News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Shadow people and Thunderstorms

Started by PPI Tim, September 30, 2010, 04:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Tim

Hey Guys,
I was wondering something.
Do people report more sightings of Shadow People during Thunderstorms?
Sounds interesting...Go on.

Gary

Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Tracy

I don't know about anyone else, but thunderstorms really unnerve me.  It is the loud noise that bothers me.  Always has for some reason.  I think that being frightened gives a person a "hyper sensitivity" if you will. Thus causing them to be more alert and possibly misjudging their surroundings.  If lightning goes along with a thunderstorm, during the day, the light flashes could also lend itself to shadows on walls and different surfaces.  Just my 2.5 cents.

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Gary on September 30, 2010, 04:53:03 PM
Yes.   ;)

I did not know that. I've only seen them:

a) late October on the street by a street lamp (first time I ever saw one straight on, and  it freaked me out!)
b) in my home when the EMF's were surging off the collapsed conduit, but not after it was fixed.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

Gary

I actually am not 100%, but I spent some time thinking about it and Thunderstorms do produce a ton of energy.  I think I posted something on this last year.  I'll have to look for it.
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Tracy

About an hour ago at my office we had major thunder and lightning.  So much so that it knocked out the transformer for about a half mile radius all around us.  Our 5 story building was without power for about 45 mins.  No phones either.  (poor co-worker was stuck in the elevator).  Anyway, the silence was so odd.  You are used to having all this noise and then it's eerily quiet.  What's interesting is that when I looked down our hallways here, I thought I saw a person here or there, just standing up either against a wall or in the middle of the room.  Looked again and no one there.  It also took on this really weird feeling.  Maybe just the fact that the power was out, leant itself to foster that strange feeling. 

Deb - that is interesting that you saw a shadow person straight on and they stayed there instead of disappearing.  Wow.  I think I would be unnerved as well.   |8x

PPI Brian

Very interesting topic of dicussion. I'm not aware of more people reporting shadow people during thunderstorms storms, but if the sightings are in any way related to elevated EMF levels, that would make a lot of sense. I wanted to do some baseline EMF readings at my house during thunderstorms to see how it affects the ambient EMF environment, but I was on the road all day and when I finally dragged my road-weary ass home the storms had subsided.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Karl

Funny you should bring this up, Tim.  This is something I've wondered for years now.  Whether I'm the one influenced by the ionized, electrically charged air, or whether it is the alleged "spirit energy" that's using it, I dunno, but in my old place in Hillcrest I witnessed a lot of shadow activity during and after thunderstorms, as well as throughout the stormy seasons of the year.

I would love to find a study about the effects of lightning on the brain and if it triggers mild hallucinations.  That doesn't address, of course, the very specific phenomenon of shadow anomalies.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tim

If there is anything on this topic. I figure that most of the reports were during the most active part of the Thunderstorm. When the lightning is really going off. I also think that part of the images seen are images left on your retinas after the flash from the lightning. Brian wrote something about that.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Tracy

PPI Brian

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Karl

If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tracy

You're welcome.  

That IS an interesting article Brian that you posted.

Gary

I found this that Karl had posted on my last post about ghost hunting during thunderstorms, thought I'd throw this into the mix.  

Quote from: PPI Karl on November 13, 2009, 01:56:28 PM
Well, for a long while now there's been this assumption that an ion generator optimizes environmental conditions for paranormal activity in the same manner as storms, because it stimulates electromagnetism, the putative medium for "spirits".  It's a common misconception, though, that thunderstorms are responsible for this.  In fact, it's the lightning, not the thunder, that ionizes the air and stimulates electromagnetism.  I don't really know if there have been any longitudinal studies to confirm one way or the other that ionizing the environment actually works.  I suppose it's possible that the EMFs involved are responsible for the illusion of paranormal activity for those who are sensitive to them, but I don't actually know if ionizing works.  I fear it might be as dodgy as White Noise Generators.   Does anyone else know?

Gary \m/

PPI Karl

I forgot about that.  Thank you, Gary.

Quote from: PPI Gary on October 05, 2010, 09:44:45 AM
I found this that Karl had posted on my last post about ghost hunting during thunderstorms, thought I'd throw this into the mix.

Quote from: PPI Karl on November 13, 2009, 01:56:28 PM
Well, for a long while now there's been this assumption that an ion generator optimizes environmental conditions for paranormal activity in the same manner as storms, because it stimulates electromagnetism, the putative medium for "spirits".  It's a common misconception, though, that thunderstorms are responsible for this.  In fact, it's the lightning, not the thunder, that ionizes the air and stimulates electromagnetism.  I don't really know if there have been any longitudinal studies to confirm one way or the other that ionizing the environment actually works.  I suppose it's possible that the EMFs involved are responsible for the illusion of paranormal activity for those who are sensitive to them, but I don't actually know if ionizing works.  I fear it might be as dodgy as White Noise Generators.   Does anyone else know?

PPI Brian

Excellent! I also forgot about this. Once upon a time PPI had a picture of an ion generator on our equipment list, and a description of how "PPI believed that ion generators produced the 'thunderstorm effect', which PPI believed increased paranormal activity in a home or business" or words to that effect. I don't recall it ever being used during an investigation, do you? 

Most off-the-shelf ion generators are very weak, and the negative ions they generate drop out of the air almost immediately. The Ionic Breeze may be an exception. I have been thinking about buying an ion detector to use in our baseline studies, but they are very expensive and their response time is very slow. I saw this one at Less EMF but I don't know if it :

Budget Air Ion Tester  $99.95

This has got to be the simplest and lowest cost way to measure Air Ions. Very easy to use and so small it's barely bigger than a finger. Especially good for testing ion generators and air purifiers which claim to produce ions. If you need higher sensitivity, use the Air Ion Counter, below.

Tech Specs:
Tiny shape with LCD panel
Maximum reading of 1,999 counts
Range: 1 x 104 to 1,999 x 107 (ions/cm2)
Reads net + or - ions
Easy to hang as a necklace or keep in hand