www.pacificparanormal.com

Sundry Topics => Open Forum => Topic started by: PPI Karl on February 27, 2009, 01:44:07 PM

Title: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Karl on February 27, 2009, 01:44:07 PM
Anyone been to startrekmovie.com (http://www.startrekmovie.com/) yet?  Check out some of the trailers for the new movie.  The film looks like it's going to be just fantastic.

I have to say, I was hugely incredulous about Karl Urban playing "Bones" McCoy, but . . . absolutely dead-on perfect casting.  I bow to the wisdom of the great JJ Abrams.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Brian on February 27, 2009, 02:24:10 PM
Hi Karl,

I saw this trailer online and it blew me away. I am really looking forward to this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdneFmLn0Sg
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: ldwalkup on February 27, 2009, 04:02:06 PM
I'm looking forward to it as well.  I loved it when it came out in the 60's.  I had a crush on Wm. Shatner.  He was so handsome.  It will be exciting to see an updated version of it.  I like Karl Urban.  He should do well.  Spock is played by the guy who plays Skylar on Heroes.  I can see him in Spock's role.  I'll be one of the first in line to see it when it comes out.  "Live well and prosper"! 
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: Brian Johnson on February 27, 2009, 04:14:56 PM
I think a PPI movie night is in the cards for us, because I am dieing to see this movie.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: ldwalkup on February 27, 2009, 04:41:02 PM
That would be fun.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Jason on February 27, 2009, 05:54:37 PM
Yeah, I try not to go to the website too much because I get too excited and have like zero patience.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: sjunkins21 on February 28, 2009, 12:10:43 AM
Speaking of movies...is anyone as excited for Watchmen next week as I am??  I'm super bummed because I had a chance to go to the premiere at the Chinese Theater on Monday, but I'll be in Milwaukee on a business trip.  :(
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: Brian Johnson on February 28, 2009, 03:31:55 AM
You lucky SOB, I would kill for an opportunity like that. I'd quit my job if I had to.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: ldwalkup on February 28, 2009, 11:26:35 PM
Too bad you can't go to the premiere.  It looks like it's going to be good.

Also, I'm looking forward to the "Wolfman" remake with Benecia del Toro as Larry Talbot.  That's coming out some this Spring or Fall.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: sjunkins21 on March 01, 2009, 12:57:21 AM
Yeah...I have a pretty awesome job sometimes.  :)

I actually could have gone to see the movie about a month ago on the studio lot, but I wanted to wait and see it with friends instead of going by myself.  :P

A colleague of mine went and came back with one thing to say..."wow...there's a lot of blue wang in that movie."  :P
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Karl on March 01, 2009, 11:59:52 AM
Quote from: PPI Brian on February 27, 2009, 04:14:56 PM
I think a PPI movie night is in the cards for us, because I am dieing to see this movie.

I think this is a great idea.  I'm not sure I'd want to stand in line on May 8, but I think dinner and a movie would be an excellent group activity.  Be warned:  I don't put out on a first date.  (But, technically, dinner and a movie are two dates, so by the time time dessert comes . . .    >:].)
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Brian on March 01, 2009, 08:22:38 PM
Then Hooley's and Edwards Theaters sounds like the best place. I believe a shot or two of Jameson's would make the total movie experience even more enjoyable.  >:]
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Tim on March 11, 2009, 12:27:45 PM
Yes Brian M, a shot or two of whiskey is a way to beam up ;D
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: Brenna on March 11, 2009, 03:28:39 PM
There is a TON of blue wang in the watchmen movie. It was completely superfluous. They need to buy Mr. Manhattan some more clothes!



Quote from: sjunkins21 on March 01, 2009, 12:57:21 AM
Yeah...I have a pretty awesome job sometimes.  :)

I actually could have gone to see the movie about a month ago on the studio lot, but I wanted to wait and see it with friends instead of going by myself.  :P

A colleague of mine went and came back with one thing to say..."wow...there's a lot of blue wang in that movie."  :P
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Karl on March 11, 2009, 04:06:04 PM
Quote from: PPI Brenna on March 11, 2009, 03:28:39 PM
There is a TON of blue wang in the watchmen movie. It was completely superfluous. They need to buy Mr. Manhattan some more clothes!



Quote from: sjunkins21 on March 01, 2009, 12:57:21 AM
Yeah...I have a pretty awesome job sometimes.  :)

I actually could have gone to see the movie about a month ago on the studio lot, but I wanted to wait and see it with friends instead of going by myself.  :P

A colleague of mine went and came back with one thing to say..."wow...there's a lot of blue wang in that movie."  :P

Okay.  Now I'm interested.  >:]  (You are, of course, talking about that '80s computer company, right?)
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: Brian Johnson on March 11, 2009, 06:14:50 PM
If you go to the Star Trek movie's myspace they have put up a new trailer.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: Brian Johnson on April 22, 2009, 03:11:17 PM
They have begun releasing little clips from the movie.

Kirk meets McCoy
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=55966686

Kirk and Scotty confront Spock
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=55967060

The New Movie Trailer
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=55966158
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Karl on April 22, 2009, 03:24:59 PM
I am THRILLED about this movie--from director to casting choices.  Can't wait.  Looks like they're going to get it right.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Tim on April 22, 2009, 07:55:26 PM
Karl,
Are you a stickler when it comes to the "cannon" of Star Trek?
I heard something about this movie that makes me go Hummmmmm.......
A friend of mine at work told me that the director is scarping the cannon(original storyline) of Star Trek.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Karl on April 23, 2009, 11:59:30 AM
Actually, I'm more a stickler about adhering to Gene Roddenberry's vision, which is why Rick Berman and Brandon Braga disappointed me so many times when the series was resurrected (Enterprise being, by far, the worst).  Director JJ Abrams was, in my opinion, the only writer for the resurrected TV series who succeeded in capturing Roddenberry's vision, and was a damned good script writer to boot.  You've got me curious, though.  What departures from canon can we expect?  Spill the gossip, Perez.  ;D
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Tim on April 23, 2009, 01:51:54 PM
My friend says that they changed Capt. Kirk's middle name to Siberius.
More to come..
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Karl on April 23, 2009, 02:06:10 PM
Quote from: PPI Tim on April 23, 2009, 01:51:54 PM
My friend says that they changed Capt. Kirk's middle name to Siberius.
More to come..

LOL!  In the trailers, the kid playing the child Kirk enunciates his own name really, really badly:  "James 'Iberius Kirk"  :D
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Tim on April 23, 2009, 06:32:36 PM
Since the last I wrote...
I did some reading on the star trek cannon.
No wonder why the director wants to scrap the cannon.
It really can be a mish mash of storylines and discrepancies. Too many to tell
Despite all the junk...I hear it is going to be the movie of the summer.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: Brian Johnson on April 23, 2009, 08:13:14 PM
I certainly hope so.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Jason on April 24, 2009, 11:06:22 AM
I'm so jazzed about this. But then again, I was excited about the Star Wars Prequels and have had to simply pretend in my own head that they don't exist in the hopes that maybe someone will re-do the Episodes I, II, and III and get it right.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: Brian Johnson on April 24, 2009, 12:10:46 PM
You shut up, right now! :'( >:[ :'( >:[ ;D
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Tim on April 24, 2009, 12:30:27 PM
Now, Now.
Don't loose faith.
I'm sure somebody will try and redo the star wars series. ;)
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Karl on April 24, 2009, 12:56:06 PM
I'm hoping that, with amazing film adaptations like Lord Of the Rings in recent memory and the spiritual resurrection of the flagging Batman series, there's a trend in sci fi and fantasy movie-remaking to "get it right."  (Actually, don't laugh, but I feel it began with the remaking of Dune, one of the best mini-series the Sci Fi Channel has ever done--so good, in fact, that they were able to take a chance and follow it with Herbert's sequel, Children Of Dune.)

I'm confident that Abrams understands the bar has been raised very high, and that, after the abysmal failure of Star Trek: Nemesis (which I quite liked) and the euthanizing of Enterprise, all eyes are going to be on him.  This will be a career-killer if he doesn't "get it right."

On the other hand, better directors have made bigger boondoggles.  I suppose that's why Ang Lee's Hulk almost had to be erased from memory by Louis Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk. 
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Jason on April 24, 2009, 05:36:12 PM
Speaking of "All eyes being on Abrams" did any of you see a recent episode of CSI (the one based in Las Vegas) where a murder occurred at a Sci-Fi convention?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnib5uBdR-0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnib5uBdR-0)

It included a bunch of spoofs on the original Star Trek series. The convention was called the "Whatifitcon" and the fans, including two of the CSIs, were there buying paraphernalia from an old science fiction television show from the 60s that looked just like Star Trek (Astro Quest). The two CSIs developed a love interest and the male kept daydreaming about the female CSI in the context of the old television show. It was hilarious. One scene he fantisizes about the girl as a "Tegillian slave girl" and you hear phrases like "I'm not a seamstress, I'm a coroner's investigator damn it" and "He's dead Jim" peppered all over. It reminded me of "Galaxy Quest" which is my favorite spoof on Star Trek of all time.

The murder, however, was based around the murder of a producer/writer who was trying to "Re-do" the original television show in a TV series called "Astro Quest: Redux." But his version, instead of being sterile and idealized, has all kinds of darkness and shows the main characters as VERY imperfect and non-heroic. Many of the fans were really angry with the guy for destroying the original version.

It reminded me of the kind of furor that happened when they re-did Battlestar Galactica. The original show was pretty sterile, but the new version was much darker. I love the new BG and think it was one of the best shows on TV. But there was a lot of uproar early on. I remember there being uproar when "Star Trek the Next Generation" came out as well. I was initially very reluctant to watch it. I wanted a Kirk-like Captain that would fight and make out with aliens. But it didn't take long for me to latch onto to the show much like I had to the old one.

The point is, for some of us, these shows are almost sacred and the fact that "canons" develop in both religions as well as epic science fiction quests confirms the impact that they have on people and their belief systems. It must be very challenging to take something old and venerated and try to inject it with your new vision in a way that will entertain a newer generation without getting the old guard so pissed off they want to crucify you.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Karl on April 24, 2009, 05:47:56 PM
Well put, Jason.

Galaxy Quest is one of my favorites, as well.  (The DVD comes with language tracks in English, German, and Thermian.  Hilarious.)  Have you seen either of the two Trekkies documentaries?
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Jason on April 24, 2009, 06:07:04 PM
I haven't. I wasn't even aware of them but they sound interesting.

I've been a Trekker my whole life but not a devout one. I was a better Trekker than I was a Catholic, however  :D
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: ldwalkup on April 25, 2009, 10:24:08 PM
I liked Galaxy Quest too.  I saw the CSI you were referring to.  I liked it and noticed the similarities in the daydreaming sequences to some Star Trek episodes. 
They cracked me up and brought back memories to James T. Kirk and his crew.  I had a crush on William Shatner.
Star Trek used to come out Friday nights (date night).  I stayed home many Friday nights to watch Star Trek.  My favorite episode is "The Trouble With Tribbles".



Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Jason on April 25, 2009, 11:19:02 PM
I LOVED that episode  :) Tribbles are classic!!!

One of my favorite funny episodes was "A Piece of the Action." It was so funny when Kirk and Spock were trying to fit in with the gangster culture that had developed on one of the planets they were visiting. My favorite part was when Kirk was trying to escape by distracting the guards by teaching them a new card game called "Fizbin." It had all these funky rules like "a two of clubs beats a full house....but only on Tuesdays." It was classic. I immediately went out with my friends in the front yard and started teaching them a similar game based on basketball I called "Fizbin." It had a bunch of weird rules too, and everyone thought I was hilarious. They didn't know I got it from Star Trek. None of my friends even knew what Star Trek was. I miss those days.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: ldwalkup on April 26, 2009, 02:15:29 AM
That was a good one. 
Another of my favorites was "The Menagerie" with Jeffrey Hunter.  I think that one was two hours.  Spock was accused of mutiny for comandeering the Enterprise to take them back to a planet.
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Star Trek.  I hope we won't be disappointed. 
There's also a remake coming of the Wolf Man with Benecio Del Torro as Larry Talbot.  Looking forward to that one too.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: Brian Johnson on May 08, 2009, 04:47:30 AM
I did something bad. :-[

I saw the new Star Trek, this evening. Please accept my apologies, fellow PPI members. I will say it was really good though.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Tim on May 08, 2009, 11:47:56 AM
That's ok Brian J
I didn't want to see it with you anyway. ;D
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Jason on May 08, 2009, 04:31:37 PM
Okay, good to know. I'll just go see this one on my own I suppose.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: ldwalkup on May 08, 2009, 05:57:48 PM
At 10:30 this morning, I was armed with pop corn and Mr. Pibb to see Star Trek.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It left me wanting more.  I thought casting was great.  Spock was so much like the original, Leonard Nimoy.  Can't wait for a sequal.

Next movies to see:  Transformers and Land of the Lost (remember Land of the Lost Saturday mornings?).
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Karl on May 08, 2009, 08:26:17 PM
Tom Bevis's CinemaSpartan review, fresh off the press:

http://www.cinemaspartan.com/2009/05/star-trek/

On a personal note, when I asked Tom about this on Thursday, I've never seen him . . . (sorry, Tom) emote about anything quite in the way he did about this movie.  Good sign, IMO.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Brian on May 08, 2009, 11:40:39 PM
Quote from: ldwalkup on May 08, 2009, 05:57:48 PM
At 10:30 this morning, I was armed with pop corn and Mr. Pibb to see Star Trek.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It left me wanting more.  I thought casting was great.  Spock was so much like the original, Leonard Nimoy.  Can't wait for a sequal.

Next movies to see:  Transformers and Land of the Lost (remember Land of the Lost Saturday mornings?).

I'm envious. I had to drive up to our Rancho Cucamonga office and work all day today. Did Leonard Nimoy make a cameo appearance in this movie?
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: Brian Johnson on May 09, 2009, 12:19:50 AM
I edited Linda's post because of spoilers, regarding that very topic. Its kind of important to the movie that I do not reveal such information.
Title: Re: Star Trek (The New Movie)
Post by: PPI Tim on May 09, 2009, 02:27:44 AM
I saw it today at Rancho Edwards.
The actors did their best to incorporate characteristics of the original actors. They were successful. I enjoyed the movie. It is worth owning.
Expect more movies to come.