News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

Audacity

Started by paranormalpeg, February 26, 2008, 11:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paranormalpeg

Hey everyone, I need to download Audacity and am a little confused. I went to the web-site for audacity and did as instructed. I clicked on the link for (Lame mp3 encoder). But what next? There are a few different options. Anyone with time to spare.....Please help.

PPI Brian

Hi Peggy,

Did you download Audacity yet? It's the main program file that you need. The lame mp3 encoder is the only additional file you need. This will allow you to save your audio files in mp3 format vs. wav format.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

paranormalpeg

Which version do I need to download first? Then I will download the encoder second.

PPI Brian

Hi Peggy,

Follow this link and download version 1.2.6 for Windows (I am assuming you're using a Windows XP machine). When the download is complete, download the lame mp3 encoder. Here's a link to the Audacity web site: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

Brian Miller

ttjoon

B. Mill,
Were you ever able to figure out the "time stamp" feature in Audacity?  If so, that would greatly reduce the risk of error.  Okay, let me just lay it on the table...I AM A MATH FAILURE!  OKAY?  Okay.  Soooo, that said, if I had to add 2+2 to save my life....Fugaheddaboutit.  ::)

Seriously, a time stamp would make reviewing and stamp process so much faster and easier.  It would make it a no brainer. (not goin' there...my limit is one jab to thyself per post)  ;)

I'll think good thoughts and cross my fingers, ey?

PPI Brian

Hi Tracy,

I'm doing some audio review this afternoon, and I goof around with the program some more, but so far I have not been able import my time signatures. Have you tried using an old fashioned clock face?  :)  I admit that I have used it during those wee hours of the morning when my brain just ain't working right. Seems to help.

Regards,

Brian Miller

ttjoon

Quote from: PPI Brian M on February 27, 2008, 02:16:40 PM
Hi Tracy,

Have you tried using an old fashioned clock face?  :) 
Brian Miller

Errr, ummmm....what's an old fashioned clock face?   ;)

PPI Brian

LOL. You know, a round analog clock face. Rember those kind from the pre digital clock days? I used to use a blank clock face and draw hands on it when I was teaching my duaghter how to tell time. ;D

ttjoon

Oh yeah.  Nowwww I remember the old fashion clocks.  Those are the things that are fun to knock off of the wall!   :D

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Tracy on February 27, 2008, 04:11:31 PM
Oh yeah.  Nowwww I remember the old fashion clocks.  Those are the things that are fun to knock off of the wall!   :D

LOL. My dream is to visit this museum...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOC99OrhXFM&feature=related

hope they've got insurance!

leslie

I tried Karls help tip, but that is not the issue. I will have to figure something out. UGH! Tracy, I might have to come over to your house and listen to my audio. Can you put up with me for a couple hours?

PPI Brian

Hi Leslie,

How did you transfer your audio to your computer? Did you use the Olympus digital wave player software that came with your digital recorder, or did you use software from another source? If the latter is the case, it may be a software related issue. If you downloaded a new copy of Audacity to your computer, you can always record directly into Audacity in "real time" using your headphone jack on your recorder.

Hope that helps...

Brian Miller

leslie

I used Tracy's Olympus software. Ok...looks like I am going to take a trip to Bestbuy and purchase some stuff. Thanks for all your help.

Brian Johnson

Before you go to Best Buy, check out Radio Shack. They have a lot more audio stuff and I 'm pretty sure they are cheaper.

ttjoon

Quote from: PPI leslie on February 28, 2008, 12:08:41 AM
I tried Karls help tip, but that is not the issue. I will have to figure something out. UGH! Tracy, I might have to come over to your house and listen to my audio. Can you put up with me for a couple hours?

Leslie, sorry I wasn't online last night.  We found out some tragic news. A neighbor of ours that we have known for about 12 years has a son who is 6.  Apparently the son is up the street at Choc Hospital in Mission Viejo.  They found a growth on the back of his brain and it is inoperable.  Please say some prayers for him. The father's name is Phil. 

You are welcome to come over.  I think Cary will be able to fix the problem you are having.  It is a lot easier to fix something when you are looking right at it instead of trying to diagnose something over the phone. Going to my art studio this afternoon after work to get some "creative time" in.  I hear the canvases calling my name.  Let me know what time works for you.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI leslie on February 28, 2008, 01:50:11 AM
I used Tracy's Olympus software. Ok...looks like I am going to take a trip to Bestbuy and purchase some stuff. Thanks for all your help.

Did you install the Olympus software for your particular digital recorder? Tracy and I have the Olympus VN series recorders, and the software for our recorders probably won't work for yours because our recorders are mono and yours is stereo. Also, our VN series has a much lower frequency response than your DS model. Here's a link to the Olympus website.  http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1276 Not sure if they have the full installation program for the DS-30, but it's worth browsing. And they have a tech support line you can call. If you are really anxious to get your recorder working with Audacity, go to Radio Shack and pick up a nice stereo patch cable that will plug into your headphone jack. You can plug the cable into the mic port on your computer, start Audacity, and record directly to your hard drive. Check the Help file for more informaion, or just drop us an e-mail.  :)

From what people have been saying, your model of digital recorder works exceptionally well for EVP work, so try not to get frustrated. It will be worth it in the long run.

Hope this helps

Brian Miller

ttjoon

EUREKA!  You are the master of all things electronic, Brian! 

Leslie was right....her recordings DID sound like the Chipmunks on helium.  The first time she played it, I thought we were going to pee our pants it was so funny. 

Leslie you are still welcome to come over.  Just step over the ghosts!

By the way folks....Getting my house blessed (and my neighbor's houses that are also experiencing activity) Saturday afternoon.  Thank God. (No pun intended)

I was over at my neighbor's house yesterday evening and we were talking about the blessing....her dog who NEVER growls, started growling at the corner.  She didn't stop until we quit talking about it. Then she ran and hid under the coffee table. (Ah, the dog, not my neighbor)  ;)

At least help is on the way!

PPI Brian

Hi Tracy,

Did Leslie get the recorder working? I hope so. I also wish you and your family the best on the cleansing ritual. Keep a positive frame of mind and it should be successful. Be forceful and let it be known that it is YOUR house. Don't let anyone or anything uncomfortable in your home.

Regards,

Brian Miller

ttjoon

Brian,
I spoke w/ Leslie briefly last night.  She may come over tonight.

Actually for the blessing, a priest from Taylor's school is coming over.  He completely took me seriously and told me that this is a regular occurrence and his main focus it to do this for people who are dealing with this sort of thing.  The one thing that he couldn't understand is how in the world we lived with all this going on for 4 years.  I'll let you know how things go, but I am very optimistic about it.  I actually feel relieved.  Taylor cracked me up last night.  She goes, "Mom, these ghost are GOIN" DOWN!"

PPI Glenn

Quote from: PPI Tracy on February 29, 2008, 03:03:07 PM
"Mom, these ghost are GOIN" DOWN!"
LOL! Your little girl is such a character!
Glenn Pitcher
Founder, Pacific Paranormal Investigations
R.I.P. (1963-2009)

ttjoon

Yeah Glenn, she's a character all right   ;)