News:

Here as a guest? Welcome! If you found a topic or discussion you like, we hope you'll register. Besides getting privileges to reply and start your own topics, you'll receive access to expanded content and entire boards unavailable to the general public. Sign up now! It's simple and fast.

Main Menu

The Borley Rectory Companion

Started by PPI Brian, December 04, 2017, 07:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

I received a copy of this book for Christmas a few years ago, and meant to post a thorough review. During our 2017 presentation at the Mission Valley Library, I was reminded of this book and went back to read it again. It's a fascinating compilation of all the available background information on the case, including a detailed presentation of the Harry Price investigation. Filled with photos, biographies, floor plans and maps, I highly recommend this book if you're interested in learning more about the Borley Hauntings.

The Borley Rectory Companion

From the publisher?s website: The definitive guide to 'the most haunted house in England' Borley Rectory in Essex, built in 1862, should have been an ordinary Victorian clergyman's house. However, just a year after its construction, unexplained footsteps were heard within the house, and from 1900 until it burned down in 1939 numerous paranormal phenomena, including phantom coaches and shattering windows, were observed. In 1929 the house was investigated by the Daily Mail and paranormal researcher Harry Price, and it was he who called it 'the most haunted house in England.' Price also took out a lease of the rectory from 1937 to 1938, recruiting forty-eight 'official observers' to monitor occurences. After his death in 1948, the water was muddied by claims that Price's findings were not genuine paranormal activity, and ever since there has been a debate over what really went on at Borley Rectory. Paul Adams, Eddie Brazil and Peter Underwood here present a comprehensive guide to the history of the house and the ghostly (or not) goings-on there.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4948327-the-borley-rectory-companion
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

RobertMo

Cheers, Brian. I'm going to check this book out. Borley Rectory is certainly a fascinating building.

PPI Brian

A new film about Borley Rectory is being released in time for Halloween 2021 in the UK!  ;D

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan