News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

New Looks At Atlantis Launch

Started by PPI Brian, May 26, 2010, 02:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Brian

NASAtelevision posted this amazing video today, which highlights the May 14, 2010 launch of space shuttle Atlantis from NASAs Kennedy Space Center. Video includes views of the liftoff from multiple cameras in and around launch pad 39A. Separation of the solid rocket boosters is most impressive.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/cKPqomW5kDI&hl=en_US&fs=1&
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."--Carl Sagan

Gary

That was a really cool video Brian!!  Thank you.  It has to be so exhilarating to be sitting in the cockpit during a shuttle launch.  Talk about one sweet adrenaline rush!   >:]
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Brian

I suppose they should have called this video Last Look At Atlantis Launch. She landed at Kennedy Space Center this morning, completing her 32nd flight, and will now be retired. Discovery is up next, scheduled for launch in September or October, followed by Endeavour late this year or early next on what is currently planned as the shuttle program's final mission. Following the last shuttle flight, the United States will for the first time in over 50 years have no manned space flight capability, because President Obama has cancelled the Constellation program. If the U.S. wants to send astronauts to the Space Station we spent billions of dollars to build and maintain, we will have to pay another country to do so. Maybe it's just me, but I find that scenario unacceptable.

Atlantis was first launched in October 1985. She flew five military missions, made seven flights to the Russian Mir space station and 11 to the International Space Station. She launched two planetary probes (Magellan to Venus and Galileo to Jupiter), deployed the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory, and visited the Hubble Space Telescope for a final overhaul last year.

While Atlantis is not scheduled to fly again, she will be processed for launch on a possible rescue mission if Endeavour experiences a major problem that might prevent a safe re-entry.

Gary

Brian, that sucks.  It makes me mad that our President has done that.  I'm sorry, but he needs to go. 
Gary \m/
An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself!

PPI Brian

Quote from: PPI Gary on May 26, 2010, 02:00:37 PM
Brian, that sucks.  It makes me mad that our President has done that.  I'm sorry, but he needs to go. 

The President's budget for NASA is short sighted and misleading, but he is still the better candidate for office.

Obama's budget proposal says that NASA should get out of the launch vehicle production business and let private contractors provide our country's launch capability. While there is nothing wrong with that premise on the surface, it is deeply flawed because no private contractors currently have a manned launch vehicle they can offer to NASA for purchase, nor do they have any plans to build one. R & D costs alone would be staggering, and contractors would probably outsource production to foreign countries instead of building the vehicles in the States. Cancelling our country's only viable launch vehicle program hoping that private industry will step up to the plate and provide launch vehicles that don't currently exist makes absolutely no sense. The Ares rocket is currently in production, and is nearly ready for service. Pulling the plug on a program that we have invested billions of dollars developing will put thousands of skilled workers, engineers, and vendors out of business and negatively impact our economy.

http://www.youtube.com/v/vQvl0pY8GkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&

The budget for FY2011 has not yet been approved, so there is time to lobby congress to save the Ares program. Sorry, I will get off my soapbox... for now.

Gary

Has anyone ever seen a shuttle launch in person?
Gary \m/

ljiljanac

I haven't seen the actually shuttle launch but I've seen it landing a couple of times.  While in the Marine Corps, I was stationed up at Edwards AFB.  The shuttle used to land and stop right across from our hangar.  We'd watch the astronauts hop out and drive off in a truck.  lol  The landing is insane!!

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Lillie on May 27, 2010, 11:35:23 PM
I haven't seen the actually shuttle launch but I've seen it landing a couple of times.  While in the Marine Corps, I was stationed up at Edwards AFB.  The shuttle used to land and stop right across from our hangar.  We'd watch the astronauts hop out and drive off in a truck.  lol  The landing is insane!!
Now, that is cool!
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

ljiljanac

Yah!  It comes down at mega-high speed at what looks like a near vertical drop and then planes out to land on the runway.  Then the chute deploys and this teeny looking space shuttle comes to a stop on the runway.  It really is pretty small...a lot smaller than I ever imagined!  The launch has GOT to be pretty intense!

PPI Debra

Quote from: PPI Lillie on May 28, 2010, 12:05:49 AM
Yah!  It comes down at mega-high speed at what looks like a near vertical drop and then planes out to land on the runway.  Then the chute deploys and this teeny looking space shuttle comes to a stop on the runway.  It really is pretty small...a lot smaller than I ever imagined!  The launch has GOT to be pretty intense!

It must make allot of noise... it breaks the sound barrier coming down.
I would have been speechless watching it either way: up or down!
"If you're after gettin' the honey, don't go killin' all the bees." -Joe Strummer

ljiljanac

Yah, you definitely hear it break the sound barrier but really no louder than anything else.  I don't remember it being any louder than a plane, which is essentially what it is on landing.  I will never forget that.  I only wish I could see a launch.  :)