News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

PPI Presents: Audacity for Paranormal Investigators March 28, 2014

Started by PPI Brian, March 20, 2014, 03:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Join us for an enlightening presentation on the use of open-source audio editing software Audacity for paranormal investigations.

The presentation will take place on Friday March 28, 2014 from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm at Grossmont College Room 575.

RSVP via the PPI Facebook Page or download the pdf map of the Grossmont College campus.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Debra

"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

Shellshock

XoXo

PPI Brian

PPI Theresa

Hey which parking lot would you recommend that we park in?   ???
I liked U2 before U2 was cool

PPI Karl

Parking Lot 5, in the parking structure.  The second floor has a bridge-walk so that you don't have to climb steps (though, there is an elevator) to the main campus level.  (Campus Security has its offices in the parking structure, too, which is a bonus. ;))

You'll probably see my office door open, anyways, at the top of the staircase from Parking Lot 5.

El Map-o:
http://www.grossmont.edu/campus_info/docs/Campus%20Map%201-12.pdf
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Theresa

PPI Karl

Breaking News from Dave Steinmetz, IT Superman and Mensch at Grossmont College:

"It sounds like IS plans to put a wireless access point in 575 by tomorrow night.  My guess is that it will happen tomorrow based on room availability.  I?ll follow up with them mid-morning to check on the status.

I was reminded that none of the wired network connections at the desks in 575 have ever worked.  During the room remodel cabling was run and brought to each desk, but they are not connected to any switches on the other side.  It was installed as future ability.

-Dave"

Whatever success we have tomorrow night being able to connect to our wireless hotspot is owed chiefly to him.  I'm'a gonna thank him in our presentation.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

Awesome! I will bring downloads of Audacity for PC and Mac on a flash drive, along with the LAME encoders for MP3 files for both Operating Systems too.

See you all tonight.  ;D

PPI Theresa

Looking forward to it!  I apologize in advance because I'll probably look like a hot mess tonight. It's craptastically busy @ work today (the ICU is nuts today) & I am so tired.  Baby has decided to start waking up in the night to eat. I'll more than likely be in my sexy scrubs (if I don't have time to change) & can't promise my hair will be brushed. LOL!
Anyway I'll see you all tonight :)

PPI Theresa

Hey guys there's a lot of chatter on the Sdgap website right now for the event & people are saying that the campus police WILL ticket cars without a sticker. One person said they called & talked to the campus police & were told they will ticket without sticker. can we confirm or deny this before tonight pretty please?

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Theresa on March 28, 2014, 04:37:08 PM
Hey guys there's a lot of chatter on the Sdgap website right now for the event & people are saying that the campus police WILL ticket cars without a sticker. One person said they called & talked to the campus police & were told they will ticket without sticker. can we confirm or deny this before tonight pretty please?

I just spoke with Karl again and he assured me that parking permits are not required after 5:00 pm on Friday. Here's a link to the Grossmont College website:

Its on the Grossmont College website.  Parking Areas

Permit parking is enforced on all District property:

Monday - Thursday from 7 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Friday and Saturday from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday and District holidays - no citations are issued for failure to display a parking permit. All other parking and traffic violations will be enforced.

I will post this to the SDGAP website.

The person who posted on the SDGAP website said she called back after checking the website and the Campus Police retracted their previous statement. It's all good.  :)

PPI Karl

And just to satisfy my own anal retentive curiosity, I called Parking Services, and they confirmed over the phone that parking would be FREE! tonight.

FREE!
8)

PPI Karl

Hi, Brian:

I went back to campus today (Saturday) to retrieve your battery recharger from Room 575.  So, that's now safely in my possession.

Campus security let me into the room, and then just left me by myself to do what I needed, so while I was in there, I investigated the tech problems we had with my Mac laptop, and I figured out all the problems.  It took me almost half an hour, but it's done.  I wrote down all the directions for next time.  It all came down to a mother-may-I arrangement of buttons on the Smart Cart and a specific order of settings that had to be made in the Displays and VGA preferences of my Mac.  Next time we do this, I know now hot to make it all work properly, and how to use BOTH of the screens at once.

I STILL don't know why we couldn't make it work on the actual PC from the Smart Cart.  I guess that's a task for another day. <sigh>

I hope everyone understood the learning curve aspect of last night's presentation: first time on that equipment, first time in that room, first time for the PowerPoint; etc. :-\

Thanks, again, for all your help.  I hope you're having a restful weekend.  Let me know when you need your battery recharger.  

PPI Brian

Hi Karl,

Thank you so much for recovering my battery charger. I feel pretty stupid leaving it behind, but all the driving I've been doing for the last three months has left me in a state of mental and physical exhaustion.  :P I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to retrieve it, and I'm also glad to hear that you figured out why the Mac started acting weird at the end. I'm also glad to hear that you figured out how to use both projectors simultaneously. That will be very impressive for the next class. I really enjoyed the Audacity class, and can't wait to do it again.  :)

I spent the remainder of my weekend clearing weeds and trying to turn the keystone brick pile in my back yard into the garden wall it was intended to be. I also hoped to finally lay out some pavers so I will have a place to set up the telescope and some chairs for the total lunar eclipse on April 14th. Although not physically "restful", psychologically it was just what I needed. Of course I didn't finish, but there's  still time.  :)