News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

Floating Feet

Started by PPI Brian, June 20, 2008, 11:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelF (FPIE)

They will figure it out, hard work and perseverance.  Just keep putting one foot in front of the other so to speak.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

ellie

Maybe it was a bunch of cult sacrifices.....did they say if it was mostly the right foot or the left?

PPI Tim

I think it was mainly the right foot.

They made a movie about the left foot.
Sounds interesting...Go on.

johnny

ok you all and your foot puns are making giving me foot envy so I thought I'd just post up some odd foot stories ;) Articles are in the links.

The sharks figured out how to take over mankind but are still in the beginning stages:
http://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/malaysian-fisherman-reels-in-shark-with-webbed-feet/

God has one sick sense of humour or scientifically it's a medical dilemma but at least this woman seems to be doing ok with it. Those feet they found floating weren't backwards and upside down or anything were they?
http://www.wunderkabinett.co.uk/damndata/index.php?/archives/1157-Backwards-feet.html
Heaven won't take me and hell's afraid I'll take over.

PPI Tim

AHHHH!

If I had feet like that....

Where's the knife?
Sounds interesting...Go on.

Kristen

Isn't that a form of club foot?  My husband was born with a mild case of club foot and had to have a casted bar between his feet for a period of time.

Did you see the 'camel girl'?  That to me was uber creepy looking...like something out of a creepy movie.  That had to be hard to live with, being so different.
Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be understood.  ~Marie Curie

Brian Johnson

Has anyone heard anything about this lately???

Kristen

I haven't seen any updated articles on the subject, but here is a video from a video journalism webiste
http://www.vancouveriam.com/videos/4f290ae1c050
Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be understood.  ~Marie Curie

PPI Brian

Wow, that was an awesome video. Thanks for sharing that with us, Kristen.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Brian

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, another detached foot washed ashore on the West Coast since the first grisly discovery a year ago. The left foot New Balance running shoe, thought to be a woman's, has been turned over to the Coroners Service of British Columbia, so that any residual tissue inside the shoe can be processed for DNA.

Here's a link to the story:  http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=1a32ca6f-af2a-4381-a462-31baf01cdd47
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

PPI Jason

Wow,

I was totally unaware of this story! What strikes me as most odd is the fact the feet became detached due to "Naturally processes" as if it were some type of sick "Got Milk" commercial.

I just imagine a TV commercial with a guy walking down the street, his feet fall off, and two kids inside a nearby house look on in horror through their kitchen window as they feverishly gulp down their milk.

Another thing that strikes me is the type of running shoes found. I'm in to running and see a lot of different running shoes. All the shoes I've seen in the videos look like pretty top of the line running shoes. And those aren't the type of running shoes people buy and wear around the house or go fishing with. They are very light, become very uncomfortable when wet, and are not very durable so not well suited for uses other than running. This sure has all the trappings of serial killer. But I think it's good the police are keeping an open mind since there are so many unknown variables.

I wish I were working this case. I love a puzzle. But my heart goes out to the victims and their familys and surely hope police come up with some answers soon.

Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
-Jack Handey

PPI Tracy

Quote from: PPI Jason on November 14, 2008, 05:07:58 PM
Wow,

I was totally unaware of this story! What strikes me as most odd is the fact the feet became detached due to "Naturally processes" as if it were some type of sick "Got Milk" commercial.

I just imagine a TV commercial with a guy walking down the street, his feet fall off, and two kids inside a nearby house look on in horror through their kitchen window as they feverishly gulp down their milk.

Another thing that strikes me is the type of running shoes found. I'm in to running and see a lot of different running shoes. All the shoes I've seen in the videos look like pretty top of the line running shoes. And those aren't the type of running shoes people buy and wear around the house or go fishing with. They are very light, become very uncomfortable when wet, and are not very durable so not well suited for uses other than running. This sure has all the trappings of serial killer. But I think it's good the police are keeping an open mind since there are so many unknown variables.

I wish I were working this case. I love a puzzle. But my heart goes out to the victims and their familys and surely hope police come up with some answers soon.

Jason - that "Got Milk" scenario is quite the visual.  It's disgusting yet oddly amusing at the same time.  i guess that says a lot about MY warped sense of humor?

Having read all of the instances of finding these feet, have me thinking that some may be the work of a serial killer, but I also wonder how many may be copy cat crimes or even hoaxes.  They have found at least one instance of a hoax, if my memory serves me correctly.

PPI Karl

I know this is an older topic, but youl'll never guess what I watched tonight during my dinner:  A Nat. Geo. Explorer episode on this very topic about the seven disembodied feet that washed ashore in Vancouver, B.C.  I know, I know--staying in on a Saturday night to watch esoteric forensic documentaries before taking my weekend bath means I have officially turned into my father, but it was actually interesting enough to save on my DVR.

If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

ljiljanac

I take it they never solved this one?

PPI Karl

The salvageable DNA did not match any of the DNA in their missing persons data base, but I think they cross-referenced the DNA of some relatives of missing individuals who were strong candidates and may have solved one or two.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

ljiljanac

Wow.  I don't know that I would really find any kind of closure if the medical examiner gave me a family member's foot as "the body".   :-\