News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

PPI Presents: October 2015

Started by PPI Brian, July 31, 2015, 09:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Yes, were still on for the evening. Talking to Tim we might not be able to check out the AV equipment tomorrow but we'll try anyway. At the very least we'll make sure we're not bumped off the calendar.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Karl

I'm eager to here all about what you reconnoiter.  :)

See you tonight! 
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Cheryl

Sorry we can't meet at noon....on the first Saturday of every month is Dave's car club.....

PPI Debra

Sorry we didn't make it. it. Some how Larry & I thought it was later. :(
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Karl on October 01, 2015, 09:42:30 PM
Quote from: PPI Debra on October 01, 2015, 08:00:27 PM
I can go if Larry is working early shifts. He will ask for at least one off.
I don't think any one can give me rides.  (Being so far away sucks.)
Will keep you posted.

We can be there Saturday for the meeting.

No worries, Debra.  I'm glad you can participate in at least one. Look forward to seeing you Saturday!  (BTW, I think there was some freak incident with my iPhone this afternoon.  I might have sort of fat-fingered my iPhone and dialed you at around 12:45 PM?  Did you remember any weirdness at this hour today?  Sorry, if so. :-\)

My phone did have weirdness. I thought it was a mistake after hearing background noises and no voice.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Debra

PPI Brian

Tim, Marlene and I are here at the Library checking out the AV system. It's working beautifully, and the room they've set aside for us is incredible. I'm really looking forward to Wednesday.  ;D

We just ran through the presentation Tim and I did on the Midway a few years ago. It worked well, but the image was a little squished. Hopefully this is something we can resolve before our presentation begins.

PPI Karl

See you at 7-ish? 

I'll warn you in advance:  I'm still kind of under the weather, but tons better than I was earlier in the week.  I'll be much more energized on Wednesday, I promise.  We have some points, though, to discuss tonight about what to edit out and put into the presentation.  Looking forward to seeing yous soon.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Karl

Workin' right now on Scripps Ranch Library presentation, and in particular a waveform vid of Tim's "I know what to say" EVP.  (This will be the lead in audio clip before we talk about the process of analyzing and identifying EVP. Marlene, see below for more info :)

So far, the people we're certain will be there on Wednesday to participate in the presentation are:
Brian
Tim
Debra (with Larry in support role)
Marlene
Me

Theresa,, Cheryl and Dave, if you still want to be involved, there's always room in the presentation.  Let me know today, and I'll set aside some of the slides for you to discuss, but give me some idea about what you're most interested in discussing.  Jason, you're our wild card: if you show up, and you want to participate, you'll get the Daily Double (t.b.d.).

So, Marlene, since you and I will be delivering the AVP/EVP part of the presentation, I'll bring you up to speed on our overall strategy this time.

There will be four units (or general subjects) in the presentation:

• Research (library resources)
  • Fundamentals (history of investigating, science v. pseudoscience, paranormal pioneers, etc.)
  • Tech (using scientific method, using equipment, capturing data and "evidence", etc.)
  • Audio (EVP, audio phenomena, tricks of the brain, "evidence" and categorizing types of evidence)

We're going to start each of these units with some introductory example, instead of diving into the lecture and instruction right way. 

• Unit 1: Ask the audience for their personal stories and/or cases of interest; discuss.
  • Unit 2: Sylvia Brown, a case example in the use of psychics in paranormal investigating; how psychics can be unreliable and not within the "scientific method"; how they can be used with pseudo-scientific application.
  • Unit 3: Orbs, the video and/or photographic evidence; what does the audience think about them; how compelling is the video/photo, and why?
  • Unit 4: Tim's Queen Mary EVP, "I know what to say"; what does the audience think about the clip; what impresses them; what are they skeptical of; etc.

After each of these, then, the presenters will raise other topics belonging in the unit, and there will be lecture and intermittent discussion or media. 

I'll have a near final draft of the presentation by tonight, which I will Dropbox so that everyone can download it.  It will be in PowerPoint, and, because there are media clips embedded in it, it promises to be big-ass (as well as bad-ass ;D).

Brian
, if you could please make sure that all of the embedded video runs properly in a Windows environment, I'd appreciate it.  :)  How's your back/hip?  (I worry.)

PPI Dave

I would like to make most or all of the events - right now I seem to be coming down with a cold or something...

Karl mentioned perhaps having me talk for a minute about paranormal books, as a follow-on or prequel to Tim's part.  I can talk about recommended books (do you have a list, or should I use my own?) and/or types/categories of paranormal books (general topic, discussions of ghosts at one locale, how-to books, etc.) or whatever.
If you still want me to do a short bit in the presentation, please give me some ideas of what you'd like....

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Dave on October 04, 2015, 05:39:19 PM
I would like to make most or all of the events - right now I seem to be coming down with a cold or something...

Karl mentioned perhaps having me talk for a minute about paranormal books, as a follow-on or prequel to Tim's part.  I can talk about recommended books (do you have a list, or should I use my own?) and/or types/categories of paranormal books (general topic, discussions of ghosts at one locale, how-to books, etc.) or whatever.
If you still want me to do a short bit in the presentation, please give me some ideas of what you'd like....

Hi, Dave:

Cold.  That sounds familiar.  |8x  I think the swamp-monster got to most of us in these last couple of weeks.  I'm so sorry.  Definitely hope you're feeling better soon.

I'm also really glad you'll be participating in the events.  Short answer:  YES!  Books.  You have an eclectic interest in the paranormal, so I'm going to set up a slide or two right after Tim introduces the Lib of Congress classification system for topics in the paranormal and the occult.  Maybe think about a specific topic near and dear to you that you can use to illustrate the range of resources and book titles to look for or request at our local public libraries.  In effect, pick something that you, Tim, and maybe even the audience, can talk about from the perspective of research, which will make a kick-ass topic for the presentation.

If you have a book list in mind, that would be appreciated.  We have one on the main website, but I'd like you to use what you're most comfortable and enthusiastic to use.  If you send it to me by Tuesday, I can have it duplicated at school and we can put copies out on the table for our guests.    P^/

PPI Karl

Okay, Skeptical Buckaroos.  I spent most of the day day on this, but the latest draft of our "PPI Presents" PowerPoint can now be downloaded from our Dropbox account:

Dropbox.com
Log-in: dropbox@pacificparanormal.com
Password: evidence

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsrvz90chs10bbw/Library%20Presentation%202015-Oct-07.pptx?dl=0

Remember, the slides provide talking points, and not a rigid script.  Also, not every single slide in the PPT has to be used; I have some extra slides in their to use as needed or wanted. 

Blotto Sherlock, signing off this broadcast day.  |8x

PPI Marlene

Why is it taking so long to download?  ???

PPI Marlene

Okay Karl.  You are doing the slide on the Pioneers.  I can't even pronounce their names! haha

PPI Marlene

I'm nervous already! I don't speak in front of people.  I guess there's no time like the present!  Yikes! :o

PPI Theresa

Hey guys. Sorry I've been sucking so bad lately & haven't been able to commit to anything. I will be able to make it to the presentation on the 28th for sure!  October somehow became the busiest month ever for us. It has been nuts!  I won't be able to do the Midway one either :(  I'm so bummed. November should be a quieter month so i'll be able to participate more for sure if we get any investigations & hang out time.
I liked U2 before U2 was cool

PPI Karl

You, my dear, are still on medical leave!  Best believe, no one thinks you're shirking your duties. We know you've got a busy life to catch up with right now, too.  :) 

I'm SO happy to hear you'll be on board for Oct. 28th, though, 'cause it means you'll be feeling well enough to let those lungs o' yours work.  (Besides, with better working lungs, you don't want your first experience to be catching a cold from us, which almost all of us are suffering from right now.) Maybe we can meet up some time before the Oct. 28th presentation to discuss which parts you'd like to be involved in?  I can tailor the slides to your particular interests.

You've got a couple weeks, though, to ponder it. 

Stay well!

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Marlene on October 05, 2015, 06:50:02 PM
I'm nervous already! I don't speak in front of people.  I guess there's no time like the present!  Yikes! :o

No worries.  I've got my blunderbuss, should anyone in the audience kick outta harness.  We all support each other's explanations and discussions anyway, so it's very collaborative among us presenters.  You'll be great.  Just remember to have fun with it.  Ain't no one gonna judge you. 0:<

PPI Marlene

Thanks for the vote of confidence Karl. Love my evp slides. 

PPI Karl

So . . . The logistics for today:

Since we're all coming from our jobs at separate locations, it probably makes the most sense to come separately and meet up at Scripps Ranch Public Library.

• Scripps Ranch Library
    10301 Scripps Lake Dr.
    San Diego, CA 92131
    (858) 538-8158

Showtime is 6:30, so 5:30 PM is optimal to arrive for everyone involved in the tech setup, and between 5:30 and 6:00 PM for everyone else. (By the way, for the next two presentations, we start at 6:00 PM, so the whole schedule of activities gets moved up by 30 minutes then.)  I'd like us to have time beforehand for our failure of equipment and nerves to happen first, and to go over the slides for any last minute strategizing, enterprising, anything-but-tranquilizin'.

I'll be working until 3:45 today, after which time I'll head home, grab some chow and change into my PPI threads.  I also made one or two tweaks to the PowerPoint, mostly just embellishments, but no actual changes to content.

PPI Brian

Cool. See you there. Should I bring back up speakers and or projector? I left all that at the office yesterday.

PPI Theresa

Hey guys!!  Break a leg tonight!  Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks!
I liked U2 before U2 was cool

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Brian on October 07, 2015, 05:07:40 PM
Cool. See you there. Should I bring back up speakers and or projector? I left all that at the office yesterday.

We've never needed a back-up plan before, Brian.  8)  Errrr?wait, what?

PPI Brian

Stellar job tonight guys. Dave, Debra, Tim, Karl and Marlene you were so good. I'm so sorry I blabbed way too long tonight. You guys rocked.

PPI Tracy

Wish I could have been there tonight.  Taylor had a vocal concert tonight at school she was in so I was committed for the night.  I wanted to drive down.  Sounds like it went well.  Can't wait to hear about it. 

PPI Brian

I think it went very well, but it was about a half an hour shorter than usual. I lost track of time and I cut into the best part of the presentation -- the EVPs. 

PPI Debra

Brian, you were great. No Worries!
It was a good night.
:)

PPI Karl

Hey, Tracy!  How do?  Good to see you back.  :)

Solid job, everyone, last night.  (Brian, don't make me start singing the anthem from "Frozen.")

PPI Marlene

haha Karl love it!  "Let it go, Let it go".........    I had a great time and thought everyone did awesome!  I always love listening to what everyone has to say.  After I got home, I realized that I had wanted to talk about more things and forgot to bring them up.  Oh well.   I'm bummed now that I have to miss the next two!  Great job team! Love you all!

PPI Tim

That is how it starts Marlene. It is not as scary as you think. Practice makes perfect. Doing the presentations is fun. :)
Sounds interesting...Go on.