News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

If you're lookin for some "Hot Stuff"....Kepler has found it

Started by PPI Tracy, August 10, 2009, 11:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Karl

Thanks for posting that link, Tracy.  I've been eagerly following Kepler's progress for some time now, and I'm excited at the prospect of what it might will discover during its mission.  I'm a little miffed with CNN for not getting the story right, though--even though it's typical of them. ::|  The "hot Jupiter" orbiting star HAT P-7 was actually already discovered some time ago by ground-based telescopes using traditional planet-hunting techniques, but Kepler's ability to corroborate this planet's existence on its own and add to the data with more detailed information about its composition and atmosphere is what makes this test of Kepler's abilities such a success.  It confirms that its instruments are as effective and sensitive as they hoped, so that when it actually picks out smaller rocky planets with Nitrogen base atmospheres that are in the habitable zone, we can confidently wet our pants and jump for joy.   ;D  I think it's just a matter of time. 

What does concern me, however, is that I haven't heard of any follow-up missions in the works, after Kepler is "decommissioned."  There's a huge load of sky out there that needs watchin', and Kepler will observe only a smidgen of it during its total time operating. :-\
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.