News:

Thinking of inviting PPI to your home or business? Visit "Client Resources" on our main website for helpful articles and guidelines, or click "Request Help" to contact us about setting up an investigation.

Main Menu

Glenn Pitcher - President of Pacific Paranormal Investigations 1964-2009

Started by dwalters, June 26, 2008, 11:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelF (FPIE)

Poor Glenn.  The slow motion part was awesome.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

dwalters

I freaking LOVE Brian Miller's laugh on that video...it's freaking HILARIOUS!

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Dave on June 27, 2008, 01:13:53 AM
I freaking LOVE Brian Miller's laugh on that video...it's freaking HILARIOUS!

Dude, that was so hard to keep my composure... I saw Ellie standing there and Glenn didn't notice her. When he turned around and jumped out of his seat I just lost it.  ;D I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thank you guys! The scary look on Ellie's face is classic. The video is awesome! ;D
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

ttjoon

I don't know if I laughed more at the look on Ellie's face, Glenn's reaction, or Brian just busting up!

How long had you been back there Ellie and how did you get there without Glenn even noticing you?  I'm calling you "Stealth Woman" from now on!

Too friggin funny. 

PPI Brian

It is with deep regret and a heavy heart that I must inform you all of the passing of our dear friend and colleague, Glenn Pitcher. I received a call this morning from Glenn's family informing me of this terrible loss.

Although Glenn appeared to be recovering from the surgery, in the end it proved too much for him. He suffered cardiac arrest early this morning and the doctors were unable to revive him. I wish I could tell you more, but I don't know more than this. I am finding this incredibly difficult to write, but I promised to let everyone know. The family said they would keep us informed regarding services and other arrangements. I will update everyone as this information becomes availalble.

Please keep Missy and Kimmy in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time.

Brian

PPI Tim

Words escape me.
This came out of nowhere.
What a Monday :'(
Sounds interesting...Go on.

Shellshock

. . . :'( :'( :'(

I am so truly sorry .. He is definitely going to be missed.  Please let his family know, that myself and my family are sending them our deepest sympathies and prayers.
xoxo~Shell
XoXo

PPI Tracy

Glenn was a wonderful human being. He was a man of honor, integrity, and deep devotion to those he loved, which was basically everyone in his life.  He was a loving soul, a forgiving soul and would do anything for anyone.   I cannot fathom why God takes the good ones.  I will never know and will never understand.  Glenn was such an incredible friend and confidant to all who knew him.  We have lost an amazing friend, a brother, but heaven has gained an angel. 

PPI Jason

Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Brian

So am I.

I wish I had a few words of comfort to share, but I have been unable to find any. This is such a shock to all of us. So sudden and unexpected. Speaking to Glenn's family this morning was so painful. I can only imagine what Missy and Kimmy are going through.

Brigham

I hope this doesn't seem too flippant at a time like this, but does anyone know if Glenn filled out that affidavit? If there was anyone with the willpower to say hello from beyond, it would be Glenn.
Anybody wanna peanut?

PPI Karl

No, I never receive one from Glenn. 

I keep starting and stopping things I want to say about Glenn.  This is another one of those times.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Jason

Brigham,

Yeah Brigham, I think you're right. Glenn is definitely a determined spirit. But right now probably isn't the best time for paranormal investigations. Glenn's passing was as subtle as a whisper but had the effect of a meteorite slamming into a medium sized town. Right now there are pieces everywhere and shellshocked survivors just trying to get their bearings. I know things will get better, but this one is clearly going to take some time.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

Brigham

I'm not suggesting a seance at his funeral. I just think in the future we might keep a look out for evidence.

I'm sorry if I seem a little insensitive. I'm kinda numb right now, so it's hard for me to tell.
Anybody wanna peanut?

PPI Jason

Quote from: PPI Brigham on March 02, 2009, 09:57:50 PM
I'm not suggesting a seance at his funeral. I just think in the future we might keep a look out for evidence.

I'm sorry if I seem a little insensitive. I'm kinda numb right now, so it's hard for me to tell.

Don't worry Brigham. I know you weren't suggesting a seance or anything like that. I think the next few days are going to be filled with us stepping all over our words trying to say what we mean and trying to hear past our grief to try and understand what others are saying. We are all handling this in our own way. Some of us probably going back and forth between sorrow and shock; some of us just staying in shock. My comment wasn't meant to make you think I considered you insensitive. You're fine.
-Jack Handey

Brenna

Brigham, Stop. I understand you mean well. I know that you're trying to be comforting. But, your words are not having your intended effect. Let them find their own comfort. I feel like we're both intruding. Please, everybody: know that we're here in support, and that we both liked Glenn very much.
PPI Reserve Investigator

PPI Jason

Brenna and Brigham,

You guys are in no way intruding. Personally, I always enjoy listening to Brenna chew Brigham out on the forum even though I know full you are both like a room apart :). It cheers me up for some reason ;).

You are both a huge part of this team and your support will be greatly appreciated.

Jason
-Jack Handey

PPI Jason

Quote from: Shellshock on March 02, 2009, 05:10:39 PM
  . . . :'( :'( :'(

I am so truly sorry .. He is definitely going to be missed.  Please let his family know, that myself and my family are sending them our deepest sympathies and prayers.
xoxo~Shell

Thank you so much for your sentiments Shell. It's very thoughtful of you and much appreciated.

Jason
-Jack Handey

SCP_Dave

Hi PPI, I know this particular moment is so extremely intense with all the emotions one could possibly muster up right now. I'm in a huge fog myself. I've known Glenn for the last 4+ years of his and my life. We started PPI together along with Brian Johnson, Elleicia Glidewell Karl Sherlock and Tony Smith, and when Karl called me today to tell me this devastating news I just didn't know how to react...I didn't know what to say...I didn't want this to be real! There are a lot of regrets, a lot of laughs, a lot of EVERY sort of emotion I have ever felt in my life mixed with others I have never felt... all hitting me at once today/tonight! I have been visiting Glenn in the hospital as well as all of you for the past month and I will always remember the last time I visited him most of all. Ellie, Karl and myself were all there by his side and he said "I'm so glad we're all in the same room talking again" and I didn't think much of it until today. Glenn and I were supposed to go have a nice seafood dinner once he returned home from the hospital...I was looking forward to it SO much! There were times during the infancy of PPI where I would IM Glenn with concerns about the success of PPI and the future of PPI. I was ready to throw in the towl and give it all up...but Glenn's reassuring words kept us trucking along "Give it time Dave...all will be great!" and he was so RIGHT ON about that. Karl called me today at work and informed me about what had happened this morning....He called around 1:30pm and I couldn't cope at work. My boss had to send me home. I came home and immediately started watching tapes from some old PPI investigations. I popped in one tape in particular that was from the time Johnson, Glenn, Johnsons friend and I all went to the U.S.S. Midway, then another one from Oceanside...then another one from Hunter's Steakhouse...then another one from San Ysidro Storage....I can't express how deeply saddened I am, how much loss I feel, how much regret I feel....like i said..I'm in a HUGE fog right now....I wrote something...I had to write a little something to try and let myself get accustomed to this loss. I wanted to share it with you all here at PPI because I know he's touched us all the same way if not similar ways!

Here it is...it's called "goodbye"

goodbye...

goodbye my friend, you have shown me so much about how we should live...
goodbye my friend, you have taught us to always think positive....

goodbye my friend, you have demonstrated so much heart and soul...
goodbye my friend, your presence will be missed by us all...

goodbye my friend, we have been through so much...
goodbye my friend, you'll have no idea how many of us you've touched...

goodbye my friend, we miss you now more than ever...
goodbye my friend, we will remember you now and forever...

goodbye my friend, may you rest in peace for eternity...

goodbye my friend...

goodbye Glenn.

I am in no way a poet, and I don't do any sort of creative writing at all...so I apologize if this is corny to you, but it's very important for me to share it with you all. The last few weeks of my membership/presidency of PPI there was so much confusion and to this VERY day it is not 100% clear from either party who said what and what was said by who....but one thing is for certain!! That s**t is not important anymore, and hasn't been important for months! I will miss Glenn every day! I will remember him every day! Unfortunately I don't know half of you, but that is not important at all right now...Glenn is someone we all had in common, and he will be missed SO F***ING much!

Good night everyone! I hope to someday meet you all! Until then, please take care of yourselves and practice peace and love with everyone you meet! Life is way too short for regrets!

David Walters,
EX-President of PPI

ldwalkup

I'm in shock.  This was never expected.  I kept expecting to hear from him on the forum.  The other day I was wondering how he was doing.  Please give my regards to his family.  Unbelievable!!

SCP_Dave

I just wanted to share this little clip with you all. This was taken in Oceanside a few years ago. Brian Johnson, Glenn and myself were teamed up this particular night. I've been watching tapes all night long and this one seriously stood out to me. A FAST internet connection is required in order to view!

http://www.scparanormal.com/images/GoodbyeGlenn2.mov

PPI Brian

Brenna and Brigham, thank you both so much for your kind words and thoughts. You are not intruding on our grief; on the contrary, you are valued members of our family and we need you now more than ever. Jason said it best when he said we will all be stepping on our words trying to say what we are feeling. No worries. We will get through this together.

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts Dave. We are all struggling with our emotions and don't know what to say at this time. We are all in shock and disbelief. Your poem was not corny at all.

Jason, thank you for helping us make sense of what we're feeling and trying to express. You have helped us more than you can possibly know.

Linda, it was such a shock for all of us. Glenn was making great strides in his recovery. The last thing any of us expected was to have such a bombshell dropped on us. Glenn was one of the kindest, most forgiving people I have every had the honor to know. He was so kind and full of grace. He had a heart of gold, and his passing has left a huge hole in our hearts. We miss him very much.

Everybody please keep Missy and Kimmy in your thoughts and prayers.

Brian

PPI Karl

The reality of it is hitting me today, I have to be honest.  Shock yesterday, unrelenting grief today.  I feel such horrible pain for Missy and Kimmy, and I feel everyone else's loss among us almost as keenly as I feel my own.  I'm even writing this through tears right now.  How to go on?  How to imagine getting together in future without Glenn?  How to imagine PPI going on without him?  Of course, it will, and we will, but . . . for now I feel like everywhere I turn I'm staring into dark corner.

One thing I do know is that Glenn felt very, very strongly about us being family.  I'm not one to wax sentimental about family:  I know it has as much dysfunction as it does joys.  And calling a group of unrelated people "a family" is an old cliche, and often nothing but rhetoric for group cohesion.  But, in this case, I genuinely do feel like I've lost a brother--closer in ways than my actual brother.  Glenn and I were both caregivers to our spouses, and when things were going badly at home, I always knew he needed to talk about it because he would ask me, "So, how's Max?"  It was code for "Karl, I'm having a caregiver's meltdown, and I need to vent.  Please ask me how Missy is doing so I can talk."  And, of course, I would, and I'd do the same with him when I needed.  At the same time, I was always amazed by his dedication to anything he was involved with--total devotion to his family; total dedication to PPI; complete and total involvement in his job.  In fact, he had been taking classes this past year to receive certification for expertise in tech security, which he hoped would lead to a better job so he could take care of his family.  It was something he dedicated long hours and weeks of study in preparation to pass those tests.  Amazing.

I was always proud of Glenn for the kind of person he was--never judgmental; always caring; always genuine--and the kind of person he hoped to become.  And, in turn, I always wanted to make Glenn proud of me for and my contributions to this group.  Funny.  I'm four years older than Glenn, but I still thought of him in a lot of ways as though he were an older brother.  I can only say now what others have already said:  my heart is genuinely breaking.

As more information comes to light about services and donations, you can be sure they'll be announced here. 

If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

PPI Tim

Thanks Karl, Brian M, Dave, Brian J, Jason, Tracy, Brenna, Brigham and all who cared about Glenn.
Your posts were very thoughtful and spoke very highly of a man who was a good friend to us all.
I wish I had been able to know Glenn longer.
I will always remember him as a Big Man with a Big Heart who had soul that was Bigger still.
We all meet people along the way who teach us things about life. Glenn was one of them.
From what I see, Caring about Family and Friends is the lesson that Glenn reminded us about and to cherish the time you have with them.
One day they are here.....the next day they are gone.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

PPI Karl

I will have more to write pertaining to the circumstances of Glenn's passing; Glenn's wife and I had a rather difficult talk about it today.  Also, there should be more info next time I speak with her.  A short time after my call, Missy and her father were scheduled to meet with the hospital about an autopsy, and the results of that meeting (as well as the autopsy, later in the week) will be shared with us once they come back.  However, for now, this is as much as I can bring myself to write.  I had a very tearful time of it with Missy, and I just want to make sure I convey all the facts coherently.  Thanks for your patience, everyone.  Meanwhile, I can share the following.

A "Celebration of Life" ceremony will be held in Glenn's honor, tentatively March 14, 2:30 p.m., at Community Church of Poway.  A reception will follow immediately afterward.  Attendance is open to members of Glenn and Missy's church, employees of Medimpact, and members of the extended PPI community (including SCP, TAPS West, and people who knew Glenn who worked with these groups).

Anyone who wants to speak at the ceremony, or include special remembrances for the casket, should let the family know in advance.  Glenn will be dressed in cozy flannels and blue jeans, and his wishes were that people attend in bright, festive colors.  Flowers should, likewise, be brightly colored and fragrant flowers (such as roses), but please no carnations.  Glenn's express wishes are that no one wear dark or otherwise somber attire.

After the "Celebration of Life" ceremony, Glenn will be cremated, and one small ceremony for extended family and friends will be conducted in Poway.  (I'm not sure which cemetery.  I'll try to find that out next time I talk with Missy.)  Then, another private ceremony for Missy and Kimmy will be held at Big Bear Lake to spread the remainder of Glenn's ashes.

A fund for Kimmy has been set up by Glenn's employers at Washington Mutual Bank, and anyone wishing to contribute to it may go into any branch and ask to donate to the account under Kimberly Pitcher (Account No. 4942145544).  You don't need the account number, but it's there in case there are any problems).  Cheques can also be written out to the account.  Further questions about helping Kimmy can be directed to Missy's parents, Noel and Grace Goodell [Sp?], 858-487-3398.

SCP_Dave

PPI Karl

Quote from: SCP_Dave on March 03, 2009, 07:32:56 PM
Thanks for the info and details Karl. Thank you.

It's no problem, Dave.  Providing information seems like the only thing I can do to feel of any use right now.  Otherwise, I just have this unrelenting and grinding feeling of futility.

Anyway, here's Part 2 of yesterday's post.  I'll try to relay as much of Missy's explanation as I can concerning Glenn's last hours. 

Missy was with him the night before and talking about his upcoming transfer and rehab, then kissed him goodnight at around 9:30 and returned home.  During the next hour, his nursing staff checked with him about managing his pain, using the customary 1 to 10 scale.  Glenn's pain was a 7, which is about what it has been.  Sometime during the night, however (I think she said 1:30), a nurse asked him again how his pain levels were.  Oddly, Glenn stated that they were at 2, a very low level.  The nurse thought it was unusual that Glenn would have so little pain, and was going to administer the medication, but Glenn refused it, and said, "I don't think I'm going to need it." 

At every juncture in Glenn's hospitalization, Glenn had the right to refuse treatment of any kind--including the operation that initially saved his life. So, the taking of pain medication was a similar arrangement.  (In fact, not only do I remember Glenn saying he had come to the decision, himself, that it was time to move forward with the surgery, but I also clearly recall that Glenn was using a self-delivery system of pain meds.)  Per Glenn's wishes, the nurse turned off the pain med delivery system.  At 4:35 a.m., Glenn's vitals stopped, and a Code Blue was called in to revive him, but obviously without success.  Missy was contacted soon after by Glenn's doctor, who broke the news to her in a somewhat callously straightforward manner; she feels the doctor might have thought something suspicious happened, but of course did not offer any actual theories.  This is why, however, an autopsy had been scheduled.  Glenn was a registered organ donor, and Missy was contacted about this, but organ donation had to be postponed until after the autopsy is performed.

Right now, no one seems to understand why the fatal heart attack occurred.  Glenn was recovering, and the doctors very clearly said that his heart was in good enough condition to undergo the surgery.  So, why would it have failed him suddenly?  What went wrong?  Missy feels that Glenn somehow knew he was passing and refused the medication for those reasons.  There is some chance that medical malpractice is involved, but right now, Missy explained, she feels so vulnerable and is in so much emotional pain that she has to try to stay optimistic that it was just his time.  She and her father met with the hospital late yesterday afternoon (4:45 p.m.) to discuss the autopsy plans, and I believe Missy's parents are looking out for her and will handle any legal matters that may arise.  I did try to broach the topic of malpractice and litigation for Kimmy's welfare, but backed down from it very quickly.

And then there's Kimmy.  Kimmy's favorite aunt has come in to town to take care of her and do the lion's share of consoling her.  She's having as difficult a time wrapping her head around this as you would expect a 9-year-old to.  (I confess, I'm having a hard time grasping it.)  She keeps asking her mother, "Why can't they fix Daddy's heart?"  and "Can't he come back?"  It makes me sob even to write it.  All in all, it's going to take some time for her to get used to the idea--all of us, actually.  But, I just cannot imagine the horrible pain Missy is going through having to try to comfort her daughter.  Missy and Kimmy were making plans for a "Welcome Home" party for Glenn.  And the news came.

I guess that's all I know for now.  I asked Missy what we could do to help, and she seemed just grateful that we were calling her and talking.  Her church pastor has been making visits to support and console her, and family, of course, is there to help as well.  As you might expect, she's a lost soul at the moment.  She must be terrified and grief-stricken all at once.  I'm sure she'd appreciate a kind word, if you have the strength and the wherewithal to call her, or you want to send her something, here's the info:

Missy Pitcher
12753 Via Sombras
Poway, CA 92064
(858) 312-6764

Just make sure you introduce yourself as one of Glenn's PPI friends.  She didn't cognize who I was at first, and she felt a little embarrassed when she figured it out five or ten minutes into our conversation.   Needless to say, her mind right now is elsewhere, else-when.  I promised to call her later in the week to discuss the autopsy results.  I guess I'll write more then.

88jarrett24

I wanted to post my sadness and condolences for the Pitcher & PPI family and friends. I did not know Glenn personaly but had the honor of meeting him twice when he came out to my home with the PPI family to do investigations. He impressed me with his kindness and concern for my family. He truely cared what my family was going through and wanted to help anyway he could. He was very professional and knew what he was talking about. I did not know the impact he had on me until I heard the news of his passing. People come and go in your life and it's people like Glenn that leave that everlasting impression in your heart. RIP Glenn. I know you are in a better place.     

PPI Karl

Thank you to all who have visited recently to publicly offer your condolences on the passing of our dear friend.  Your kind words and your support during this time have not gone unnoticed, even though we haven't been able to respond to each and every condolence.  We're currently working to put together a tribute to Glenn, that will likely appear on the home page of PPI as well as on our PPI MySpace.  However, right now, despite our strength of purpose, we're struggling to rise above our own dispirited feelings of loss to put together that tribute in a timely manner.  Nonetheless, all your good thoughts and your sympathetic words are greatly appreciated, and demonstrate why Glenn treasured our extended family of PPI members as much as we do.  Thank you for standing by us during this tragic loss.