News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Are some medications a bad joke?

Started by PPI Karl, August 21, 2010, 05:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Karl

Medications and their side effects are a common feature of our investigative and research process for any paranormal investigation, but sometimes I think the names they come up with for their prescription drugs are bad jokes.  I don't know whether that joke is being played on the unsuspecting public, or whether an underpaid marketer is simply getting revenge.  

Still, I wanna know how a gastrointestinal drug named Aciphex (pronounced "ass effects") passed inspection before it hit the market?  I know laughter is the best medicine but, seriously, in an era when diaper ads perfunctorily show pee as blue, how could "Aciphex" have slipped under their radar? :-\
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Debra

I believe some have to be a joke.
Another case in point is "lyrica", originally tested as an anti-seizure med, until it was discovered to cause permanent increases in seizures in epilepsy patients. Then it was given to persons with Fibromyalgia  , Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Myalgic Encephalmyalitis, which are all autoimmune disorders. Now it's known to lower immune response and increase (cause?) tuberculosis in the patients who take it. It costs $300.00 a month, and insurance doesn't cover it. Someone is laughing all the way to the bank. A pretty purple pill with a musical name....
(excuse my bad spelling)
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

ljiljanac

If Disney movie employees can stoop so low as to think that a phallic symbol on the cover of The Little Mermaid movie is funny and harmless, then I would be hard pressed to believe that powers that be are blind to the names that are coming out for these medications.  I do believe that a sick sense of humor is at play and is allowed out the belief of..."It's so damn funny, man!!  What harm can it do??  HaHaHa!" 

Damian

I laughed my ass off when I heard about Aciphex!  My dad actually relies on that medication, and I joke with him about the name all the time.

As a marketing professional, ya really gots to consider what'ya name somethin...  I can easily see some disgruntled or overworked Marketing person thinking "I'll bet I can sneak this name through, and no one will realize until consumers email us making fun of it!  Genius!"
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Tracy

OMG....dying over here.   :D

"Lip-i-tor"  ouch

"Clone-dine"  I'm having a friend for dinner

"Pro-zac"  what's he so good at?

p.s.  Damian...if I was your Dad, I'd pronounce it "Ah-si-fects".  Just sayin....   :-\

Damian

I heard the name and immediately thought it was "Ass-effects".
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Damian on August 24, 2010, 05:01:06 PM
I heard the name and immediately thought it was "Ass-effects".

That medication is just too bootylicious for ya

Damian

Great! Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head.  I guess that's only fair given my comment about being 4 when Welcome Back Kotter was on.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Damian on August 24, 2010, 10:18:59 PM
Great! Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head.  I guess that's only fair given my comment about being 4 when Welcome Back Kotter was on.

Karmic Justice!  Mwwwwaaahhhahhhaaa!

Hey, it could be worse.  You could have this song stuck in your head:

"Well we're movin on UP (movin on Up)
To the East side....
To a deeeluxe apartment in the skyyyyyy
Yeah we're movin on UP (movin on UP)
To the East side....
We finally got a piece of the pie....."

Oh...I'm sorry.  You probably don't remember it.  Cuz you were ONLY 4!!!!!   >:[

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Damian

Bizarre!!!  My wife was singing that to me yesterday because we had just signed a lease to rent a new place!

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Damian on August 25, 2010, 06:33:06 PM
Bizarre!!!  My wife was singing that to me yesterday because we had just signed a lease to rent a new place!

:D :D :D :D

PPI Karl

I heard yet another careless advertising pitch last night.  (You guys probably heard this one, too.)  Apparently there's a Kia automobile model called "Soul"--the Kia Soul.  The commercial begins in total earnest with an announcer proudly stating, "No one sells more Souls than Kearney Mesa Kia."

Holy Faustian Contract, where are the handlers for these people?!!!!!  Seriously! :D :D :D :D
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Karl on September 02, 2010, 12:50:06 PM
I heard yet another careless advertising pitch last night.  (You guys probably heard this one, too.)  Apparently there's a Kia automobile model called "Soul"--the Kia Soul.  The commercial begins in total earnest with an announcer proudly stating, "No one sells more Souls than Kearney Mesa Kia."

Holy Faustian Contract, where are the handlers for these people?!!!!!  Seriously! :D :D :D :D

O....M....G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is TOO DAMN FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
  :D :D :D :D :D

Damian

Kearny Mesa Kia, helping repopulate Hell since 1996.  666 of 667 demons agree that Kearny Mesa Kia is the place to be.

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Damian on September 02, 2010, 09:13:21 PM
Kearny Mesa Kia, helping repopulate Hell since 1996.  666 of 667 demons agree that Kearny Mesa Kia is the place to be.

Maybe this is a job for Lorraine Warren.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Jason

That would really blow. I mean really blow.

Could you imagine selling your soul to the devil.....FOR A KIA!!!

I could picture myself driving down the street in one of those little babe magnets thinking to myself, "Sure I'll burn in hell for eternity when everything is said and done, but wait 'til I put some spinners on this baby. 120 horsepower don't stop me now!!!"
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey