News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Vanished Persian Army Said Found In Desert

Started by PPI Brian, November 11, 2009, 07:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Italian researchers are claiming that the remains of a lost band of Persian soldiers have been discovered, ending an archeological mystery. Many of the weapons and artifacts, along with scores of human bones, match those on record for their time period and help to prove that when the army disappeared it took an different course than thought of originally, albeit a doomed one. The 50,000 strong lost army of Persian King Cambyses II, first reported by Greek historian Herodotus, was most likely taken down by a massive sandstorm around 525 B.C. Said to have been sent to destroy the oracle at the Oasis of Siwa by Cambyses, son of Cyrus the Great, the men marched into the desert, and after last being seen at an oasis," they disappeared."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33791672/ns/technology_and_science-science?GT1=43001
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tim

Cool Article Brian. No bones about it ;D
That must have been quite the sandstorm.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

ldwalkup

Brian,
Thanks for the article.  I love ancient history.  Keep them coming.  Wish I had a time machine.

PPI Brian

Quote from: ldwalkup on November 18, 2009, 07:15:31 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the article.  I love ancient history.  Keep them coming.  Wish I had a time machine.

Hi Linda,

You're welcome. I have always been fascinated by ancient history, and feel compelled to share articles like this one when I run across them.

Hope all is well

Brian
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

ldwalkup