News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Pacific Star II

Started by Gary, June 15, 2010, 10:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Not actually in the news on this one, but I think we recently posted about a guy who sent up a normal $40 digital camera and a weather balloon and set it free.  The images he captured were amazing.  He has done it again, and put together a sweet video.  Check it out.

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12421661&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1"%20type="application/x-shockwave-flash"%20allowfullscreen="true"%20allowscriptaccess="always"%20width="500"%20height="405"
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Tim

That is cool Gary. I liked the fact that they were able to retrieve it once it came down.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

Damian

Being able to capture images and video of the curvature of Earth, all on your own...AWESOME!   :o
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It cuts the hand that wields it." --Rabindranath Tagore

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." --Ralph Wiggum

PPI Brian

Love it! My family is from Santa Paula, CA. I thought I recognized the mountains of Ventura county as the weather balloon was taking off. Looks like the southern California coastline in his upper atmospheric still images. His camera box must have drifted east as it fell back to earth.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that with us, Gary.  ;D
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Debra

Amazing and beautiful.
Thanks, Gary.
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

ljiljanac

That is WAY cool!   :)   Hey Brian, I used to work in Fillmore and Santa Paula.  haha!  Small world!