News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

Grossmont Symphony Concert

Started by PPI Jason, April 22, 2011, 04:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Jason

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to keep you up-to-date. I'm going to be performing with the Grossmont Symphony Orchestra once again. Honestly, I don't have time to do this, but it's a rare treat, and huge honor, to be able to perform with this very prestigous group of performers. I was physically unable turn it down when they asked me to fill in for the second clarinet. Here is the concert information:

Performance: Friday, May 20, 2011 at 7:30 pm
Venue: St. John of the Cross Catholic Church (8086 Broadway in Lemon Grove)
Admission: Free-Will Offering
Guest artist: Arnold Barron, bassoon
Literature:
John Williams - The Five Sacred Trees (Bassoon Concerto)
Chavez Symphony No. 2 (Sinfonia India)
Ravel Daphnis et Chloe: Suite No. 2

This is probably the most challenging collection of pieces I have ever played. Not only are these concerts amazing, but the conductor (Dr. Tweed) gives an amazing introduction and explanation of each piece before the performance. Music, just like any other art, is sometimes unappreciated because we haven't learned how to appreciate it. These concerts not only feature amazing music but a great way to learn "how" to listen to music. I'm sure Tracy and Karl can relate since both art and literature often need a little explanation to help the masses better appreciate them.

Anyway, of course you're all invited. If you can't make it, however, no worries.

And Gary, I know you have gone to the concert band performances. Just for comparison, this group is way way way above the caliber of groups that were performing at the concert you went to. I love playing with the concert band, but many of the performers in this group are professionals and do this for a living. It's pretty much the best quality classical music you can listen to for free. Also, you guys would have a hard time seeing me since clarinets sit in the back (as opposed to the front like in a band).

Anyway, take care everyone and hopefully I will get a chance to visit with you all soon.

Jason
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Brian

This sounds incredible. I will mark my calendar.  ;D
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tracy

Jason,
This sounds like an absolutely amazing opportunity for you.....and for us to be able to attend.  It's a drive but so worth it.  I am going to try my best to be there.  This would be such a wonderful evening. 

PPI Karl

May 20.  Yes!  I'll be there!  Greatly looking forward to this.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

Gary

Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Jason

That sounds great everyone. Of course, no worries if you have to miss. But I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think you would enjoy it. I'll look forward to seeing you then and seeing you guys later on tonight.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Brian

I have only been to St. John's a couple of times. If memory serves me correctly, the acoustics are great there.  :)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Jason

Quote from: PPI Jason on April 22, 2011, 09:35:06 PM
That sounds great everyone. Of course, no worries if you have to miss. But I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think you would enjoy it. I'll look forward to seeing you then and seeing you guys later on tonight.

St. John's is accoustically magnificent (which is one of the reasons Dr. Tweed regularly has his group peform there). The last concert I did with this group was Bruckner's 4th Symphony. Bruckner was Catholic, as well as an organist. The pieces he wrote for symphony sound like they were written for an organ. As such they are perfect to play in a church (where the power and majesty of the organ lingers in the air long after the player has stopped playing). We won't be playing Bruckner at this concert, but I offer it as a reference.

The accoustics present a huge challenge, however. Because of the huge amount of "reverb" (sound that continues to bounce off the walls over and over again) it is difficult for orchestra members to follow the conductor. Also, performers have to emphasize spaces between each note in a way they don't have to in a regular concert hall. If performers don't put more space between their notes, than the piece can become muddled (like an oil painting where the paint is too diluted and the colors run together).

But if done properly, the music comes alive in that church. Each pause feels like the music is taking a breath. Each note is its own song. I hope this concert will live up to that.
-Jack Handey

PPI Debra

It sounds wonderful, Jason!
I just saw some stills form the royal wedding..... is it okay if I don't wear a hat to this event? lol.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer