News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

My parent's Barn Owls

Started by Gary, January 06, 2011, 04:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Hey all, thought I would share this with you.  I may have mentioned before that my parents have been trying for months to get some Barn Owls to nest in their yard.  Well, they finally purchased and built an owl box and posted it up.  It has recently become occupied by a couple of Barn Owl's.  And egg was just laid last night.  They have a live streaming web cam setup for you to see.  Check it out.  It's a really cool way to watch nature without disturbing it.  Enjoy!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jill-s-owl-box
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Brian

That's too cool, Gary. Thank you for the link. I love Barn Owls, so I will be sure to check back on them to see how they're doing.  :)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tracy

That is awesome, Gary!  I'm going to tune it. 

PPI Karl

Amazing, Gary.  What a fascinating project!  I really enjoyed this.  Thanks for posting this!
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Karl on January 06, 2011, 12:32:39 PM
Amazing, Gary.  What a fascinating project!  I really enjoyed this.  Thanks for posting this!

Fascinating! I love owls. I think it's so cool that your parents are doing this. :-)
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Brian

Has Willow laid any eggs yet?

Gary

You can see them in the webcam.... there are 5-7 eggs right now!
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Brian

LOL! Every time I looked all I saw was an owl sitting very still. It's amazing she laid so many eggs. How long until they hatch?

Gary

I was talking to my mom the other day and I believe she said in a week or two.  I just sent an e-mail to confirm.  They have some much bigger plans for the next family that comes through.
Gary \m/

PPI Brian

That's cool. I will be sure to check in more often.  :)

PPI Brian

I've been following the escapades of Bear Grylls and Willow and I'm amazed by the size of their growing family.  :)

Gary

Quote from: PPI Brian M on March 04, 2011, 02:09:31 PM
I've been following the escapades of Bear Grylls and Willow and I'm amazed by the size of their growing family.  :)

My parents and their owls have become celebrity's.  They have received so many hits and visitors from around the world.  It is really an awesome thing for my parents!  I'm glad you have enjoyed it.
Gary \m/

Gary

Soo, all the babies have left the box, I think!!  My parents put up a new, bigger and much nicer box and they are already at it for another batch of eggs.  Lot's of cool photos at the blog!

http://www.bearandwillow.blogspot.com
Gary \m/

PPI Debra

They are adorable!!!  :).
(And they help keep the rat and mice population down.)
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

PPI Karl

This has been a really cool project.  It must feel like having a little bit of National Geographic in the family. :)  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the next one.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Brian

That's absolutely amazing, Gary. Your mom and dad's owl box has helped them raise large clutches of owlets, which means lots more owls to eat the nasty rats and dreaded gophers. I was thinking about your family's owl box the other night when a barn owl flew low over my front porch. I was amazed becuase it so large and beautiful and it didn't make a sound as it flew. Owls are amazing creatures.  :)