News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

New Photo of the Loch Ness Monster?

Started by PPI Brian, November 26, 2010, 03:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

A Scottish man took this picture recently, and believes it is the infamous "Nessie" prowling about the surface of the water. Is he correct in his assumptions, or is there a natural explanation for his anomalous photograph?

Here's a link to the story:
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/preston-lnm/
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

Gary

Looks like rocks.  The photo was taken at a pretty great distance, and what looks like a cell phone.  I thought maybe it was an illusion/reflection of the house on the hill, but whatever is in the water has it's own reflection. 
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Brian

I agree. It would be nice to see another photograph of the area to see if it is indeed rocks or something floating in the water.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tracy

I agree with Brian.  I'd like to see other photos from other angles.

Gary

I figured it out.... it's an Iceberg.  Don't they have those all over the place in Scotland?   ::|
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Tracy

Honestly, I've been to Loch Ness and from what I can remember, the water is really dark and doesn't appear to be that blue, even on a sunny day.  Maybe photos can look different.  Do we know for sure that it is indeed a photo of the Loch? 

Damian

Just hypothesizing here...  Looking at it from a purely Darwinian perspective, I don't think it'd be Nessie because of the coloring.

Nessie, if she exists, would most likely be an omnivore or carnivore which would mean that she must pursue prey to survive.  And due to the length of time she's been in existance, she must be adept at surviving in her Loch environment.  Knowing this, and the fact that the Loch Ness waters are notoriously dark and muddy, her coloring can't possibly be as light as what you see in the picture, or Nessie would be seen by her prey before she even got near them.

The aquatic world shows us repeatedly that the most adept hunters and the greatest species survival stories are those of hunters who are camoflauged in their environment.  Nessie would have to be dark in her coloration to stand even a sliver of a chance at hunting in those waters.
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Tim

I think it looks like the result of a low lake level.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Tracy

Now that makes sense Damian.  Absolutely. 

Tim, it could be rocks or something like that due to low water levels.  You might be right.