News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Maritime Ghost Conference September 15, 2012

Started by PPI Brian, September 22, 2012, 01:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

Anyone have any evidence from the Maritime Ghost Conference they'd like to share? Please feel free to post it here. The SMF program we use has a limit on file size, so try to keep your clips to less than 5 megabytes. This shouldn't pose a problem for audio files or still images. If they are larger, you can email them to us and we can post links from our web host.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Brian

Eric from the OC Soul Searchers put this video together, and has asked us if it's ok to make the video public. It documents a possible AVP in the boiler room. Karl and Tim, what say you?

http://www.youtube.com/v/LelozGuac6E

PPI Karl

Thanks for taking care of this, Brian.  I meant to spend some time this weekend on this and the front page of the site, and . . . well, life and work intervened in an unexpected way.  (I'm still waiting for that pause in my schedule.   :-\)  I'll log on later today and update a few things, after I get home from work at 3:30.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tim

If found the clip of "Mommy" EVP on my recorder. It is clear as day. I'll see if I can post it. I also got bootsteps.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Brian

That's awesome. I can't wait to hear them.   :)

PPI Tracy

PPI Tim

PPI Tim

Okay Guys,
Here is the clip  and script from the Berekley. I think the "Mommy" is class A. There is a voice before this. To me it sounds like a little girl. It is faint though. Best to hear with Headphones.
First Clip.
Pistol shrimp popping

EVPlittle girl voice: "I can hear you."
EVPWomen's voice: "Mommy"
NS: "Oh my goodness! "Are we sure that there are no not anybody up there?"
Eric:"Did someone just say Mommy?"
Mystery Women(I don't know who? please speak up): YES!

PPI Tracy

Wow Tim.  The "Mommy" is really clear.  And it was an AVP to boot. Awesome catch!

PPI Tim

I thought a AVP was a odd sound and a EVP was a voice saying a word or sentence.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Tim on September 28, 2012, 03:34:24 PM
I thought a AVP was a odd sound and a EVP was a voice saying a word or sentence.

Hi Tim,

We used to define AVP as Anomalous Voice Phenomena but our definition has evolved over the years. We now use the following definitions:  

AVP: Audible Voice Phenomena: a possible paranormal sound or voice that is clearly heard by investigators during an investigation.
EVP: Electronic Voice Phenomena: a possible paranormal sound or voice that is heard during evidence review after an investigation.
CTX: Contextual Sound: a non paranormal sound or voice that could be interpreted as paranormal unless otherwise indicated. Examples include yawns, sighs, and layered voices composited together by recorders with low frequency responses.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Tim on September 28, 2012, 03:08:58 AM
Okay Guys,
Here is the clip  and script from the Berekley. I think the "Mommy" is class A. There is a voice before this. To me it sounds like a little girl. It is faint though. Best to hear with Headphones.
First Clip.
Pistol shrimp popping

That's a great catch, Tim. Nicole Strickland sent us her audio clip of this AVP. I attached it here for you. I will review my audio and post my capture of this AVP later tonight. :)

MGC_Sat_BR_Child_Mommy.mp3
BM: What's your mom's name?
CTX: [sound of pistol shrimp]
EVP: [child's voice] Mommy
NS: Oh my goodness. Are we sure that there's no... that there's not anyone up here?
EJ: Did someone just say Mommy?
TC: Yeah.
BM: Mommy
[recording repeats 3 times for context]

PPI Tim

You guys didn't pick up a child's voice before the Mommy?

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Tim on September 28, 2012, 06:42:26 PM
You guys didn't pick up a child's voice before the Mommy?

I haven't had a chance to listen to my audio yet. I plan on skimming through to this point and isolating the same clip, then giving the rest a thorough review later in the week. I'll let you know what turns up on my Zoom recorder.  :)

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Tim on September 28, 2012, 03:08:58 AM
Okay Guys,
Here is the clip  and script from the Berekley. I think the "Mommy" is class A. There is a voice before this. To me it sounds like a little girl. It is faint though. Best to hear with Headphones.
First Clip.
Pistol shrimp popping

Oh my! Dude, I can hear the little girl's voice in your audio, Timmy. It gave me goose bumps! Excellent capture!  ;D  Karl give Tim a gold star.

Here is the solar and geomagnetic forcast for Saturday September 15, 2012:

:Product: 0915RSGA.txt
:Issued: 2012 Sep 15 2200 UTC
# Prepared jointly by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA,
# Space Weather Prediction Center and the U.S. Air Force.
#
Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity
SDF Number 259 Issued at 2200Z on 15 Sep 2012
IA.  Analysis of Solar Active Regions and Activity from  14/2100Z
to 15/2100Z:  Solar activity was very low. Low-level B-class x-ray
flares occurred during the period. Region 1566 (N23W76 - Hrx/alpha)
produced occasional B-class flares as it approached the west limb.
Occasional B-class flares also occurred from a yet-to-be-numbered
small spot group that rotated into view late in the period. Region
1569 (S12W00 - Eao/beta-gamma) showed minor spot growth in its
trailer portion and retained a beta-gamma magnetic configuration.
New Region 1572 (N15W70 - Axx/alpha) was numbered. There was no
Earth-directed CME activity observed during the period.
IB.  Solar Activity Forecast:  Solar activity is expected to be very
low during days 1 - 3 (16 - 18 September) with a chance for isolated
C-class flares.
IIA.  Geophysical Activity Summary 14/2100Z to 15/2100Z:
The geomagnetic field was at quiet to (briefly) unsettled levels.
IIB.  Geophysical Activity Forecast:  Geomagnetic field activity is
expected to increase to unsettled levels around midday on day 1 (16
September) with a chance for active levels due to the arrival of the
CME associated with the filament disappearance observed on 13
September. Field activity is expected to decrease to quiet to
unsettled levels on day 2 (17 September) as CME effects subside. A
further decrease to quiet levels is expected on day 3 (18
September).
III.  Event Probabilities 16 Sep-18 Sep
Class M    10/10/10
Class X    01/01/01
Proton     01/01/01
PCAF       green
IV.  Penticton 10.7 cm Flux
Observed           15 Sep 098
Predicted   16 Sep-18 Sep  095/095/095
90 Day Mean        15 Sep 122
V.  Geomagnetic A Indices
Observed Afr/Ap 14 Sep  005/005
Estimated Afr/Ap 15 Sep  006/007
Predicted Afr/Ap 16 Sep-18 Sep  011/015-007/010-006/005
VI.  Geomagnetic Activity Probabilities 16 Sep-18 Sep
A.  Middle Latitudes
Active                30/10/10
Minor storm           10/01/01
Major-severe storm    01/01/01
B.  High Latitudes
Active                20/20/15
Minor storm           30/20/15
Major-severe storm    30/10/05

I'm beginning to think that maybe it's not sunspots or solar activity per se that provides the energy needed for paranormal activity to manifest, but the geophysical activity. Think of it like this: the sun shoots off some energetic flares. It takes several hours to several days for the energy to reach the earth and impact our magnetic field. This in turn causes an oscillation in the Earth's magnetic field, and possibly feeds paranormal activity. It's just a hypothesis, but at least it's grounded in measurable environmental science, and not some kind of metaphysical speculation beyond measurement. It's something we should keep an eye on in the future.

PPI Karl

Per my Catholic school upbringing, Tim gets the "smiling angel" stamp.  Good stuff, Tim.  Has anyone else from the conference posted evidence from this investigation?  Curious to hear them, since so many of us claimed to have heard this AVP. [Whoops.  I should've looked further up into the thread.  Thanks for posting Nicole's audio!] I wish I had more time theses days to sit down and listen to my evidence, but I guess this is why I front-loaded the semester with the fun activities. <heavy sigh>

I like your hypothesis about geophysical activity, Brian.  Whatever morphic field of paranormal "energy" exists on the planet would have to be a manifestation of energy connected to the planet.  Otherwise, people would see more ghosts outside their jet windows.  In fact, I'd love to know if there are any reports of paranormal activity aboard the space shuttle or Space Station.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

Nicole emailed three more audio clips from the Berkely, and Kathy Cybele emailed one from the Star of India that I haven't been able to post here yet. I will do so ASAP. I hope to take some time this weekend to isolate this clip from my audio and get it posted.

I can sympathize with you, Karl. These last two weeks have been absolutely brutal, and there won't be any rest until after the November elections. On a positive note, we won our NLRB election for the aircraft mechanics at Brown Field on Thursday.  :)

PPI Brian

I stayed up really late last night reviewing some audio from our investigation of the Berkely and picked up a couple of interesting anomalies. Here is my capture of the AVP in the Boiler Room. I have not corrected the time stamp to the actual time of the capture, so the time stamp reflects my cue time. Although you can hear the sing-song EVP that Tim captured in my recording, it is not as loud as it is on Tim's, which suggests the source was closer to his recorder than mine. The AVP, however, sounds very compelling in my recording. You can clearly hear sounds I associate with articulated speech, and it sounds much closer to my recorder than it did at the time we heard it. This one leaves me scratching my head.

120916_AVP_BR_004656_BM.mp3
BM: What's your mom's name?
CTX: [sound of pistol shrimp]
EVP: [child's voice - sing song] I can hear you.
AVP: [child's voice] Mommy
NS: Oh my goodness. Are we sure that there's no... that there's not anyone up here?
TC: Shh. Shh.
EJ: Did someone just say Mommy?
TC: Yes. Shh.
BM: Mommy

PPI Tim

Cool Clip Brian,
Yes, I believe you are right. I was closer to the "I can hear you" EVP.
Did anyone else catch the "I can hear you." EVP on their recorders?

PPI Brian

I'm not sure yet, but Theresa said she was going through her audio so we should hear from her soon.

The most amazing thing about this AVP is the fact that it seemed to be a direct response to my question. The clarity is amazing. At this time I have no alternative explanation for it.

PPI Karl

I'm envious--both, of the content of these clips and the spare time to review them.  Seriously.  It's this sort of evidence that becomes awe inspiring and motivating to keep up with the investigating!

Speaking of which, I really apologize for being a deadbeat president lately.  I realize it doesn't change anything by telling you I'm trying my hardest right now to keep up and participate.  I know I'm not the only one here with a crushingly difficult work schedule right now, so I apologize if I sound like I'm whinging.  Paper grading has come due on top of a host of other responsibilities, and in the middle of it all, I've been really sick this past week.  Actually, it's a problem that's been bothering me for months not.  I'm not sure what it is yet, but you've probably noticed how much more I've been coughing and losing my voice.  I come home every day from work and my head hits the pillow for hours; I get up every morning feeling hung over.  I suspect it's related to these medications I'm supposed to be taking for a (recent) diagnosis of asthma, but they're not doing anything to stop the sensation of wanting to cough all the time--which, I think, is more related to a degenerative condition going on in my back, but I still have to schedule x-rays or an MRI to find out. 

Anyway, it's all starting to make me feel really guilty that I can be the participant I want to be.  It's got me down, doobie-doo, down-down.  Please don't think I'm alienating myself or withdrawing in any way.  My heart and mind is still with y'all, even if the flesh is not willing as of late.

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Karl on October 02, 2012, 02:42:12 PM
I'm envious--both, of the content of these clips and the spare time to review them.  Seriously.  It's this sort of evidence that becomes awe inspiring and motivating to keep up with the investigating!

Speaking of which, I really apologize for being a deadbeat president lately.  I realize it doesn't change anything by telling you I'm trying my hardest right now to keep up and participate.  I know I'm not the only one here with a crushingly difficult work schedule right now, so I apologize if I sound like I'm whinging.  Paper grading has come due on top of a host of other responsibilities, and in the middle of it all, I've been really sick this past week.  Actually, it's a problem that's been bothering me for months not.  I'm not sure what it is yet, but you've probably noticed how much more I've been coughing and losing my voice.  I come home every day from work and my head hits the pillow for hours; I get up every morning feeling hung over.  I suspect it's related to these medications I'm supposed to be taking for a (recent) diagnosis of asthma, but they're not doing anything to stop the sensation of wanting to cough all the time--which, I think, is more related to a degenerative condition going on in my back, but I still have to schedule x-rays or an MRI to find out. 

Anyway, it's all starting to make me feel really guilty that I can be the participant I want to be.  It's got me down, doobie-doo, down-down.  Please don't think I'm alienating myself or withdrawing in any way.  My heart and mind is still with y'all, even if the flesh is not willing as of late.

Hi Karl,

We can all relate to the unrealistic work loads and the fatigue that never seems to go away. I'm doing my best to keep up but it feels like I'm running in place. I hope you find out what's going on with your back -- other than tooth aches and cluster headaches, I'd have to say back aches are the most debilitating type of pain I can imagine. You can't get comfortable and you can't get enough rest. We do miss your presence on the boards, though, and we look forward to getting together again soon. In the meantime try to get some rest and drink lots of raw vegetable juice.  :)

I also agree that evidence like this is very exciting. It appears our long standing theory about the corelation of solar activity and paranormal activity may have some validity after all.  :)

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Tim on October 02, 2012, 07:03:48 PM
Please get better Karl,
So we can meet and get to working on the presentation :D

Oh my. We've got to get busy on that, don't we? Time is running short...

We received a series of emails from the folx who participated in the investigations aboard the Star and the Berkeley. I will try to post them and credit their source later tonight.  :)

PPI Brian

Here's the first audio clip we recieved. It's from Kathy Cybele, a participant from the Friday September 14th investigation aboard the Star of India. With us that night were Rachel, Tina, John, Betsy, Paul, Kathy and Brendon. Did anyone else capture this audio anomaly? I turned my recorder off just before we went below decks, so I missed it. After Kathy mentioned this anomaly I kept my recorder on for longer periods of time.  :-[

Hello guys,

Thank you for an informative and exciting investigation Friday night.  I'm
the lady who thought she heard someone say "Help Me".  I've gone back and
pulled out that section.  It is a breathy whisper, but I say to my husband
right after that "I just heard someone say help me, did you hear that?"
when I spoke to Brian he said the time stamp was at 11:09 - so the
event happened about 38 seconds before that time stamp.

Listening to it over and over it might say something else - but because I
clearly heard "help me" at the time I'm gonna go with that.

Once again thank you for a terrific evening.
Kathy

Here's the transcript from this possible EVP capture:

Help_Me.mp3
EVP: [female voice - loud whisper] Help me. [or another possibility] Okay.
TM: [speaking with other participants on the 'tween deck]
KC: I just heard someone say help me. Did you hear that?
BC: No.
BM: [speaking with other participants on the 'tween deck]
KC: Can I ask you a question?
BM: Yes.
KC: When someone was coming down the stairs did they say 'help me'?
BM: Did... I'm sorry?
BT: What?
KC: Did one of the last people say 'help me'?
BM: No.
KC: Okay.
BM: I just said, uh, be careful because it's wet.
KC: No.
BM: Nobody said 'help me'.
KC: Okay. I was standing right there and I heard 'help me'.
KS: Interesting.
BM: Did you have your recorder on?
KC: Yeah.
BM: Ok, good.
KS: Excellent.
BM: The time that you noticed that right now is 11:09.

Note: I converted the file from it's original wav format to mp3 to conserve server space.

PPI Karl

Thanks for your well wishes.  I spent the last couple of days pretty much on my back trying to get comfortable . . . after getting home from work, that it is.  You pretty much put your finger on it, Brian:  my entire body was throbbing because of my back.  Yesterday was actually an improvement, but today my back is clicking.  I think my days of carrying heavy bags on my shoulders are officially over.  From here on out, if it doesn't have wheels, I'm not using it.

I have another long day today, with a major Reading event tonight at the college, but I'm looking forward to the weekend and catching up on some of our PPI biz, not the least of which is commenting on these audio clips! 

Tim and Brian, are either or both of you available Friday or Saturday night this weekend, to work on the San Carlos Library presentation?  Let me know.  I'm eager to work on the presentation, despite what I sound like at the moment.  :-\

PPI Tim

Interesting clip. When I hear clips like that I wonder how can we help them?

PPI Brian

Me too.

I have a whole lot of clips to post from Marlene that need to be converted from wav to mp3 before they can be posted. They're just too big to post otherwise. I hope to get some time to do that over the weekend. Some of them are very interesting.  :)