News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Geocaching

Started by CACPIR_Dave, July 12, 2008, 02:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CACPIR_Dave

Anyone in here do this?
My friends and i are taking advantage of our dusty GPS units and giving it a try.

Kristen

A woman I used to work with did this all the time and she loved it.  It does seem like fun.
Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be understood.  ~Marie Curie

MichaelF (FPIE)

Heard about it, never did it, sounds like fun.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

ttjoon

I suppose I could look it up in internet land, but what it is?

MichaelF (FPIE)

It's like having a scavenger hunt, but you use GPS coordinates.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

ttjoon

Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on July 12, 2008, 06:57:21 PM
It's like having a scavenger hunt, but you use GPS coordinates.

Hey...think that will work for finding cheap gas?   ;)

PPI Brian

The cheapest gas I've found so far is in Yuma; I paid $3.94 a gallon.  ;D
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

ldwalkup

I paid $3.89 in Yuma on Thursday.  Hotter than hell there.

MichaelF (FPIE)

Quote from: ldwalkup on July 19, 2008, 11:16:02 AM

Well I am ready to play, just got my IPHONE, posting from it now actually. Internet everywhere now!!  Let me know if anything looks odd with my posting.

ttjoon

Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on July 19, 2008, 10:01:26 PM
Quote from: ldwalkup on July 19, 2008, 11:16:02 AM

Well I am ready to play, just got my IPHONE, posting from it now actually. Internet everywhere now!!  Let me know if anything looks odd with my posting.

I am thinking of getting an IPhone.  Question of the hour though:  Does it, or does it not have voice dialing?  (drum roll.......)

MichaelF (FPIE)

No it currently does not have voice dialing.  However, the nice thing about the IPHONE is that there are a lot of 3rd party apps for it, one for voice dialing is being worked on.

I never had an Iphone before myself, but it was time for a new phone for me, plus I had been wanting a PDA for work.  An Iphone does both for me.  It's actually a lot cooler then I thought it would be.  Only two things lacking that I wish it had.  Voice dialing, and audio turn by turn directions with it's navigation system.  It has a very cool GPS navigation system, but it doesn't say "turn left now" for example.  However, they say a 3rd party app is baing made for that as well.

For the money it is well worth it in my opinion.

ttjoon

That is a bummer that it doesn't have voice dialing.  I do a lot of my cell phone talking when I am driving......using a bluetooth, that is.  I need a voice dialing phone.  I have a Motorola Razor phone, but sometimes it doesn't recognize a name even though I have programed it in using my own voice.  My hubby has a Treo and he loves it.  I found it to be way too cumbersome when it comes to just getting to the phone.  I had one and got rid of it.  I guess the perfect solution is to wait until you are NOT driving to use your cell phone, huh?   ;)

PPI Brian

I agree, Tracy. I do a lot of my calls while on the road using a blue tooth or a cable headset, but my LG VCast is very good at voice dialing. Doesn't LG have a model out that's got most if not all the features of the IPhone?
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

ttjoon

Quote from: PPI Brian M on July 21, 2008, 12:06:08 AM
I agree, Tracy. I do a lot of my calls while on the road using a blue tooth or a cable headset, but my LG VCast is very good at voice dialing. Doesn't LG have a model out that's got most if not all the features of the IPhone?

I think they might.  I'll have to research it.

MichaelF (FPIE)

Tracy, I had a Razor myself before I got my IPHONE, I love it.  I used voice dialing with my Razor some, but not all the time.  I don't really miss it much with the IPHONE because I got a mount for my phone on my dash now, mostly for the GPS and driving directions feature.  The IPHONE has a much smarter phone book then the Razor, especially the part with favorite numbers, so you don't need to look through 50 numbers for those 5-10 numbers you call all the time.

The speaker on it is so nice I don't even use my Bluetooth anymore.  Where my phone is mounted, it's really easy to just hit one button to call somebody, on the Razor you had to hit a button to voice dial anyway.  Voice dialing would be nice, but I really don't miss it.

For me the IPHONE was well worth it, my monthly bill actually went down, and it didn't cost all that much at $199.00.  The Navy blocks a lot of websites and such like Youtube, which was annoying when you guys posted cool stuff or sites here.  Now, I have access to pretty much everything everywhere.

One thing I have noticed though, I eat up my battery fast.  It's not bad if I just use it as a phone, but when I'm using it as a phone, surfing the net, listening to music, playing games and such the battery goes down fairly quickly.

CACPIR_Dave

Hey, my topic just got hijacked!  LOL

I just picked up the Touch, by HTC.  I have to have an external Bluetooth GPS recieve for the navigation, but other than that the phone is great.  Powerful too.

ttjoon

Quote from: CACPIR_Dave on July 22, 2008, 01:07:26 AM
Hey, my topic just got hijacked!  LOL

I just picked up the Touch, by HTC.  I have to have an external Bluetooth GPS recieve for the navigation, but other than that the phone is great.  Powerful too.

See?  It's just like a kid: You turn your back for one second and all hell breaks loose!   :D

ttjoon

Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on July 21, 2008, 06:18:58 PM
Tracy, I had a Razor myself before I got my IPHONE, I love it.  I used voice dialing with my Razor some, but not all the time.  I don't really miss it much with the IPHONE because I got a mount for my phone on my dash now, mostly for the GPS and driving directions feature.  The IPHONE has a much smarter phone book then the Razor, especially the part with favorite numbers, so you don't need to look through 50 numbers for those 5-10 numbers you call all the time.

The speaker on it is so nice I don't even use my Bluetooth anymore.  Where my phone is mounted, it's really easy to just hit one button to call somebody, on the Razor you had to hit a button to voice dial anyway.  Voice dialing would be nice, but I really don't miss it.

For me the IPHONE was well worth it, my monthly bill actually went down, and it didn't cost all that much at $199.00.  The Navy blocks a lot of websites and such like Youtube, which was annoying when you guys posted cool stuff or sites here.  Now, I have access to pretty much everything everywhere.

One thing I have noticed though, I eat up my battery fast.  It's not bad if I just use it as a phone, but when I'm using it as a phone, surfing the net, listening to music, playing games and such the battery goes down fairly quickly.

I have GPS built into my car, so I don't need that.  However, I would like my contacts, calendar, work to do's, home to do's, my artist contracts, kids' stuff, ppi and taps stuff and a phone all in one thing. So far, I haven't found anything that really is able to do that.  The Treo would have...but it took an act of Congress just to get to the dang phone.  I had a Blackberry, but the phone was HORRIBLE!  Did I mention that the phone was HORRIBLE?  NO?  Okay....the phone was HORRIBLE!

MichaelF (FPIE)

Yea Tracy, that is pretty much how I was.  With work, I always had my cell phone and a notebook as a moved around, I wanted a PDA for a calendar and appointments, but I got the IPHONE instead.  It has places for notes, scheduling stuff, and is easy as heck to use.  The only thing I am unsure about is your artist contracts, you should be able to have them and send them, but you would need to host them on the web first I think, or maybe mail them to your phone.  Actually, you could also import them using ITUNES I think.

In the end, what each person needs does vary, but I am really happy with my IPHONE, it will get even better as more people develop apps for it.

ttjoon

Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on July 22, 2008, 06:49:42 PM
Yea Tracy, that is pretty much how I was.  With work, I always had my cell phone and a notebook as a moved around, I wanted a PDA for a calendar and appointments, but I got the IPHONE instead.  It has places for notes, scheduling stuff, and is easy as heck to use.  The only thing I am unsure about is your artist contracts, you should be able to have them and send them, but you would need to host them on the web first I think, or maybe mail them to your phone.  Actually, you could also import them using ITUNES I think.

In the end, what each person needs does vary, but I am really happy with my IPHONE, it will get even better as more people develop apps for it.

Well, it does sound like you are happy with it and that is all that matters.  ITUNES would be cool as well.   I forgot about that.  Man....I remember when we thought call waiting was cool and the fact that rotary dial was a thing of the past.  Remember?  Um....well....maybe not.  :-\

Anyway, technology sure has come a long way though.

MichaelF (FPIE)

LOL yep I remember that, it's amazing what we can do now.  I'm posting from my truck now....LOL.

I didn't get the first Iphone because I didn't "need" it, but it's so affordable now it's worth it.

ttjoon

Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on July 23, 2008, 02:39:43 PM
LOL yep I remember that, it's amazing what we can do now.  I'm posting from my truck now....LOL.

I didn't get the first Iphone because I didn't "need" it, but it's so affordable now it's worth it.

Tell me that you are not texting and driving.  I hope you are at a red light or are a passenger.  I'm sure you are a good law abiding citizen.   :)

(Funny...you can't put a cell phone up to your ear and use it while driving but there isn't a law against texting and driving) Go figure.  :-\

Kristen

I found this article that I thought might be interesting to you.  It is a comparison of smartphones similar to the iPhone 3G called "iPhone Wannabes or Smart Alternatives? You Decide"

http://tech.msn.com/products/articlecnet.aspx?cp-documentid=8517070

I'm personally curious about the Sony Ericsson Xperia model.  It's almost August already and it's shrouded in mystery still...no carrier is reported yet.

MichaelF (FPIE)

Quote from: Tracy on July 23, 2008, 04:53:33 PM

Tell me that you are not texting and driving.  I hope you are at a red light or are a passenger.  I'm sure you are a good law abiding citizen.   :)

(Funny...you can't put a cell phone up to your ear and use it while driving but there isn't a law against texting and driving) Go figure.  :-\

Lol of course I wasn't driving, I was parked eating lunch.  Actually there are laws against texting and using computeres while driving.

MichaelF (FPIE)

Quote from: Kristen on July 23, 2008, 05:48:39 PM
I found this article that I thought might be interesting to you.  It is a comparison of smartphones similar to the iPhone 3G called "iPhone Wannabes or Smart Alternatives? You Decide"

I'm personally curious about the Sony Ericsson Xperia model.  It's almost August already and it's shrouded in mystery still...no carrier is reported yet.

I just read that article and a glaring mistake really jumped off the page at me.  The price listed for the IPHONE operating costs is way off.  It's $30 for unlimited IPHONE data use, the only thing extra is voice.  AT&T voice isn't bad.  Rith now with the Iphone, my cellular bill is $90 a month with both my wifes and my phones, we each get 5k minutes a month, which is plenty.  Granted I get a 15% military discount, but still.

ttjoon

Quote from: Kristen on July 23, 2008, 05:48:39 PM

Great!  Thank you!

ttjoon

Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on July 23, 2008, 08:46:31 PM
Quote from: Tracy on July 23, 2008, 04:53:33 PM

Lol of course I wasn't driving, I was parked eating lunch.  Actually there are laws against texting and using computeres while driving.

Now we just have to get them to pass a law to stop people from reading the newspaper while driving. (I saw someone going 80 this morning, doing that very thing!)

Kristen

Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on July 23, 2008, 08:52:12 PM
I just read that article and a glaring mistake really jumped off the page at me.  The price listed for the IPHONE operating costs is way off.  It's $30 for unlimited IPHONE data use, the only thing extra is voice.

I was told by an AT&T rep that texting is additional as well.  This was a big downer for me.

MichaelF (FPIE)

Quote from: Kristen on July 24, 2008, 01:33:56 AM
Quote from: MichaelF (FPIE) on July 23, 2008, 08:52:12 PM
I just read that article and a glaring mistake really jumped off the page at me.  The price listed for the IPHONE operating costs is way off.  It's $30 for unlimited IPHONE data use, the only thing extra is voice.

I was told by an AT&T rep that texting is additional as well.  This was a big downer for me.

Actually your right, texting is seperate.  I pay $5 for 200 text messages, which is plenty for me.  If the other person has any type of Smartphone, you can just e-mail them, it's just as fast and free too.