News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Loud crash at 3am? Could be your exploding head.

Started by PPI Tracy, February 23, 2010, 05:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Tracy

First described in 1920 as a "snapping of the brain," there is little to be found on the phenomenon in medical literature. Some patients experience a bright flash of light along with the loud explosion or crash, according to a 1989 study in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry that looked at 50 patients suffering from the syndrome.

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/02/17/2204845.aspx

PPI Brian

Awesome. Thank you for sharing this article. Very interesting.  :)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tim

I think I've had this happen to me in the past. But with me it sounds like someone knocking on the door.
Interesting.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

Damian

Hmmm, that's yet another thing I've never heard of.  I'm learning so much from all of you!

Applying knowledge of this syndrome hypothetically, if someone were stressed because they felt there was something paranormal going on in their home or their life, and Exploding Head Syndrome is waking them up in the middle of the night, that would just add to their stress, and probably in their mind confirm that there are indeed paranormal occurances happening.  Unfortunately that added stress could perpetuate the Exploding Head Syndrome, creating a cycle of percieved paranormal activity.

Thoughts?
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Karl

I definitely experience this from time to time.  I'm prone to being awakened out of a sound sleep by a sudden cluster headache anyway, but I distinctly recollect the aural phenomenon of a bang as well.  On at least one occasion, I got up out of bed to ask Max in the next room if everything were all right.

I wonder if there's a connection between this phenomenon and headache or brain conditions.

Thanks for posting this, Tracy.  It is interesting.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

ljiljanac

Tracy....I just now got a chance to read this article you posted.  In my 14 years as an EMT, I had never heard of that!  How interesting!  :)

PPI Debra

It is fascinating. I've been rethinking a few incidences in my life. I have not heard the crash, but I have had the flash of light.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

ljiljanac

Me too, Debra!  Sounds?....I dunno.  Flashes, visual effects?....Yup!!  You know what else?  Everytime I'm in the shower and I rub my eyes, I see large diamond-shaped crystal-like diamondy crystals falling in my view.  It's a total visual effect having to do with my eyes, and it's really kind of cool!   ;D

Gary

I can't really recall sounds, but I have very similar instances where I wake up suddenly, from either falling, or since my motorcycle accident, I've actually woken suddenly after crashing into the back back of a large truck.  Happens fairly frequently.  Not very pleasant.  :-\
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

ljiljanac

Crashing into the back of a truck???!!!!    :o    Oh Gary.  I'm sure you have a story to tell.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Lillie on February 25, 2010, 09:52:10 PM
Tracy....I just now got a chance to read this article you posted.  In my 14 years as an EMT, I had never heard of that!  How interesting!  :)

Trippy huh?

ljiljanac

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Lillie on February 25, 2010, 11:22:50 PM
Me too, Debra!  Sounds?....I dunno.  Flashes, visual effects?....Yup!!  You know what else?  Everytime I'm in the shower and I rub my eyes, I see large diamond-shaped crystal-like diamondy crystals falling in my view.  It's a total visual effect having to do with my eyes, and it's really kind of cool!   ;D

I believe those flashy crystal diamond-y things are called phosphenes.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Gary on February 25, 2010, 11:27:32 PM
I can't really recall sounds, but I have very similar instances where I wake up suddenly, from either falling, or since my motorcycle accident, I've actually woken suddenly after crashing into the back back of a large truck.  Happens fairly frequently.  Not very pleasant.  :-\

There something about that thud, and crunch of metal that never leaves you.
:(

ljiljanac

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on February 25, 2010, 11:47:44 PM
Quote from: PPI Lillie on February 25, 2010, 11:22:50 PM

I believe those flashy crystal diamond-y things are called phosphenes.

"Phosphenes"?  I'm going to look it up to see what their all about.  How the heck did you know THAT, Miss Smarty-Pants??  lol   ;)

I imagine thuds and crunching metal, and those sounds just don't appeal to me.  Especially when I'm on my motorcycle.     |8x

ljiljanac

Debra, I looked it up and found that mine sound like "pressure phosphenes".  That is pretty cool!  I have to say I am really impressed at how much you know about these things!!  I feel dumb compared to you.  lol lol lol    ;)

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Lillie on February 26, 2010, 12:32:00 AM
Debra, I looked it up and found that mine sound like "pressure phosphenes".  That is pretty cool!  I have to say I am really impressed at how much you know about these things!!  I feel dumb compared to you.  lol lol lol    ;)

Honey, you are NOT dumb.!
Seriously, most of the stuff I know can't get you a degree, or a job.
:)

ljiljanac

Quote from: Debra, PPI Consultant on February 26, 2010, 12:50:42 AM
Quote from: PPI Lillie on February 26, 2010, 12:32:00 AM

Thank you, Debra.  I definitely do have issues with retention.   :)   Also, to me, degrees are overrated.  I have a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, I can't do anything with that, and I'm no smarter with it than I was without it.  That is for sure!  lol  I know people with GED's and no college that are way more knowledgeable than I am.

I truly enjoy the knowledge that you do have in Metaphysics and all.  It's new stuff to me, and I've never met anyone like you that knows so much about something that, for me, is full of new and unfamiliar concepts.   :)

PPI Debra

[/quote]

Thank you, Debra.  I definitely do have issues with retention.   :)   Also, to me, degrees are overrated.  I have a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, I can't do anything with that, and I'm no smarter with it than I was without it.  That is for sure!  lol  I know people with GED's and no college that are way more knowledgeable than I am.

I truly enjoy the knowledge that you do have in Metaphysics and all.  It's new stuff to me, and I've never met anyone like you that knows so much about something that, for me, is full of new and unfamiliar concepts.   :)

[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. :)