News:

Thinking of inviting PPI to your home or business? Visit "Client Resources" on our main website for helpful articles and guidelines, or click "Request Help" to contact us about setting up an investigation.

Main Menu

Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan

Started by PPI Brian, March 11, 2011, 02:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Debra

"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Brian

They are risking their lives in order to get this terrifying situation under control. The Japanese people have a deep sense of duty, and the 180 workers who are trying to stop this situation from escalating see it as their duty to their community and the world. Regardless of the outcome, they are all heros. I wish them the best, and I bow to them.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

Gary

It's a crazy time right now for them.  And for the whole world.  I will be praying for the best!
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Jason

Quote from: PPI Karl on March 16, 2011, 12:48:25 PM
Those fifty workers are going back in today to make a last, desperate stand to control the meltdown.  It's a suicide mission.  I have no words right now.

It's so sad. But I have to say that I am never more proud to be a human being then when I see what lengths we are capable of going to for the benefit of others. This sounds so stupid at a time like this, but I think of Spock in Star Trek II when he said, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." That may sound corny, but I think it lay at the heart of the aspect of humanity I have always admired and aspired to.

I also think of the countless Soviets who allowed themselves to be cemented inside of Chernobyl in order to help stave off further disaster at that tragedy. Every day I lose faith in humanity, seeing all the crap we do to each other every day. But then I see a day like today and I feel good again...even if sad at the same time.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Jason on March 16, 2011, 09:11:57 PM
Quote from: PPI Karl on March 16, 2011, 12:48:25 PM
Those fifty workers are going back in today to make a last, desperate stand to control the meltdown.  It's a suicide mission.  I have no words right now.

It's so sad. But I have to say that I am never more proud to be a human being then when I see what lengths we are capable of going to for the benefit of others. This sounds so stupid at a time like this, but I think of Spock in Star Trek II when he said, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." That may sound corny, but I think it lay at the heart of the aspect of humanity I have always admired and aspired to.

I also think of the countless Soviets who allowed themselves to be cemented inside of Chernobyl in order to help stave off further disaster at that tragedy. Every day I lose faith in humanity, seeing all the crap we do to each other every day. But then I see a day like today and I feel good again...even if sad at the same time.

Thank you for saying that, Jason. I wholeheartedly agree.

When I took Bodhisattva vows with Lama Gyatso... he explained that we had to sacrifice our lives in the event that it would serve the greater good. I know we all aspire to be so noble. The instinct for survival can be hard to ignore.
What the brave workers are doing is Bodhisattva action. They do have the Bodhisattva principle as part of the Japanese culture... They certainly have wings .
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Jason

I've always been intrigued by and admired the idea of the Bodhisattva. I first came across the concept in a world religions class back in college. I admired it so greatly I decided then and there that was how I wanted to live.

But I have to admit I haven't studied the Bodhisattva much. All I really understood about them was that they represent a group of individuals who attained enlightenment. The normal course, as I understand it, was that once you attain enlightenment you pretty much rejoin the collective existence, or Atman, and achieve Nirvana, a blessed state of non-existence. What made the Bodhisattva so interesting was that upon achieving enlightenment they choose to pass on all the bliss and peace associated with Nirvana and choose instead to "stay behind" and help others achieve enlightenment.

Now I don't claim to have achieved enlightenment, but this was such a beautiful concept to me. I acknowledge, however, that my understanding of the idea (as described above) is probably inaccurate in many ways. When you get some time, you'll have to fill me in on the correct beliefs of this very interesting and very noble idea.  :)
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Jason on March 17, 2011, 10:33:41 PM
I've always been intrigued by and admired the idea of the Bodhisattva. I first came across the concept in a world religions class back in college. I admired it so greatly I decided then and there that was how I wanted to live.

But I have to admit I haven't studied the Bodhisattva much. All I really understood about them was that they represent a group of individuals who attained enlightenment. The normal course, as I understand it, was that once you attain enlightenment you pretty much rejoin the collective existence, or Atman, and achieve Nirvana, a blessed state of non-existence. What made the Bodhisattva so interesting was that upon achieving enlightenment they choose to pass on all the bliss and peace associated with Nirvana and choose instead to "stay behind" and help others achieve enlightenment.

Now I don't claim to have achieved enlightenment, but this was such a beautiful concept to me. I acknowledge, however, that my understanding of the idea (as described above) is probably inaccurate in many ways. When you get some time, you'll have to fill me in on the correct beliefs of this very interesting and very noble idea.  :)

Jason,
Thanks for giving me the joy of having someone to share the idea with!

What you said above is basically correct.

There are oral teachings that go with it.

The interesting thing is that the Bodhisattva vows to bypass nirvana until all sentient beings have achieved enlightenment,
which means you keep coming back here, or to going to hell realms, helping others achieve their highest potentials.

Most humans (there other beings besides humans who take these vows) take the vow.. then they end up singing the Meat Loaf song
"Now I'm sitting here waiting for enlightenment to arrive
because if I spend another moment with you, i don't think that I will survive.
" (Paradise by the Dashboard Light)
(Okay, I did change one word!)

After taking this vow in Tehachepi, high up on the mountain, I had a lot of time to think.

So I went to Lama.
"Lama, the Bodhisattva thing... you know, hanging around until all sentient beings achieve enlightenment.... That will never happen, will it? I mean, sentient beings will exist endlessly, and they will never ALL be enlightened."
"This is true." he said, smiling.

I knew I in as in deep trouble here.
I had vowed to do this forever. Tricky lamas!

There are so many things I'd love to share with you Jason! As soon as we can talk. You can even call me if you want to.

PPI Brian

International radiological monitoring teams are predicting the first radioactive plume from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant will arrive in southern California by Friday night. Although the predictions are for trace amounts of radioactive fallout, everyone involved in the monitoring efforts admit they really don't know what the environmental impact of the plume will be once it arrives.    

http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/node/5712

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Brian M on March 18, 2011, 02:49:05 AM
International radiological monitoring teams are predicting the first radioactive plume from the Fukushima Diichi nuclear power plant will arrive in southern California by Friday night. Although the predictions are for trace amounts of radioactive fallout, everyone involved in the monitoring efforts admit they really don't know what the environmental impact of the plume will be once it arrives.   

http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/node/5712

Yeah, Obama was quoted as saying, "Radiation is of no danger to the West Coast."  Why do I think his nose is getting longer by the minute? 

PPI Brian

I got out my trusty Geiger counter this morning and did a baseline at my house before going to work. I was relieved to see the readings well within the standard background radiation pulse we have documented for southern California residences -- 0.14 microsieverts per hour, plus or minus 0.03 microsieverts. I'lll let you know if the readings change this evening.

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Brian M on March 18, 2011, 04:32:56 PM
I got out my trusty Geiger counter this morning and did a baseline at my house before going to work. I was relieved to see the readings well within the standard background radiation pulse we have documented for southern California residences -- 0.14 microsieverts per hour, plus or minus 0.03 microsieverts. I'lll let you know if the readings change this evening.

Thanks Brian.
:)

PPI Brian

Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't picked up anything outside the normal background radiation level tonight.0.14 +- 0.03 microsieverts per hour. I took samples at my house and at two locations a few miles west. I will monitor at least twice a day and keep you posted.  

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Brian M on March 19, 2011, 12:47:32 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't picked up anything outside the normal background radiation level tonight.0.14 +- 0.03 microsieverts per hour. I took samples at my house and at two locations a few miles west. I will monitor at least twice a day and keep you posted.  

Brian,
Thank you for your generosity and thoughtfulness.  That is priceless.  :)

Gary

No joke!  Brian, thank you for keeping us posted on this. 
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Jason

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on March 17, 2011, 10:50:47 PM
Quote from: PPI Jason on March 17, 2011, 10:33:41 PM

Jason,
Thanks for giving me the joy of having someone to share the idea with!

What you said above is basically correct.

There are oral teachings that go with it.

The interesting thing is that the Bodhisattva vows to bypass nirvana until all sentient beings have achieved enlightenment,
which means you keep coming back here, or to going to hell realms, helping others achieve their highest potentials.

Most humans (there other beings besides humans who take these vows) take the vow.. then they end up singing the Meat Loaf song
"Now I'm sitting here waiting for enlightenment to arrive
because if I spend another moment with you, i don't think that I will survive.
" (Paradise by the Dashboard Light)
(Okay, I did change one word!)

After taking this vow in Tehachepi, high up on the mountain, I had a lot of time to think.

So I went to Lama.
"Lama, the Bodhisattva thing... you know, hanging around until all sentient beings achieve enlightenment.... That will never happen, will it? I mean, sentient beings will exist endlessly, and they will never ALL be enlightened."
"This is true." he said, smiling.

I knew I in as in deep trouble here.
I had vowed to do this forever. Tricky lamas!

There are so many things I'd love to share with you Jason! As soon as we can talk. You can even call me if you want to.

Thank you Debra. I will definitely be in touch with you on this. This is an ideal I am very much interested in and would like to learn much more about whenever possible.  :)
-Jack Handey

PPI Karl

I saw a blurb a couple of days ago that donations for relief to the quake/tsunami victims was lagging behind those of the Haiti and Katrina survivors when they occurred.  I'm a little confused by that.  Any thoughts on why that would happen?
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Karl on March 19, 2011, 01:19:59 PM
I saw a blurb a couple of days ago that donations for relief to the quake/tsunami victims was lagging behind those of the Haiti and Katrina survivors when they occurred.  I'm a little confused by that.  Any thoughts on why that would happen?

Larry and I were discussing that.

Just a thought: there might be a fear factor at play with the nuclear plant and people are holding to there money "just in case"?

I'd like to know the answer, too.

PPI Brian

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on March 19, 2011, 01:23:45 PM
Quote from: PPI Karl on March 19, 2011, 01:19:59 PM

Larry and I were discussing that.

Just a thought: there might be a fear factor at play with the nuclear plant and people are holding to there money "just in case"?

I'd like to know the answer, too.

I haven't seen as many charities mobilizing for dontions for Japanese relief efforts compared to what they did for Katrina, Indonesia and Haiti. I was wondering about that too. It could it be attributed to the fact that charities are non profit organizations, and they have suffered during our current economic downturn.  Less people working for the charity means the charity will be less effective across the board.

By the way, there was no significant change in the background radiation levels as of 10:00 am this morning. 0.14 +- 0.13 microsieverts. We'll see if that changes when it starts raining.

Gary

That is interesting.  Brian, thank you again for your post.  I rode my bike to work today so hopefully the rain will hold out until I get home.  I'm very eager to see if anything changes.... HOPEFULLY NOT!!!!  :-\
Gary \m/

PPI Brian

No change this morning either: still 0.14 +- 0.03 microsieverts. Will monitor again tonight.  :)

PPI Karl

Thanks for the update, Brian.  So far, I haven't noticed the bananas spoiling any less quickly. ;D 

As of this morning, I'm not sure whether they really have containment of the reactors or not.  They say they do for three of them, but then I just heard they had to evacuate workers because of plumes of smoke rising out of one of them.  The coverage of the containment efforts has really slowed down the several days because of Libya.  Maybe that's a way to "contain" our fears about the reality of situation. 

And, on top of it all, we got cheated out of enjoying our Supermoon, damn it!  (I can't say I'm not enjoying the rain, to be honest.)
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Brian M on March 21, 2011, 12:00:54 AM
No change this morning either: still 0.14 +- 0.03 microsieverts. Will monitor again tonight.  :)

Thank you Brian.  :)

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Karl on March 21, 2011, 12:34:12 PM
Thanks for the update, Brian.  So far, I haven't noticed the bananas spoiling any less quickly. ;D  

As of this morning, I'm not sure whether they really have containment of the reactors or not.  They say they do for three of them, but then I just heard they had to evacuate workers because of plumes of smoke rising out of one of them.  The coverage of the containment efforts has really slowed down the several days because of Libya.  Maybe that's a way to "contain" our fears about the reality of situation.  

And, on top of it all, we got cheated out of enjoying our Supermoon, damn it!  (I can't say I'm not enjoying the rain, to be honest.)

I monitored late last night and early this morning during the pouring rain and the background radiation levels were slightly lower than the standard baseline of 0.14 +- 0.03 microsieverts. I was getting pretty steady 0.10 to 0.11 for 30 minutes. Apparently the rain puts a damper on the BRL (excuse the pun). I'm relieved I have not picked up any detectable increase in the background radiation levels. The UN's International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) predictions turned out to be correct.  ;D

Not sure what the situation is at Fukushima. The world's attention is focused on Libya and Charlie Sheen, and information is kind of scarce. Last I heard the government finally brought in some generators and got the cooling pumps operational again, which brought the temperatures back down to safe levels in reactors #5 and #6. Why it took them this long to get the generators up and running is beyond me. Seems it would be part of a comprehensive disaster plan to have generators airlifted in to keep the pumps running. The reactors survived the earthquake and the tsunami but losing power to their cooling pumps screwed everything up. I have always found nuclear power kind of stupid -- we harness the power of the atom to generate electriciy by boiling water? Seriously? I think we're missing the boat here. There are much safer ways to boil water these days.  

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/03/limited-progress-cooling-fukushima-1-nuclear-reactors-japan-nukes.php

PPI Tracy

Agreed - Much safer way to boil water!

PPI Brian

Latest update from Japan:

The death toll from the Japan's worst postwar disaster rose to 9,099 as of 9 p.m. local time yesterday, with 13,786 people missing, according to the National Police Agency in Tokyo. The earthquake and ensuing tsunami devastated the country?s northern coastline and forced hundreds of thousands to evacuate.

Tokyo Electric Power Company workers began restoring power to the crippled nuclear plant in northern Japan as the government grappled with radiation that has leaked into the sea and tainted some food.

Lights are on in the control room at Fukushima Dai-Ichi plant's reactor #3, while some lights are on at reactor #4. Reactors #5 and #6 are already supplied with electricity.

70% of the fuel rods at the #1 reactor are suspected to be severely damaged and 33% at the #2 reactor. Authorities speculate the entire site will be decomissioned once the situation is contained. No news on the adverse health effects anticipated for the workers who risked their lives to stop the situation from escalating.

PPI Tracy

This is just beyond comprehension.  Truly.  What I have been hearing is that the vegetables, fish, chickens, cows and other farm animals that are raised for consumption have been tested and have significant amounts of radiation.  The concern obviously is that it will get into the food supply.  I think this disaster will have far reaching ramifications that perhaps we haven't even realized as of yet.

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on March 22, 2011, 04:54:37 PM
This is just beyond comprehension.  Truly.  What I have been hearing is that the vegetables, fish, chickens, cows and other farm animals that are raised for consumption have been tested and have significant amounts of radiation.  The concern obviously is that it will get into the food supply.  I think this disaster will have far reaching ramifications that perhaps we haven't even realized as of yet.

It's very hard to grok without flinching.  :(

PPI Tracy

I try very hard not to grok.

What is "grok"? 

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Tracy on March 22, 2011, 05:16:51 PM
I try very hard not to grok.

What is "grok"? 

Grok is word that Robert Heinlein made up in his classic novel Stranger in a Strange Land. (A must read for any sci-fi fan!)
"Grok" means "to drink" , it's also used in the context of "to take in", or "to understand deeply".
:)

PPI Tracy

*Ding* (lightbulb moment).  Thank you, Debra. 

I learn to so much here.