News:

Did you know PPI isn't just a forum? We have a comprehensive website packed to the gills with resources to educate and illuminate. Come visit us at  www.pacificparanormal.org.

Main Menu

San Diego Science Festival Paranormal Seminar, March 21, featuring PPI

Started by PPI Karl, March 20, 2009, 12:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPI Karl

Just wanted to invite everyone who lives in the area and can make it, to join PPI at San Diego Grossmont College's first ever Science Festival, a participant in the San Diego County Science Fair.  Attendance of all festival events is free and open to the public. Our multi-media seminar on paranormal investigating is called Science and Beyond:  An Educated Look at Ghost Hunting

Saturday, March 21, 2009, 2:00 p.m.
Room 220, Grossmont College
8800 Grossmont College Drive
El Cajon, CA  92020

Because it's a science festival, the main emphasis in our seminar will be on the use of critical thinking and the scientific method rather than metaphysics.  We hope to separate science from pseudo-science by focusing on the history of ghost hunting, the application of the scientific method, the modern paranormal investigator's toolbox, logical fallacies and dishonest critical thinking, and the problems inherent in using the scientific method to analyze and make conclusions about evidence.

There will be a table adjacent the stage where anyone can come and check out more literature, equipment, displays, hands-on stuff, throughout the day.  Any of you are welcome to lay out some literature of your own on the table. You'll find dots on the campus walkways leading you to our event.  However, there are plenty of other really cool exhibits to check out throughout the weekend.  Here's a link to the college's Festival website.  Please don't let the disappointingly simplistic website (whose design I had absolutely nothing to do with) fool you into thinking the events are going to be anything but fantastic!  Download the programme; get directions and info about parking (free, free, free), and more.  Please tell your friends. 

If anyone has any questions about the event, don't hesitate to leave them here, or contact me at PPI_Karl@yahoo.com.  And, if you come, be sure to introduce yourself to us!  We'd like to meet you.

BTW, the good folks at Leinster Para Radio were kind enough to announce our event.  Please give them a visit and listen to the radio program!
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.

Tom Bevis

The presentation was great.  I was actually surprised how many people it had managed to pull in.  It's a shame you folks didn't have the chance to do a question and answer session and all that business.  Do you guys plan on doing anymore seminars?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry.  That's the problem, it's not the photographer's fault.  Bigfoot is a big, out-of-focus monster." -- Mitch Hedberg

Brian Johnson

Yes Tom, as a matter of fact, we were approached by the Dean of Cuyamaca College. He would like us to do a presentation at his school as well. Also we should hopefully be using this as a launching point for our paranormal 101 classes.

Tom Bevis

Paranormal 101, huh?  Should be interesting.  Have you folks talked dates for your engagement at Cuyamaca?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry.  That's the problem, it's not the photographer's fault.  Bigfoot is a big, out-of-focus monster." -- Mitch Hedberg

SCP_Dave

AWESOME! I'm super stoked for you guys! I'm glad the presentation went so well, and drew a crowd! I WISH was there!! Ellie and I got stuck at Best Buy for HOURS. It's a long story, but let's just say that I STILL hate PC's!! We just didn't have time between Best Buy and our investigation to head up to the festival. I was totally looking forward to it too! :( but it sounds like I'll be able to catch something at Cuyamaca :) ROCK ON PPI!!

Brian Johnson

As of yet, we have not scheduled anything with Cuyamaca College. However, we should be in talks with them soon.

PPI Karl

Quote from: SCP_Dave on March 23, 2009, 02:00:34 PM
AWESOME! I'm super stoked for you guys! I'm glad the presentation went so well, and drew a crowd! I WISH was there!! Ellie and I got stuck at Best Buy for HOURS. It's a long story, but let's just say that I STILL hate PC's!! We just didn't have time between Best Buy and our investigation to head up to the festival. I was totally looking forward to it too! :( but it sounds like I'll be able to catch something at Cuyamaca :) ROCK ON PPI!!

Thanks, Dave.  That's my hope.  I don't want to be too optimistic or presumptuous until we actually talk to Cuyamaca.  You know how it is:  strangers sometimes just say things they don't mean, just to sound encouraging.  Like I said, though, I'm hopeful--but cautious.  And even if Cuyamaca doesn't host another seminar, we absolutely have plans to expand this into regular classes and private seminars.  (Now, when people ask, "Do you do parties?" maybe we can say, "Yeah, actually."   ;D)
If you want to end your misery, start enjoying it, because there's nothing the universe begrudges more than our enjoyment.