News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Rainbow in the Night Sky

Started by Gary, November 05, 2009, 10:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Found this, it's pretty cool.

A ghostly image captured on camera by a photographer in North Yorkshire shows a night-time rainbow created by the light of the moon.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6494396/Rainbow-in-the-night-sky.html

Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Tracy

Wow.  My God, that is beautiful.

PPI Karl

Stunning.  Is this what people call a "moon-dog," or am I thinking of something else?
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Karl on November 05, 2009, 10:52:01 AM
Stunning.  Is this what people call a "moon-dog," or am I thinking of something else?

I thought that was a "Moon-Pie"?  Sorry....bad joke.  I'm just hungry.

So, before Karl hurts me baaaaad........is it called a "Moon-Dog"?

Gary

Moon dog
From Wikipedia

A moon dog or moondog (scientific name paraselene, plural paraselenae, i.e. "beside the moon") is a relatively rare bright circular spot on a lunar halo caused by the refraction of moonlight by hexagonal-plate-shaped ice crystals in cirrus or cirrostratus clouds. Moondogs appear to the left and right of the moon 22? or more distant. They are exactly analogous to sun dogs, but are rarer because to be produced the moon must be bright and therefore full or nearly full. Moondogs show little color to the unaided eye because their light is not bright enough to activate the color photoreceptors in humans.

Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Brian

Ah yes, a moonbow.  :)

I have tried to capture them on camera but I have never been successful. They are beautiful, aren't they?
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tracy

Moonbow!  I like that!   :D

Yes, it is quite beautiful and I have never seen anything like it.

PPI Tim

That is a night time rainbow. It is not a moonbow. I have seen a moonbow. It is white in color and has no other color.
This picture has color in the bow
I would have loved to have seen that. I believe those are quite rare.
I love things like this.
I'am a weather nut. :)
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Brian

It's a long exposure photograph -- that's why it picked up color that the eye cannot percieve, like pictures of nebula in outer space. A moonbow is a night time rainbow. Some are brighter than others, but all are cause by light refracting from a bright moon rather than the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbow

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Tim

The one I saw, with my own eyes, in Yosemite was at night with no fog and it had no color but white. It was awesome. The only rainbow colors I have ever seen at night were around the moon. I guess if you have a camera taking a long exposure you would get more color. I would still like to see a full color rainbow at night.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

Shellshock

XoXo