News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

Music!

Started by sjunkins21, February 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjunkins21

Hey all!
I just wanted to get a feel for everyone's music tastes.  I've spent the last 3 nights going to some pretty amazing shows and was hoping everyone had some good concert stories to share!
"Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back."
-Dr. Peter Venkman

dwalters

I have got some SERIOUS concert stories...from Local Bands, My old band, and big time shows.....where to begin is another story. I'll start with this one:

Ellie and I once dressed up as employees of Coors Amphitheater and we TOTALLY snuck into a sold out Dave Matthews Band show a few years back. We walked in through the employee entrance, walked through a kitchen and straight to the public restrooms where we waited and pulled drinks out of our backpack along with a change of clothes LOL....we saw the Sound Check and one HECK of a show that night!

My first concert EVER was Pink Floyd back in 1994 at "Jack Murphy Stadium", now called Qualcomm Stadium. I remember the show pretty well, but back then I was a major major major pothead so I was pretty toasted for the whole show. I remember my buddies (they are all a few years older than me) had bought me a few "40's" and I was seriously trashed for that show. Most of my friends dropped some LSD (shame shame on them), and they said it was the absolute best concert ever....but when I asked them what they opened the show with, none of them could remember LOL....it was "Astronomy Domine". I remember getting out of school (college) a little early and hauling ass over to the stadium for some serious tailgating. That will always be a great memory of mine!

Just last week, my buddy's band played in Battle of the Bands here at the 710 Club, and they won $1,000 for coming in first place...that was great!

Jeeze....I've more stories to come, like the times I met Billy Corgan, had a drumstick signed by Jimmy Chamberlain...jumping on stage and getting a picture next to Jimmy's drumkit LOL, right now it's late and I need some ZZZZZ's

ttjoon

My brother who plays base for a local OC band, (they have had three names). They are now called "Tractor Pull Champs"  yeah...okay
The second band name they had was "Phoebe?s Frown"
The first was Psychocity.  Pronounced "sigh-kah-city" (for my money, they should've kept that one)

They used to play up at club 369, The Doll House, Lizard Lounge, and a lot of other dives.  They used to play shows with Lincoln Park, Sugar Ray, and a lot of other born and bred OC bands.  Get this...No Doubt (before they signed their first record deal) actually opened up for Psychocity at Club 369. 

My brother's band was very diverse.  Their first drummer is now playing in the "Tina Yothers" band and the second drummer they had was the nephew of the legendary Poncho Sanchez.  Columbia records actually told them that they didn't FIT the rock band look and they would have to get rid of their keyboard player.  They said no way and well, they never did get that record deal.  They played on KROQ on a local bands segment, but that's about it.  Their music was a mix of everything really.  They are really good.  I guess it just wasn't in the cards for them, but they had great experiences along the way.

My only claim to musical fame is that after a James Taylor concert, I was walking out of Irvine Meadows (before it was renamed Verizon Amp) and James Taylor nearly walked right into me on his way to the tour bus.  We almost had a "Your Peanut Butter is in My Chocolate" kind of collisions.   

TAPS Jen

In high school I sang back-up for Barry Manilow (easy on the jokes, please!) and Jose Carrereas when they were at Radio City Music Hall.  I listened to opera for the first time because of Jose - such a nice man!! I've also done back-up for friends' bands that I really like. My brother's bands have always been pretty awesome - he used to hang out w. the guys from 3-11 so I listen to that. He's in the NYC area. My husband's band The Forget has an old skool 70's rock sound to it.

My first concert was the Further Festival in Liberty State Park. That was awesome! I was a lifeguard that summer and we all took a day off together to see it. My favorite was probably a James Taylor one in upstate NY - the whole audience had their arms around each other and started singing along to "Shower the People" as a light rain started to fall.  Oh! And the Indigo Girls in Long Beach - they so rule.

I love british rock, some indie stuff, I've loved the Indigo Girls since I was 13, I'm a Jersey Girl so Springsteen and Bon Jovi are a given. I've been to more concerts and music festivals than I can count. (My husband works in the music industry so we get free tix every so often)
I skated w. my roller derby team at the Warped Tour so we got to hang back stage w. the bands. I was in a Datsuns music video, "Girls Best Friend"  (they're pretty good too!), Guided By Voices, Grateful Dead, Linkin Park, Metallica, Green Day (my soundtrack every track season in high school and college) Diana Krall, Garth Brooks, Bob Seger, The Who, Beatles, Stones

I guess my tastes run the gammut. I've got everything from country, jazz, metal, rock, folk  - I'll listen to damn near anything!
"Well behaved women rarely make history."

ttjoon

OH MY GOSH, Jen.....Indigo Girls are my all time FAVORITE!!!  Saw them at the Grove of Anaheim and my husband and I were right up front.  So awesome!!!!!

That night was definitely, "Closer I was to Fine"

Galileo is my favorite song.  I'll never forget the first time I heard the Indigo Girls.  The year was 1992 and it was that song.  The line, "How Long Till My Soul Gets It Right?" was sung, and I was going through such a rough time in my personal life.  I heard that line, and the dam just burst. I can still remember trying to drive and see the road through the floodgates at the same time.  I have been a huge fan of their music ever since.

ttjoon

Besides IG and JT, I love

Genesis
Rush
Steely Dan
Donald Fagen
ELO
Moody Blues
The Cult
The Smiths
KD Lang
Journey
Toby Mac
Jeremy Camp
Matthew West
DC Talk
Bochelli (sp?)
Josh Grobin
Dido
Vivaldi
Mozart
Melissa Etheridge (sp?)
Diana Krall
Chanticleer

I guess I am all over the map as far as my taste in music goes.  I have just discovered Opera and I love it.

leslie

I love all types of music... Classic Rock, to KROQ, to Sade (sexy jazz type music), to some punk and heavy metal. I don't care for too much country and classical music (unless my daughter is dancing ballet to it).

Best concert ever... Pink Floyd (on shrooms). I too, like Dave's friends, don't remember the opening song. It ended with "Shine On You Crazy Diamonds", at least I think it did.  What a flipp'n good trip that was. 1994 Rose Bowl. I loved Pink Floyd and still do.

I saw several crazy Greatful Dead concerts, although I was not a 90's hippie nor a dead head. I just enjoyed the "atmosphere" and my friends were all little Jerry Bears  ;o).

Other great concerts memory's were "A night with Metallica" 6 hours of straight Metallica, Elton John with Billy Joel, Janes Addiction w/Nine Inch Nails and ... ready for this one ... Styx, REO Speedwagon and Journey all in one show.

Worst Concert was Kenny Loggins. It was also my first concert in 7th grade. LOL!

ttjoon

Hey now...back off of old Kenny.  I love Kenny.  That is until I saw him for the 20th time and then.....I lost that lovin' feeling.

Elton John was my first concert at Irvine Meadows and REO SPUDWAGON was my second.  Survivor opened for them and I swear, I couldn't hear for 2 weeks afterwards.

TAPS Jen

Tracy - I think you may have to be my new best friend!!!
"Well behaved women rarely make history."

ellie

Music to me is the same. If it was a drug I would totally need to go to rehab!

dwalters

OH MY GOD....The last time I did shrooms I thought the felt on my pool table was turning into the freaking forest! I kept rubbing my hands on it just to make sure it wasn't as tall as it appeared. I can't handle hallucinates, I really don't like that feeling of not being able to recognize what I'm seeing. I remember taking a piss outside in the front yard, and looking up at this HUGE palm tree...and it suddenly zoomed way in and I thought it was going to fall on me. I had to pinch off my stream and run back into the garage LOL. My garage was my "safe zone", all was good in my garage...except for my damn pool table, but the balls on my pool table were freaking gorgeous, especially the 10 ball for some reason!

I DO NOT CONDONE THE USE OF DRUGS AT ALL!!!!! (but try them at least once in your life)

ttjoon

Quote from: PPI Ellie on February 29, 2008, 10:38:47 PM
If it was a drug I would totally need to go to rehab!

"......but I said, No, No, Nooooo"

PPI Karl

Quote from: sjunkins21 on February 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Hey all!
I just wanted to get a feel for everyone's music tastes.  I've spent the last 3 nights going to some pretty amazing shows and was hoping everyone had some good concert stories to share!

Gary Numan/Tubeway Army ("Gar-reeee!")
Kate Bush
Peter Gabriel
Tory Amos
J-Pop (usually the alternative-sounding theme songs, but just from the anime I watch)
Thomas Dolby
Lene Lovich
Nine Inch Nails
Erasure
Placebo
Puccini
Sting/The Police
Kitchens Of Distinction
Beautiful South ("He was just a social drinker, but . . . social every night")
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Casey Stratton
Annie Lennox/Eurythmics
B-52s
Bauhaus / Sisters Of Mercy
Kraftwerk
Prince
Mike Oldfield
Jean Luc Ponty

Some of these were musical interests from way, way, way, way, waaaay back.  Some, I'm embarrassed to say are still very current.  Others I'm not embarrassed to still listen to at all.

Best concert overall:  Gary Numan, Telekon Tour, 1980, Milwaukee Arena.  If you've ever seen Urgh! A Music War, you might remember the act where Gary drives out on stage in this  thing that's kind of like Christopher Pike's automated wheel chair.  Unbelievable.  I still have the t-shirt, the first I've ever bought at a concert.

Best concert experience:  Nina Hagen, at the former Casbah.  I don't know if San Diegans just weren't sophisticated enough to have appreciated this rare jewel, but I never in my life expected Nina Hagen to be doing such a small venue, nor did I expect to have a table quite literally within spitting distance of her.  I had to stuff cocktail napkins in my ears, and still I was partially deaf for days.  Of course, the circumstances required one to be drunk and/or stoned.   At one point, we thought the roof would cave in because everyone was stomping up and down so loudly.  I think the only thing keeping it up was the cigarette smoke. :-\

Strangest concert:  Eartha Kitt, at the Palace of Culture, in Warsaw, Poland, while being booed by conservative philistines in one half of the concert hall for her pro-Israeli politics, and from the other half of the hall being blitzed with tears, cries of "We love you" and red roses from people who looked like they had just given up and come by taxi from a West Berlin  S + M karaoke bar because they couldn't think of a nifty enough safe-word.
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

ttjoon

Karl, ya blinded me with science!   8)

FLASHBACK TO THE 80's!! WOOO HOOO! 

If you love Erasure...ya gotta love Alison Moyet and YAZ (Upstairs at Eric's) Love that album!  That's right boys and girls...ALBUM...as in VINYL! 

Nina Hagen is a name I haven't heard in forever!  (I heard she passed away?)

OMG...Lene Lovich?  Awesome.  Kate Bush and Tori Amos....incredible musicians.

Modern English
The English Beat - They STILL play here at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano!
Madness
Billy Idol (I'm a Rebel Yeller at heart)

I'm going back to my high school and college days........Back when KROQ was GOOD!  OMG...I sounded like MY PARENTS just then!

PPI Karl

Quote from: PPI Tracy on March 01, 2008, 07:02:39 PM(Upstairs at Eric's) Love that album!  That's right boys and girls...ALBUM...as in VINYL!  Nina Hagen is a name I haven't heard in forever!  (I heard she passed away?)

I think Nina Hagen's still very much alive, and is an active protester against the war in Iraq.  When I had visited Ireland in 1982, I came home with this cool new album with a hit song I'd heard featured on one of the UK billboard shows:  "Situation."  Only, the name of the group was Yazoo, so I kept telling my friends to get the new Yazoo album.  Turns out all the record stories were stocked with Upstairs At Erics by a group called Yaz; however, if you peeled off the sticker with the group's name on it, you could find the original pressing as "Yazoo."  (Some legal battle with another U.S. group by the same name occurred and forced them to truncate their name.)  I used to dance . . . I mean REALLY seriously dance . . . to "State Farm" whenever the DJs played it. 

Oh gawd be wit' the days.  :'
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

ttjoon

I had forgotten that the original name of the group was actually "Yazoo".  I like the name "Yaz" better, anyway.  I have two of Alison's followup albums..'Raindancing" and another one that i am too tired to recall at the moment.  My best friend and I went to go see Aison Moyet at the Wiltern back in 1988.  It was just her and she was amazing.  She lost about a thousand pounds and got very very thin.  Almost unrecognizable.  I know she is still out there making music.  I should check her out and see what she is up to. That song "Situation" is so classic.  i love it. Ah...memory lane.  What a fine street it is.

Todd

i like rock, hip hop, almost everything except country lol
Love is giving someone the power to distroy you, but trusting they wont

sjunkins21

I'm headed out to SXSW in Austin, TX tomorrow! Wish me luck, my company is putting on FOUR showcases in two days.  Yeesh...I'm gonna be tired after this one.

OH!  And if you play Rock Band...download the new song pack with Paramore, Serj Tankian (from System of a Down), and Black Tide.  We partnered with Xbox Live and Rock Band to do our showcases, and those are three bands that are playing our shows this week.  Very cool.  :)
"Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back."
-Dr. Peter Venkman

SkyPanther

I like Trance/Techno, Alternative/Punk/Rock, Classical.

I don't like most rap... too much violence/homophobia/misogyny for my tastes.

ellie

Have you heard of siguros?