News:

Thinking of inviting PPI to your home or business? Visit "Client Resources" on our main website for helpful articles and guidelines, or click "Request Help" to contact us about setting up an investigation.

Main Menu

What Are Your Top 5 Paranormal Books (Research, non-fiction)

Started by externalink, May 28, 2009, 06:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

externalink

"The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity."

PPI Tracy

*ALERT* Thread hog approaching!  No way I can limit it to 5! 

1. Shadows of the Dark  (John Zaffis)

2. Strange Frequencies (Craig Telesha)

3. Psience:  How New Discoveries in Quantum Physics and New Science May Explain the Existence of Paranormal Phenomena ( Marie D. Jones)

4. The Handbook of Parapsychology (Hans Holzer)

5. Ghosts - True Encounters With The World Beyond (Hans Holzer)

6. Ghost Hunters: William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death (Deborah Blum)

7. Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from the Atlantic Paranormal Society (Jason Hawes)

8. Picture Yourself Ghost Hunting: Step-by-step Insetruction for Exploring Haunts and Finding Spirits, Spooks, and Specters (Christopher Balzano) - just got this book because everyone was raving about it.  I actually find it interesting.  Pretty good read so far.

9. Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife (Mary Roach) - Reading this right now also.  I am enjoying it.  (thanks for the advice Karl)

externalink

"The Handbook of Parapsychology"

Ahh parapsychology. My favorite part of all this!!!! I have to order that book asap!

PPI Tim

That looks like a good start for a list. I was wondering if you were trying to get a top five book list you would have in your library or would you bring along to help you investigate?
Sounds interesting...Go on.

externalink

Both are good! I am here to learn as much as possible.

PPI Brian

Quote from: TAPS Tracy on May 29, 2009, 12:37:41 PM
*ALERT* Thread hog approaching!  No way I can limit it to 5! 

1. Shadows of the Dark  (John Zaffis)

2. Strange Frequencies (Craig Telesha)

3. Psience:  How New Discoveries in Quantum Physics and New Science May Explain the Existence of Paranormal Phenomena ( Marie D. Jones)

4. The Handbook of Parapsychology (Hans Holzer)

5. Ghosts - True Encounters With The World Beyond (Hans Holzer)

6. Ghost Hunters: William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death (Deborah Blum)

7. Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from the Atlantic Paranormal Society (Jason Hawes)

8. Picture Yourself Ghost Hunting: Step-by-step Insetruction for Exploring Haunts and Finding Spirits, Spooks, and Specters (Christopher Balzano) - just got this book because everyone was raving about it.  I actually find it interesting.  Pretty good read so far.

9. Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife (Mary Roach) - Reading this right now also.  I am enjoying it.  (thanks for the advice Karl)

Excellent list, Tracy. I have a copy of Spook too. Can't wait to read it.

I would add the following to Tracy's very comprehensive list:

Complete Idiot's Guide to Ghosts and Hauntings, The
2nd Edition Ogden, Tom

Ghost Hunter's Guide Book
Taylor, Troy

Demon Haunted World, The
Carl Sagan

Ghost Hunter's Strangest Cases, The
Holzer, Hans
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tim

That is a good list.
I think we might require some of these books to be read by all members including myself.

externalink

I can't wait to get paid so I can git my book learnin' on!
;D

PPI Tim

I'm currently working on a PPI suggested Booklist.
It will have a summarys of the books and bibliographic information to help you locate the items.
Stay tuned.

johnny

I have gotten some more reading to do! What a list of books.
Heaven won't take me and hell's afraid I'll take over.

PPI Tim

Hey Guys,
Here is a starting list of recommended reading.
I hope Karl or Brian can show me again how to upload it in joomla.
Enjoy
Tim

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Tim on June 22, 2009, 11:53:56 AM
Hey Guys,
Here is a starting list of recommended reading.
I hope Karl or Brian can show again how to upload it in joomla.
Enjoy
Tim

Too cool for school.  8)

Tim, if you need a tutorial, let me know.  As Brigham says, it's fairly easy to start an article.  I'll be happy to show you the basics of it.  Meanwhile, I just downloaded your list and I'm eager to look through it.  Thank you for doing this!  It's going to make an excellent addition to our repository of information and to our group's credibility.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

Hi Karl,

Tim and I reworked the book list and published it to the website. We added a navigation link on the front page. Sorry if I F'd up your seperators, but at least the link works, which in and of itself is a minor miracle.  ;D

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Brian M on June 24, 2009, 02:14:45 AM
Hi Karl,

Tim and I reworked the book list and published it to the website. We added a navigation link on the front page. Sorry if I F'd up your seperators, but at least the link works, which in and of itself is a minor miracle.  ;D

God Brian. Another separator F'd up?  What's the deal?

No separator is safe with "Mow Em' Down Miller" around.   ;)

PPI Tim

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Brian M on June 24, 2009, 02:14:45 AMSorry if I F'd up your separators, but at least the link works, which in and of itself is a minor miracle.  ;D

F'd up separators?  Good fences make good neighbors.  (Or, as Vlad the Impaler demonstrated, bad neighbors can make good fences.)

Love the book list!  If I go in and conform the bibliographic style a bit, I hope no one gets offended.  It's the incorrigible English prof in me.  Otherwise, the whole thang be kickin'!   8)
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

LOL! Yeah, look out seperators. Here comes Miller to F you up.  ;D

I tried to change the color of the font and clean up some of the text using the HTML editor in Joomla, but it proved a bit too daunting for me today.

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Brian M on June 24, 2009, 04:40:39 PM
LOL! Yeah, look out seperators. Here comes Miller to F you up.  ;D

I tried to change the color of the font and clean up some of the text using the HTML editor in Joomla, but it proved a bit too daunting for me today.

I gotcha covered.  Check it out:
http://www.pacificparanormal.com/joomla/content/view/65/50/

Besides making the citations uniform in style and arranging the list alphabetically by author, I added Hans Holzer's much beloved book, Ghosts:  True Encounters With the World Beyond

What a great list, though.  I'm impressed.  I can't wait to watch this list expand, too.  Very cool.

PPI Brian

Awesome, Karl.  ;D  Thank you so much for fixing all the little things that bothered me about the book list. And thank you for adding Hans Holzer's book, too. I think it looks fantastic, and I am eager to see it grow in the near future.  ;D

PPI Tim

Glad you like it Karl,
You touched it up quite well.
Thank you.
Brian Miller thought I need to create another booklist for the southern California places.

Brian Johnson

1st let me say, great book list, Timmy!!!!!

I think its important to read all you can on paranormal research. This includes the good, bad, and most certainly the ugly. Even if a book is not all that great, it can give you a leaping off point into a possible new theory, experiment, or even a new technique. Or it can just make you want to leap off something. The point is to read as much as you can about a certain topic so that you have a firm grasp of whats going on in the field. There's no such thing as a bad researcher if you are well read and contribute to the field. Remember, this field is purely theoretical at this point and time.

johnny

Heaven won't take me and hell's afraid I'll take over.