News:

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced investigator, the "For Investigators" area of PPI's main website is a learning resource center designed with you in mind, containing dozens of useful forms, guidelines, how-to's, and articles with topics such as investigative techniques, the peer review process, data and media cataloguing, team management, and much more!   

Main Menu

i just bought "The Ghost Hunter" by Hans Holzer

Started by Todd, March 10, 2008, 06:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

has anyone read this book? if so what did u think :-D
Love is giving someone the power to distroy you, but trusting they wont

ttjoon

I am reading it right now and probably will be for some time, being that it is the size of War and Peace.  ;)

So far, I really am enjoying it.  I'm only about a quarter of the way through it.

Todd

thats good to hear  thanx for the input tracy :-D

-Tod

ttjoon

Todd-
Have you read "Ghost Hunting"" by Jason Hawes/Grant Wilson?  You probably have, but if not, it is really good.  (hope i didn't screw the title up)

MichaelF (FPIE)

Yea I read Ghost Hunting in one night.  Just something about it made it hard to put down.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

Todd

actually i havent gotten a chance to read it yet i might pick it up on friday thanx it looks really good
-Todd

ttjoon

Quote from: MichaelF on March 11, 2008, 07:28:46 PM
Yea I read Ghost Hunting in one night.  Just something about it made it hard to put down.

I did too!  It was so good.  I couldn't put it down either.  I have heard that the are coming out with a new book shortly.   

MichaelF (FPIE)

I hope the new book covers stuff that wasn't on the TV show.  The last half of the first book was straight from TV.  Was still worth reading, but I want some new stuff.
200 years ago, our communication over computers would have been deemed magical and we all would have been burned at the stake.  200 years from now, explanations for what we call Paranormal will be in Science Textbooks.

Todd

lol ya if i wanted to hear stories from the show i would watch the show not read the book lol

ttjoon

Even though the last half of the book covered what the tv show did, it was still good.  The first part was from way back before the show but you also got a lot of insight into things you might not have otherwise.  The new book should be interesting. 

MichaelF (FPIE)

Quote from: PPI Tracy on March 12, 2008, 01:50:28 AM
Even though the last half of the book covered what the tv show did, it was still good.  The first part was from way back before the show but you also got a lot of insight into things you might not have otherwise.  The new book should be interesting. 

Ohh yea, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the last half of the book as well.  I just liked the first half better.  WOW with the haunted apartment building.

Todd

sweet im looking forward to reading both of them

ttjoon

Todd

ttjoon

It ia about the search for the elusive Vlad Ţepeş, the historical Dracula. 

The novel is presented as 1st-person account written in the year 2008. The narrator (Familia named after her grandmother) is a historian whose father, Paul, unwittingly ended up searching for the vampiric Vlad Ţepeş. Although the narrator's adventures begin in 1972, there are three distinct storylines narrated in parallel, alternating chapters:

The narrator's actions in 1972/1973 when at the age of sixteen, she began to travel with her father through parts of Europe and, later, from Amsterdam to Southern France with an undergraduate from Oxford, Stephen Barley.

Paul's travels during the 1950s, when as a graduate student, he travelled (initially) to Istanbul then to Budapest and then parts of Eastern Europe in search of his mentor, Professor Bartholomew Rossi, who may or may not have been kidnapped.

Professor Rossi's own travels in Eastern Europe during 1930.

All of the story is told through letters, excerpts from books and academic literature, and above all, the narrator's reconstructions of stories told to her by her father. Details of the plot and of Dracula's nature, motives, and history are slowly revealed.

The book has numerous settings all across Europe, many of which are complicated by Cold War tensions after World War II, the period when much of the action occurs.

This book has won many awards and has been published in 28 languages.  All in all, I thought this book was absolutley fantastic.

Todd

oooooooo that looks really gooooood im gonna have to pick up a copy
thanks tracy ill tell u what i think after i read it

-Todd

ttjoon

Quote from: DarkReap3r on March 12, 2008, 06:30:05 PM
oooooooo that looks really gooooood im gonna have to pick up a copy
thanks tracy ill tell u what i think after i read it

-Todd

Todd-
How are you liking the Hanz Holzer book and did you ever pick up The Historian?

Todd

i really like it so far i havent been reading it alot cuz ive been so busy and i still have had a chance to snag that book ill have to do it this weekend lol

-Todd