News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan

Started by PPI Brian, March 11, 2011, 02:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on March 22, 2011, 05:27:41 PM
*Ding* (lightbulb moment).  Thank you, Debra. 

I learn to so much here. 

We all do, from each other!  :)
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Tracy

Very true, Deb.  Very true. 

(you are an awesome teacher)  :)

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on March 23, 2011, 12:54:29 PM
Very true, Deb.  Very true. 

(you are an awesome teacher)  :)

Thanks for the kind words, Tracy.  :)
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Debra

Neutron beam observed 13 times at crippled Fukushima nuke plant

TOKYO, March 23, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Wednesday it has observed a neutron beam, a kind of radioactive ray, 13 times on the premises of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant after it was crippled by the massive March 11 quake-tsunami disaster.

TEPCO, the operator of the nuclear plant, said the neutron beam measured about 1.5 kilometers southwest of the plant's No. 1 and 2 reactors over three days from March 13 and is equivalent to 0.01 to 0.02 microsieverts per hour and that this is not a dangerous level.

The utility firm said it will measure uranium and plutonium, which could emit a neutron beam, as well.

In the 1999 criticality accident at a nuclear fuel processing plant run by JCO Co. in Tokaimura, Ibaraki Prefecture, uranium broke apart continually in nuclear fission, causing a massive amount of neutron beams.

In the latest case at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, such a criticality accident has yet to happen.

But the measured neutron beam may be evidence that uranium and plutonium leaked from the plant's nuclear reactors and spent nuclear fuels have discharged a small amount of neutron beams through nuclear fission.

==Kyodo

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/80539.html

PPI Jason

Is that what they were talking about when the Pointer Sisters sang, "I'm just burnin' doin' the neutron dance"? I always wondered what they meant because it never made any sense to me. I guess it still doesn't make sense. Does that mean we can call them the "Pointless Sisters"?
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Jason on March 23, 2011, 07:37:13 PM
Is that what they were talking about when the Pointer Sisters sang, "I'm just burnin' doin' the neutron dance"? I always wondered what they meant because it never made any sense to me. I guess it still doesn't make sense. Does that mean we can call them the "Pointless Sisters"?

They had to make up a flashy song for Beverly Hills Cop.  Eddie Murphy can't just swing from a truck on a chain to just any song now, ya know. 

It's so funny how we just took for granted the meaning of song lyrics or titles "back in the day."  Yeah....Little Red Corvette   is about a car.  NOT.