News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Ghost at the White House?

Started by PPI Brian, December 13, 2011, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Hi Karl,

I found this article about the "ghost" in the White House reconstruction photo and thought you might be interested. It's worth reading the author's explanation for this anomaly.  :)

http://whofortedblog.com/2011/12/11/photographing-history-ghost-white-house/
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

adminsandiegohaunted

I encountered this photo while reading about the famous missing cornerstone from the White House about a year ago.

"Harry Truman went looking for it during the construction that led to the Truman Balcony. Barbara Bush supposedly also went looking for it when they celebrated the anniversary of the building. It still hasn't been found.

Some say the cornerstone was inscribed by our Founding Fathers -- others say that it was hollow and contained landmark documents of great, unimagined wisdom. Many believe it was stolen by the Masons themselves. Whatever the case, this is the very first piece of the White House that's missing -- and nobody's seen it -- or the brass plaque -- for more than 200 years.

The crazy part is, Harry Truman apparently came close. By then, technology had advanced, so White House architect Lorenzo Winslow called up the Army Engineers and had them bring in a mine detector. But just as they started hearing the buzz of the detector -- as they zeroed in on the location -- Truman, a thirty-third degree Mason (of course) called off the hunt." [A]
[A] http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brad-meltzer/the-ghost-in-the-white-ho_b_791002.html

Ken Summers explanation is probably very close to correct, though I believe the ghost is actually the guy with the hat and tie (standing with the group of men far left). He probably began walking from the center area as the timing of the exposure began to  start, and ended to the far left. The more remarkable story is the missing cornerstone. Some treasure seekers  believe Christian artifacts from Arthurian Legend (Holy Grail, shroud, or the blood of Christ), may be stowed inside the missing cornerstone.

Stories concerning the possible ghosts at the White House, have been written about over and over. Unless Potus is going to call in GH, most of us will be left speculating.

Thanks for the post!

PPI Brian

I remember reading many accounts of people seeing Lincoln's ghost at the White House, and others have reported seeing his funeral train traveling across the midwest. The Whaley House used to have a life mask of President Lincoln on display, but it disappeared when the house changed ownership after June Reading passed away. A little research into the funeral and burial of President Lincoln shows that his body was moved 17 times and his casket was opened at least 6 times. There are even stories of people attempting to steal the president's body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_and_burial_of_Abraham_Lincoln

http://www.history.com/topics/abraham-lincoln

Sariki

This is a very interesting topic actually. I was reading a Jeff Belanger's book called "Haunted Places" or something of that sort. And there are plenty of people who have claimed too see his ghost. I really wish they would allowing at least one televised paranormal investigation of the White House. I know that it won't probably ever happen but I think that it would be a really cool investigation to watch.

PPI Brian

That would be really cool. Hillary Rodham Clinton said: "There is something about the house at night that you just feel like you are summoning up the spirits of all the people who have lived there and worked there and walked through the halls there." On the ?Rosie O'Donnell Show,? the former first lady noted: "It's neat. It can be a little creepy. You know, they think there's a ghost there. It is a big old house, and when the lights are out it is dark and quiet and any movement at all catches your attention."

Here's a link about some of the paranormal activity at the White House:

http://www.haunted-places.com/WhiteHouseGhosts.htm

PPI Karl

Cool!  When I safely dock this sinking ship of final examinations (soon, very very soon), I'll write an actual response to this.  This is extremely cool, though, and I'll have to revise the Science & Beyond presentation to include this somewhow. 

Neat!  Thanks, Brian.     :)
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Karl on December 16, 2011, 02:18:41 PM
Cool!  When I safely dock this sinking ship of final examinations (soon, very very soon), I'll write an actual response to this.  This is extremely cool, though, and I'll have to revise the Science & Beyond presentation to include this somewhow.  

Neat!  Thanks, Brian.     :)

Looking at the pictures now I can see the tell-tale signs of light painting.

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/fet-ol.html

The following describes how the technique is used to light a scene:

C.   Lighting techniques
                   3.   Painting with light
              a.   The shutter is left open while the light source is moved around until all of the scene is properly illuminated
              b.   Procedure
                   (1)  Mount the camera on a sturdy tripod
                   (2)  Equip the camera with a lens shade (if available)
                   (3)  Screw a locking cable release into the camera shutter release
                   (4)  Set the shutter speed dial to B (bulb)
                   (5)  Determine the f/stop based on the flash to subject distance (not the camera to subject distance)
                   (6)  Focus carefully
                   (7)  Depress the cable release and lock it to hold the  shutter open
                   (8)  Fire the electronic flash to light areas of the scene. The number of flashes and angle of the flashes will depend on the size and character
                          of the scene.  Do not point the flash directly at the camera and keep yourself out of the view of the camera
                   (9)  Unlock the cable release and allow the shutter to close
                   (10) Advance the film

PPI Jason

I've gotten a lot of training in this and have used it a number of times. It's really fascinating and has given really good results. I've used it on a number of crime scenes that were completely dark. When you look at the photos, it looked as if it were illuminated by street lights.

It's a little tricky though. If you don't angle the flash correctly, you get flashes in the photograph that look like orbs. You can also get shadow figures (that represent light reflecting off objects and casting the person's shadow back at the camera). I think you're right on Brian. That's exactly what those flashes are. When I look at some of the early photos I took by painting with light, I got the same exact flash effect as the flashes shown in this photo. The mysterious figure is also very characteristic of the long exposure.

My only problem is this, the flashes are coming from locations where I wouldn't expect a person to be standing (i.e. the person holding the flash). For example, typical methods of painting by light would mean that the flashes would show up any where in the photo where you would expect the flash to be positioned. Those flashes look a lot higher than where I would have expected the flashes to be.

Also, I have never seen painting with light used with persons in the photographs. The long shutter exposures would cause extreme blurring, even with the slightest of movements. I know of some photos involving people using relatively short exposures (under a minute) but usually large areas like this take more than a minute to do (because you have to move around with the flash) and I imagine this photo would have to have been taken with an exposure of no more than 30 seconds (if you believe you can actually get a construction worker to sit still that long).

That having been said, there is a lot to photography I don't know. I still think this photograph was, as Brian said, done by painting with light. It's just I think they must be using some technique that's different from what I've ever done, or seen, to date.

I wish I could show you some of the neat photos I've taken, but they're top secret  ;)
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

adminsandiegohaunted

adminsandiegohaunted

Quote from: PPI Brian on December 16, 2011, 03:27:18 AM
That would be really cool. Hillary Rodham Clinton said: "There is something about the house at night that you just feel like you are summoning up the spirits of all the people who have lived there and worked there and walked through the halls there." On the ?Rosie O'Donnell Show,? the former first lady noted: "It's neat. It can be a little creepy. You know, they think there's a ghost there. It is a big old house, and when the lights are out it is dark and quiet and any movement at all catches your attention."

Here's a link about some of the paranormal activity at the White House:

http://www.haunted-places.com/WhiteHouseGhosts.htm

I heard the ghost of J.F.K. gave Bill Clinton a high five after the Monica business was concluded.

"I'm just saying....."

PPI Brian

I've used this technique for long exposure photography over the years, and if I dig through my negative archives I might have some examples I can share. It's been my experience that people "caught in the flash" will show up very clearly on the negative, even if they move out of the scene while the shutter is still open. People who are not directly illuminated by the flash often appear as smudges or as ghostly apparitions like the one in thei photo. The flash points in the picture seem to coincide with points where the photographer was standing while using the flash. Perhpas he was standing on the iron beams to cast the maximum amount of light?

PPI Jason

That would explain why you would see the flashes. If he were up on the beams, it would be difficult for him to postion himself between the camera and the flash. He may have been holding the flash over his head (while holding on for dear life with the other hand). But it would make sense that he would want to get up as high as possible to make the most of the flash.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey