracles , believing they are contacting spirits.

Psychologist Carl Jung studied oracles and found them to be statistically significant in regards to synchronicity : two or more things connected acausally (i.e. with no chain of action and consequences.) He found that observing synchronicity  enhanced one's ability to achieve their hidden innate potentials (individuation).

Speaking personally, I have collected/studied/used Tarot cards now for 36 years, with no trouble with spirits or entities. However, my brief used of a Ouija board as a teen did cause a problem that was solved by burning it. I have found similar stories among other people.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

ljiljanac

Hi Debra   :)    I can see what your saying about the differences between Ouija Boards and tarot cards, etc.  Makes sense.  I have never heard of Angel Boards.  What exactly are they?  My mom and many of the women in my culture growing up used to read cups and tarot cards.  I was learning at one time.  I see what your saying about introverted vs. extroverted.  That makes sense to me too.  I would be very interested in hearing about what happened with the Ouija Board, if it's something you'd be willing to share.  If not, I totally understand.    :)   

PPI Debra

Lillie PPI:
"I have never heard of Angel Boards.  What exactly are they? "

When the "new age" market exploded, people redesigned the Ouija board into "angel boards", "message boards", etc. I think they believed that inserting angel names would alter the darker side of using a board.  (Re-polarizing with words is a form of magical thinking.)

I've always thought that angels--whatever they are--- would be too busy doing whatever they were designed to do, and they wouldn't hanging out near message boards waiting to talk to us mortals! (Unless heaven has a new department: "Angels Designated to Talk to Humans Through Message Boards".)

As for my own experiences with a board, it's better told in person.  Upstate NY, were I was dropped on the planet and raised, has a rich history of spiritualism, seances, Ouija boards. Look into the history of the Mormon Church & Joseph Smith, or the woman's suffragette movement.
Any way, it didn't take long for an entity to show up and create a family drama that no one has forgotten!
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

ljiljanac

Wow, Debra...that's interesting! 

I always believed that everyone has a Guardian Angel, and that his or her angel is always there when called upon.  During some hard times in my life, I literally looked up at the sky, told God that I needed help, and asked God to please send me my Guardian Angel to help me.  I didn't know if there really was a God or if I really had a Guardian Angel.  It was the only thing I could think of to reach out for.  But as soon as I said this, a serious feeling of calmness, warmth, peace, and protection came over me every single time.  Years later, I still do this, and the feelings still come over me each and every time.  I truly do believe there is a God (in some form), and that I have a Guardian Angel that (as busy as he/she is) is there for me whenever I call.  I don't know if we all have just one or if one angel has many.  I just think it works out somehow.  I like believing this.    0:<

Going back to the Angel Board and Ouija Board....I could see demons and evil spirits waiting for a portal to be opened to enter our plane or to communicate with us.  I could see them literally stalking any avenue for contact.   I see an Angel Board as being quite different then.  I see it more of as a summoning tool that angels would answer, as opposed to waiting at the door.  I agree with you that angels would be way to busy to be waiting at any door for us to call.  I think they come to us from wherever they are when we ask for them. 

I can't wait to meet you and talk to you in person.    :)

PPI Debra

I have had experiences similar to yours when praying to the angels. I also believe in them.

I have studied, and done paintings about the mythos of the angels. Very fascinating!

Among the Tibetans (Nyingma) they have Dakinis, who are in some ways, like the angels, and fascinating as well.

On the National Public Radio website, there is a story about a rock group, Mars Volta, and what happened when they brought a Ouija board into the studio: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18513345
:o

ljiljanac

I read the article about Mars Volta....what a trip!

Angels have always been a part of my life and always will be.   0:<   I will look up Dakinis and read what they are about.

Thank you, Debra.    :)

PPI Debra

PPI Debra

Damian

Pink Hello Kitty alarm clock = GOOD

Pink Ouija Boards = BAD

What's next, Baby's First Exorcism kit with candy rosary?
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Tracy

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on February 04, 2010, 03:01:41 PM
In the news today:
a pink ouija board for tots: http://www.onenewsnow.com/Business/Default.aspx?id=879430

OMG.  I want to vomit right now.   >:[  

Being the mother of a 10 year old little girl, there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that I would bring this into my home or even DREAM of letting her have this.  She's too smart for that anyway.  

I had some seriously frightening experiences with this as a child that I will never forget.  These are not toys...I don't care what anyone says.

PPI Debra

Being the mother of a 10 year old little girl, there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that I would bring this into my home or even DREAM of letting her have this.  She's too smart for that anyway.  

I had some seriously frightening experiences with this as a child that I will never forget.  These are not toys...I don't care what anyone says.

[/quote]

Tracy,
I feel the same way you do. (My daughter is 24,now.) When I saw the news story, I was shocked, even horrified. It's so wrong!
I wonder if there will be an increase in reported paranormal phenomena after these are dumped the market...
sigh

Gary

Looks like I may have to make a trip to Toys R Us!  I want to debunk this little kids toy.  They might as well start selling knives and gun ammunition in the Barbie isle.  Geez.
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Tracy

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on February 04, 2010, 04:47:18 PM

Tracy,
I feel the same way you do. (My daughter is 24,now.) When I saw the news story, I was shocked, even horrified. It's so wrong!
I wonder if there will be an increase in reported paranormal phenomena after these are dumped the market...
sigh
[/quote]

Oh, there will be an increase alright.  An increase of traumatized children.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Gary on February 04, 2010, 05:00:15 PM
Looks like I may have to make a trip to Toys R Us!  I want to debunk this little kids toy.  They might as well start selling knives and gun ammunition in the Barbie isle.  Geez.

Debunk huh?  You ever used one before, Gary?  It's far from a "little kid's toy".  I wish it were that harmless. 

As far as selling those things in the Barbie aisle, have you not seen "Commando Barbie" and her side kick, "Kick Your Ass Ken"? 

Gary

Quote from: TAPS Tracy on February 04, 2010, 05:42:25 PM
Quote from: PPI Gary on February 04, 2010, 05:00:15 PM

Debunk huh?  You ever used one before, Gary?  It's far from a "little kid's toy".  I wish it were that harmless. 

As far as selling those things in the Barbie aisle, have you not seen "Commando Barbie" and her side kick, "Kick Your Ass Ken"? 

Hey Tracy, I have never used a Ouija Board... and I totally agree that it is NOT a toy, and shouldn't be messed with, especially by anyone younger than 18..... and maybe older!  I just have a hard time believing that a pink Ouija sold in a toy store would even work.  Does it say "Batteries Not Included"?   
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Debra

It probably says "made in China" where all the other poison comes from.

PPI Debra

curiouser and curiouser:
the pink board gives a percentage of profits to cancer research, like that would alter the negative karma.
???
NOT!

Gary

I checked out toysrus.com and hasbro.com who is the maker of the pink Ouija Board, or so the article says.  I wasn't able to find it on either website, so it's either been removed already, or something else. 

I found this one on both sites.
http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm?guid=8F00D4B0-6D40-1014-8BF0-9EFBF894F9D4&product_id=9470&src=endeca
Gary \m/

PPI Debra

ljiljanac

Remind me to paint all of my hollow-points pink so they don't look so lethal.

Gary

Quote from: PPI Lillie on February 04, 2010, 10:31:11 PM

NICE!!!   >:]
Gary \m/

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Lillie on February 04, 2010, 10:31:11 PM

OMG!!!  That is the BEST damn analogy I have EVER heard!  I love it!!!!

Gary

Okay, so dang!!!  I searched you tube to see what kinda home made movies had been put up of people using Ouija Boards.  I watched 2.  The first one, I'm not sure about, but it could have been convincing.  Not worth talking about.  The second one, well, was pretty disturbing.  A small group of teenage 15-16 years old.  They weren't using the typical looking board, it was different looking and they were using a glass.  With 3 other their hands on the glass, it was sliding all around the board quickly.  After a few seconds, one of the girls clearly becomes under control of something NOT good... I'm getting goose bumps just typing this, HA!  You can see her eyes almost rolling into the back of her head and her body stiffens up tremendously.  2 other girls start crying hysterically after the one girl starts bleeding from her mouth while 2 other girls are shaking her and trying to figure out whats wrong!!!  After about 30 seconds, she seems to have come back, and was crying.  Holy crap man, I don't know if this was fake, it seriously was good acting if not.  I have to say I was just waiting for a scary face and loud scream to pop up and scare me, but that was not needed!

With that said, here is the link.... WARNING: this IS disturbing.... real or fake!??! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh4uK3YHsNQ
Gary \m/

PPI Karl

If it's not an act, it's possible she started to suffer a small seizure during this ouija board session.  The whole thing about grabbing uncontrollably, eyes rolling back, and biting her tongue--all symptoms of seizure, the very phenomenon that used to be treated like demonic possession back in the day.

Will she go see her doctor to rule that out, though?  Nope.  Because the circumstances have probably solidified the idea in her head that she was possessed, and her friends being witnesses to the event will only reinforce that.  Anyway, that's my take. :)
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Jason

Ouija Boards. Lol.

I don't mind testing one out. If you like you can put me in a room by myself in the dark with a bunch of candles and play some scary music. You can even make me a helmet (you know, the kind where you can put two beers on each side and suck on them through a long rubber tube) and put candles in there instead. This thing is all psychology. That board scares me only just slightly more than Parchesi and slightly less then "Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot."

William Carpenter was supposedly one of the first to debunk it in the 19th century. He described the phenomenon as "Ideomotor Response."

Penn and Teller did an interesting demonstration of this on their show. Though I thought they were pretty disrespectful to people with spiritual beliefs (I don't for one second believe that people are idiots for believing in the power of Ouija Boards. I simply, and respectfully, disagree). But their video on Youtube does show a good demonstration of the "ideomotor action" that Carpenter described.

http://www.youtube.com/v/JA5uYhXpa-E&hl=en_US&fs=1&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA5uYhXpa-E&feature=related

I think it's important to note that some people consider what we do, during a typical investigative vigil, to be essentially the same thing as using a Ouija Board. Think about it. We sit in the dark trying to communicate with spirits. The last time I checked, none of us was ever possessed (though I did feel something evil inside me during that one vigil when I had two Monster energy drinks. And I peed green the next day.... ALL DAY).

This smart ass post sponsored by Monster Engergy Drinks, tm. The official energy drink of PPI.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

Gary

Hmmm. I agree about the seizures.  The only thing about that is, do people experiencing seizures usually have the ability to speak?  I have no experience with being around that, and she probably didn't go to the doctor.  I never got to see any seizures during my EMT experience, but I was taught about them, and how to control the situation if someone was to experience one. 

Okay, so she had a seizure.... I think I'm ready to try it out myself!
Gary \m/

PPI Tracy

You know, I have told this story before about my first and only experience with the Ouija Board.  I have thought and re-thought this a million times through and I simply cannot come up with another explanation of the events that ocurred when I used it.

When I was 12, I lived in Huntington Beach.  My friend Sandra who was the same age, brought her OB over to my house one Saturday, just to goof around with it.  We didn't think there was anything wrong with it.  No harm, right?  We sat at my kitchen table.  It was the middle of the afternoon.  My Mom was home and was doing stuff around the house here and there, stopping to look in on us now and then.  After a while, she heard us asking the board if whoever we were "talking to" believed in God.  That is when she walked into the room and leaned against the wall and just watched.  It had been moving around for us here and there and I think that deep down we thought that the other person had been moving the planchette.  Anyway, when we asked the question about God, it failed to move.  We asked again and as God as my witness, the planchette launched...yes, launched....across the dining room, point first and smashed into my mother's maple bookcase, thus putting a huge gash/dent into the side of it.  It then just fell to the floor.

Now I know I didn't do it and by the look on my friend's face, I know she didn't do it.  Even if one of us HAD done it, there would be no way that we could make this little piece of plastic fly 8 feet across the room with enough force to hit that book case, point first and put that much of a dent in the thing.  It would have been weighed down by the plastic circle in the middle. 

After that day is when paranormal things began happening in my life.  It started all in that house.  Two of my friends, my brother and myself actually witnessed a cross that was hung on the wall at the end of our hallway, turn upside down.  I saw it with my own eyes.  Those friends, Phillip and Robert, I actually just caught up with on Facebook.  We have been talking about that and many other things that happened in that house.  All I can say is that the OB opens doors that are best left shut. 

ljiljanac

Tracy, that's a trip!  I don't discount what people say about their own experiences, but it didn't work for me.  Maybe I was too much of a dork that the spirits/demons/whatever comes through on that thing for people didn't want to talk to me.  ha!  I have no explanation of how it was thrown that far across the room.  That's a mystery to me.  One of you would have had to make a VERY noticeable gesture, (i.e. picking it up and throwing it).     ::|

That video Jason posted brings up Near-Death Experiences, which I was trying to intelligently post on here.....wasn't working.  lol  When the brain is deprived of oxygen (via blood loss, internal bleeding, etc.) the body starts to compensate for it by shutting down fine motor skills that include sight, touch, hearing.  The vessels in the body (mainly at the extremities) start shunting blood to the core as the volume decreases.  What does this do to the person?  It sends them into a "shock" state.  During this process, a person's vision becomes "tunnel vision", hearing becomes less fine tuned and muffled, and their awareness of their bodies decreases.  As stated in the video, people hallucinate (i.e. coming out of their bodies, hovering over their bodies, looking down on their bodies, and seeing dead relatives/loved ones). 

Have you ever been either so scared or whatever that "your life flashed before your eyes"?  If so, that was your brain replaying visions that it already knows.  Relatives/loved ones are muscle-memory visions in the brain already.  The brain is not "seeing" who is around them during a near-death experience because the person is unconscious.  I don't know of one account of near-death where the person said they were fully awake and alert and either not injured or not experiencing a major medical problem (i.e. heart attack, major stroke). 

That takes me to the video posted by Gary.  Without further evidence, my take is that it was a seizure.  I would love to know what her medical history is and if she is or was taking any medications.  I also would love to know what her family history was.  There are seizures known as Grand Mal seizures where the entire body is involved in visible, uncontrollable shaking.  There are also seizures known as Petit Mal seizures where only parts of the body are involved to varying degrees.  During many Petit Mal seizures, a person can talk or control certain parts of their bodies.  Or you might see them just sitting there still, staring off into space, maybe twitching a little.  Or not.  I've had hundreds of seizure patients as an EMT.  The period immediately before a seizure is the "pre-ictal state" where a person sometimes zones out or feels it coming on. The period immediately after a seizure is the "post-ictal state" where the person is regaining their awareness or "coming out of it".  Many young people who are not used to or have never had a seizure cry like she did out of fear of what they just went through or frustration that it happened again.  Many people injure themselves in many different ways (i.e. biting something inside their mouths) during either type of seizure.  This appeared as a classic seizure, but who am I to say what it was.  Maybe yes, maybe no.   :)

Jason, I'll try it with ya!   

Damian

That sounds like a terrifying experience Tracy, especially during the pre-teen years.  Wow!

I'm on the fence about Ouiji Boards.  I can understand both sides of the topic.  And as I was thinking about the subject this morning a thought occured to me.

Yesterday, I was looking at the PPI page on Facebook and saw a video that Tim posted where James Randi is debunking some common "tricks" that psychics use to convince people of their power.  And as I was watching more related videos on YouTube I saw a test that James Randi set up on the old game show That's My Line.  The psychic was using his mental ability to turn the pages in a laid-open phonebook.  And James Randi said that the psychic feat was being accomplished by simply blowing on the pages, and to test that, he placed some light foam peanuts around the perimeter of the phonebook and all over the surface of the table.  The thought being that if the psychic was blowing on the pages then the peanuts would also be disturbed.  The psychic backed away from the experiment claiming that the peanuts were being heated under the studio lights which was causing static electricity which was making the pages of the phonebook stick together and therefore he could not turn the pages with his mind.

With the Ouiji Board subject, like Jason, my mind immediately went to Ideomotor Response (not Killer Bunnies, but remind me to ask about that).  And I started wondering why does the planchette rely on human touch in order for it to move?  Why couldn't the planchette move itself?  The situation reminded me of the James Randi test described above.  If the planchette is reliant on the energy that comes from human contact, why couldn't we supply a substitute source of energy to the planchette to see if it could move without human contact?

I guess what I'm saying is that Ouiji Boards are an area ripe for investigation and documentation.  And, although I'm not completely convinced one way or the other, I lean towards belief that a Ouiji Board can be a gateway, but not because of the shape of the planchette or the board layout or how it's manufactured or anything like that.  Really, during use, the board and the planchette become the sole points of focus of a tremendous amount of human energy in the form of anticipation, excitement, focus/concentration, fear, etc.  Perhaps that focused energy from multiple people is what provides the fuel for an entity to make itself known.
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum